iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to figure #cords in standing timber?

Started by bkellyvtme, November 01, 2006, 04:06:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bkellyvtme

How is this done? Is there a equation or what is measured? Any help on this will be helpfull. Thanks

Ron Wenrich

Apparently we no longer have our pulpwood calculator in the forum toolbox.  Here's the link to it over at the sister site - www.Timberbuyers.net

http://www.timberbuyer.net/pulp.htm

You cruise timber for pulpwood the same as you do for sawtimber.  You measure dbh (diameter at breast height - 4 1/2' above the stump) and the height.  For sawtimber, you normally use 8' logs.  For pulpwood, you can use 4', 5' or 8' bolts. 

After you have those 2 measurements, the calculator can give results in cord, cubic feet, tons or metric tons.  It will only give for 1 tree at a time, and you will have to add them up. 

If you are doing a whole stand of timber, you should put everything into a spreadsheet, then plug in the numbers.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

WDH

I am sure that the state forestry department of the state of Vermont has tables that you can use to determine cord volume.  They usually require a measure of DBH (diameter breast high) and merchantable height (the height to the point that the tree will be topped).  You might be able to find these tables on-line for the various species
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

james

just for a rough estimate figure scribner value there about the same
james

Phorester

If you will give me your mailing address (through my profile if you want, for privacy), I will mail you a pocket sized table that gives you a table for calculating cords in standing trees.  You still have to take the measurments as Ron and WDH describe, but you then plug these figures into the table. I carry one of these in my shirt pocket every day.  Part of my standard pocket stash.

SwampDonkey

For standing timber: Maybe your state has 'standardized' volume tables, and for total merchantable volume, all you'll have to do is measure diameter at 4.5 feet and multiply it by the state average volume of a tree that size class (2-inch classes) and species. There are several tables for different site classes. To choose the right one, you can measure a few intermediate, dom and codom trees in the stand (s) within in your tree sample points and pick the right table.

Height curves for spruce/fir/pine
    |                             * 4        H
    |                *     +++ 3           E  (ft)
    |          *     +    @@ 2            I
    |     *   +  @                          G
    |  *+@                                  H
    |*+@                                    T
    |+____________________
     10   12   14   18   20   22
      diameter breast height (inches)

Standard Volume Tables (total merchantable volume - ft3)

dbh (inches)
curve #          4        6      8     10     12
    2             0.74   3.25  5.72  11.02  15.64
    3                *    4.23    *      *      *
    4             1.27     *      *      *     22.11
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

bkellyvtme

Phorester. Got it. Man that is a great tool. Thanks. 8)

Phorester

You're welcome.  WOW!  Two days from VA to VT.

SwampDonkey

A quick and dirty rule of thumb here is basal area (m2/ha) 'approximates' cords/acre using a 2 m2/ha cruising prism. Now where you find that isn't reliable is in cedar stands, mature white pine and polewood just becoming merchantable and probably mature hemlock. It's fairly reliable in mature hardwood stands and mixed fir/aspen/red maple stands. For example 24 m2/ha can range from 22-26 cords/acre in stands mentioned.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!