iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A horse of course....

Started by crtreedude, November 02, 2006, 02:17:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crtreedude

Nothing at all to do with sawing except I have to have horses to check the plantations (340 acres now and we ain't done yet!)

So, I am buying horses, again. Bought two recently. One, a mare heavy with foal (like 2 weeks we figure) and a Stallion (not his fault - another farm) who is the color of blackberry - and that is now his name.

No idea what the mare is like to ride yet and it will be a couple of months before we know but Blackberry is a dream. He isn't very big but beautifully portioned and incredibly well behaved. Well, he is Amy's horse now.  ::)

My horse just turned up. A little background on buying horses. I don't select them. I just pay for them. When you have people who pretty much have lived on horses for all their life, you describe what you want, and they find them - and usually better than you expected.

Anyway, my horse showed up. A gelding that is about 5 years old. Not too big (a big horse isn't good on our hills) but big enough. We saw him as he was being rode to our office and thought - what a beautiful horse - and then he turned into the office!

I know, I know, got to have photos!

Oh, I know some of you are curious - the cost for the horses so far.

Mare  = 200 dollars
Blackberry = 260 dollars
My horse = 360 dollars

I bought another horse recently, a big grey - this one was 600 dollars.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

mike_van

You'd have to add a few zero's and some spare change to buy the ones my wife rides - Those are pretty good prices, up here the vet won't come for that amount!!   :D
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

crtreedude

I hate to tell you this - but I have had several visitors with expensive horses up North who wanted to take ours home.

My theory is this - if it isn't a good horse here, it doesn't survive long... And there are a LOT of horses to choose from. Colts and fillies are nearly free.

Vets are pretty cheap - and you don't need them very often because everyone knows what to do normally. And since you didn't spend thousands on the horse, you aren't going to pay thousands to doctor one either.

crtreedude

Got to head out - I'll try to get some fotos for the next time I am in the office

Murf

Quote from: crtreedude on November 02, 2006, 02:17:42 PM
Not too big (a big horse isn't good on our hills) but big enough.

I guess I'm not goin' up any hills if'n I go fer a visit. Not on a horse anyways.    :D

'Course I could always ride a donkey I suppose.  ::)

I wonder if me ona' back of a donkey would cause confusion.

Folks'd be wonderin' which was the err umm, never mind...........   ;)
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

rebocardo

Cheaper then an ATV and probably  ;) get better gas mileage

crtreedude

Not to be indelicate - but horses produce their own gas...  ::)

sawguy21

I don't ride horses. Want something that starts and stops when I want it to.  :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

crtreedude

Woodcarver

My Grandfather said that the reason he used his draft horses to do winter chores was that they always started and the tractor sometimes didn't.  :)
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

weimedog

Our family indulges in the horse thing. One daughter spends most of her free time playing polo and related activities. I have two, My wife has three, One girl has three and the other thre more.

We retrain retired Thoroughbred and find their skill sets and homes for them to go. Sort of a rescue for retired race horses. Lots of work. Big emotional rewards when it works out for one. No money. Just a labor of love.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

leweee

Fred ....ever get Harold to ride a horse yet? ;D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

crtreedude

Nah - Harold still thinks if you don't put gas or diesel in it - it isn't suitable.  :D

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

crtreedude

Harold,

I suggest if you ever do get the hankering to try DON'T get on one of Hector's horses, get on one of mine. Hector's idea of a good horse isn't exactly for beginners...  :o

Fla._Deadheader

What makes ya think I'm a beginner  ???  I been riding off and on since I was 7. Just finally decided I didn't need to be taking chances as much as usual.  ::) ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

crtreedude

You can't count the times you fell off - that isn't called riding, that is called falling...  ;D

Fla._Deadheader

First, it is ridiculed;

Corley5

The thing I like about horses is that they eat hay which requires their owners to buy hay from a HayFarmer like me ;) ;D  This probably isn't true for those who live in Costa Rica.  Do you guys make hay down there ???
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

asy

Quote from: Corley5 on November 09, 2006, 09:10:51 PM
Do you guys make hay down there ???

And if so, do you do it while the sun shines?? hehe

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)

Seriously, though, Wouldn't there be enough pasture in CR? Surely the grass would grow really fast there?

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Fla._Deadheader

Lots of grass on the Caribbean slope and tops of the mountains. Pacific slope is getting dry and livestock gets sold off. There is hay down here. We are getting a few baby calves to raise and hay would be used for feed and some bedding. Cows get the squirts here pretty often.  ;D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

sawguy21

Quote from: crtreedude on November 09, 2006, 08:09:50 AM
Nah - Harold still thinks if you don't put gas or diesel in it - it isn't suitable.  :D
Yup  :D :D :D :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!