iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Glossary of terms

Started by Kevin, June 14, 2001, 05:51:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Is there a glossary of logging, milling and forestry terms somewhere?
I find the subject matter interesting but get lost with some of the terms.
It would be helpful to have a reference to some of the terms being used here such as "boxing" a log and other specific terminology used on the Timber Buyers forum.

Tom

Hey kevin,

There is bunches but this is a good one.
http://forestry.about.com/science/forestry/

If you are in a discount book store look for a book called The Encyclopedia of Wood, Sterling publishing.  The book cover says it is distributed in Canada by Oak Tree press, ltd.

Kevin

Thanks for the information Tom, maybe Jeff & Co. will consider making a calculator where you can type in the name and a definition will appear.
Similar to this one ...
http://www.m-w.com/netdict.htm

Jeff

Uh hum... Excuse me but... Do you guys ever go into the Main part of Timberbuyers?  Never seen the link to OUR Glossery??  Its way bigger then that lil ole forestry.about.whereplace:-X . There is a link on everypage of www.timberbuyer.net, but seeing as you guys are both foreigners, here is a direct link.

http://www.timberbuyer.net/glossary.htm ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Yes! Success! Kevin thinks I can compete with websters dictionary as an information source!

eh.(pronounced aay) 1. grassy food for livestock 2. First letter of 16 in the canadian alphabet.

Moose (pronounced mooose)1. creamy gel used to shape handle bar mustaches for Lumberjack competitions. 2. also used as a fixative for snowshoe straps.

Toronto 1. Indian friend of Canadian lone ranger.

Lumber:  The protective outer covering on thousands of canadian trucks sent to Michigan every year to help encase and hide the women they smuggle back.

:D :D :D :D

Tom

Kevin,

I found some more.  Even got some info about Canadian Forestry terminology.

It'll be good to post this stuff as we find it because I'm sure there are others who would like the information and links.

So, even if you have found these I'll put them on for "just in case".
http://www.nrcan-rncan.gc.ca/cfs-scf/science/prodserv/glossary_e.html

http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/PAB/PUBLCTNS/GLOSSARY/GLOSSARY.HTM

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/forests/gloss.html

http://www.abforestprod.org/ARglossary.html

Jeff, your right about Timber Buyers having a glossary of terms but I am already here.  I had to hunt those others.

Thought I might find one in French for Kevin.

Can't even find one in Southern for me  I have to translate most everything I read on the web.

Tom

Jeff,

How about a link in the Forestry Forum page somewhere that will me back to the Timberbuyer home page. Then looking in a Timberbuyer glossary would be real easy.

Kevin

Well I went to Jeffies vault of logging definitions and looked up box because he wants to make it easy for me, eh?

Box -See notch (24).
 -See undercut (6).

So now when Ron says "box" the heart I`ll know he means to notch it, eh?  :-/

Yes! Success! Kevin thinks I can compete with websters dictionary as an information source!

You mean you can`t?

Actually that`s not a bad link, I have been there before but had forgotten about it.

Jeff

Tom,

There is a link to Timber Buyers On the bottom of every page!

Kevin,

Box is not a forestry term in the sense Ron is using it. He is using it simply as a verb describing how he is sawing the log. "boxing the Heart" sawing the sides equally off the log leaving the center of the log as the center of the lumber.

Kevin

Jeff,
That was the impression I had when I read it but when you don`t know it can leave you (me) guessing, that was the reason for my original post.
I`m not in the business and I`ve only been milling with my Alaskan since this past winter so I`m not up on all the lingo just yet.

Jeff

Hell, I been in the biz for 22 years and I can't understand these guys... :D

Tom

Jeff,
Boxed heart is a valid sawing term and is found in forestry glossaries so I assume it is a valid Forestry term.  I get orders for boxed hearts and also for no pith.  Never saw "no pith" used as a term in a book before, just as a description.
 :-/

Thanks for directing me to the bottom of the page.  I have looked at that title of Timberbuyer down there and not realized what it was I was looking at.
I'm pretty dense most of the time. :-[

Jeff

Sometimes its hard to remember that as small as the world has become, its still pretty big, and any glossery may include terms or exclude some simply because of regional difference.

I told Kevin if he thinks I get outaline, to kick me straight! Ya know, I probably did not know what an Alasken Sawmill was until probably a year ago.

Here is one, What would this word mean in Your(meaning any of you)nick of the woods.

swampers

Gordon

Not to butt it but swampers are large mud tread tires on a 4 wheel drive truck. ;D

I wonder where the term Alasken saw mill came from. Was it invented in Alaska? Or because it's ease of use in the woods in hard to get to locations?

Hay Jeff when did you put those links on the bottom of the page?  :D :D :) 8) just kiddin

Gordon

Tom

Swampers down here are Homo Sapiens who live in the swamp.  Specifically the Okeefenokee.  It is a breed that has disappeared since Uncle Sam took over the swamp and prohibited anyone from living in it.  Least, anybody that they can find, but then that was the hallmark of the swamper. You didn't know where he was if he didn't want you to know.

I'm enjoying reading the Timberbuyer glossary.  There is stuff in there different than I've heard before. Alligator and crotch wouldn't be used in the same sentence around here. o-o-o-o-oh  ::)

Jeff

Two swampers so far, and neither the definitions I would know... Lets here more! Come on TimberBeast your a parttime Yooper and a Finlander..

Don P

Don't know any swampers, used to be a river rat, but hear tell we once had the swamp fox in the great dismal. Many great grandaddies ago came home from a yankee hospital after Richmond by the same route (apparently didn't care for the company ;D)
Was posting cause I hadn't heard the term no pith but have seen "free of heart". Some timber framers brag on that in their frames.

Tom

Well I went looking and this is all I could find:

here is a definition I never would have guessed:
http://www.nwyouthcorps.org/swampers.html

and this:
"Swampers" (a name for the Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section coined by Leon Russell and immortalized in the Lynyrd Skynyrd song, "Sweet Home Alabama")

and:
swamp·er
Pronunciation: 'swäm-p&r, 'swom-
Function: noun
Date: 1775
1 a : an inhabitant of swamps or lowlands b : one familiar with swampy terrain
2 : a general assistant : HANDYMAN, HELPER

I had heard the term relative to the trucking industry but didn't know what it meant, this was a surprise: http://www.swamper.com/

Jeff

Handyman and helper is close to one of the definitions I know. In many Sawmills, the guys that stach the lumber are called swampers, or tailers. Tailor coming from, I would guess working on the "tail" end of the saw. Expressed as "the low man on the totem pole has to tail the mill".

The other definition I know is sung about in a song called " The second week of deer camp" by da yoopers.

If you can't find da song I'll upload the MP3 somewhere eh?

Da Yoopers MP3

Ron Wenrich

Swamper

I remember looking at axes in Ben Meadows catalog a number of years ago, and they had a swamper's axe.  Seems to me, a swamper would either be someone who delimbs trees, or someone who clears brush around a tree for the fellers.

Tailer

Not the bottom of the totem pole.  He's the guy who catches off of the sawmill.  He makes sure everything hits the rolls and is pushed out so the next cut can be made.  

Not used much due to automation.  I did see a small video of them still being used in old growth timber.  The guy held the piece up so it wouldn't walk away from the log.  He made sure the piece fell onto the rolls.  I wonder how many of those guys they go through in a year?
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Ron Scott

Yes, the "swamper" is the helper, assistant to the main woodland task, ie. clears the brush for the tree faller, hooks and unhooks cables for the machine operators etc. Does the general labor part of the task, a helping hand.

I worked as a "swamper" on the pipeline construction across the U.P. in 1953. I assisted a D7 dozer operator on the pipe laying crew. I unhooked the pipes from the dozer's sideboom as the pipes were laid along the ditch line.

~Ron

Tom

I'm still not automated and use an Off-loader/off-bearer/tailer/swamper/helper

These guys can make or break you.  If you have one who can work smart and steady he is worth his weight in gold (so-to-speak) and will boost production considerably.  The one you see on my picture site who is running around in his new fishing boat is one of the best I ever had.  He never let me catch up with him whereas some I run over.  The blade was in the wood all the time and I felt we were a team.  I tried to keep his piece work salary close to what I thought mine was after paying the equipment and expences.

I liked that song.  Wish I could hear it all.

It reminded me of 'possum Lodge on the Red Green show.  "eh?"

Jeff

Tom

Yep,  I wouldn't miss a show for anything.  They are hard to find though.  PBS just shows them when they feel like it and I never can figure out when that is.  The station in Gainsville is the one that plays it the most. Ha.....he's a trip.  one of my favorites was when he made a Backhoe out of his car.

Jeff

Tom, that was not the whole song? I thought I uploaded it all...
Did it at least have the swamppers part in it?

I got that using bearshare off the internet. It is almost just like Nabster used to be. Hey, have you ever heard the song 30 point buck by a group called Bananas at large?