iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Security

Started by Engineer, November 01, 2006, 10:59:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer

Lately there's been some burglaries in my town, some in areas that are near the new house I'm finishing up.   All are in unoccupied homes, even if the home is regularly occupied, the burglaries happen during the daytime or while the owners are gone.  Nothing's been solved.

Now, my house is hard to see from the road, and it's got a locked chain across the driveway and locked doors.  But people can break into anything given enough time and incentive, and I have a LOT of tools and supplies in that house that would really get me upset if they were stolen.  Not that I don't have insurance - I do, but the time and energy to replace stuff is not what I need right now.  I am looking for ideas on security for the place, at least for the next couple months until we move in.  I have electricity there and my outdoor boiler has a single bulb in the front lighting it up, but I don't have any other lights or locks.  Also don't have phone hooked up so an internet connection with wireless camera is out of the question.  I was thinking of setting up a video camera with a motion sensor but I don't know anything about this stuff.    I'm sure that there are some of you out in the boondocks that have to deal with occasional security issues - what do you do?

beenthere

I don't have any answers that are absolutes, but I'd at least go with motion detectors and a drive-way alarm. Having lights go on when someone approaches is, to me, much better than these 'all-night' lights that stay lit for any intruder to find their way around easily.

I've a driveway alarm that triggers the doorbell when we are home which I find very helpful so as not to have surprises standing at the door surprising me.  ;D

I fixed it so this alarm will trigger a circuit to have a light in the house come on when the alarm is tripped. This could also be used to start a video camera, but I haven't rigged that up.

We hear of sporadic break-ins in our Township, and I also have the fear (heavy concern) that it will happen to us. So far, have been ok after 38 years.

Wish you the best of luck in that regard as well. Keep lots of photos of your possessions.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Radar67

Have you thought about one of those digital or film trail cameras that monitor game trails? They can be set for sensitivity and the height at which they pick up movement. It might not save your tools from theft, but you could get pictures of the crook. Then again, the flash alone may scare him off.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Larry

I cobbled up something while back for a shed in a remote location.  Just used a motion detector light on the inside with one bulb.  Were the second bulb should have been, I wired up a klaxon horn I had laying around...it's original use was for a telephone in a factory.  Told the neighbors if they heard it go off, call the sheriff.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Jeff

Thats what I was going to suggest Larry but instead of the horn, have it connected to a power strip inside that turns on mutiple devices.  Those motion lights are pretty cheap.  Have more then one hooked up so things go on at different stages. One in the driveway perhaps hidden that turns a light on further down the drive.  Mybe even one to a tape player that says you better leave or your goona get a butt full of buck shot. THEN incorporate the trail cam in the lit area to record who they are without having the flash go off showing where the camera is
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

The best is to have someone home.  So don't tell anyone that you left.  Make friends with neigbors and check on each others place.  Make a note of cars on the road that don't belong.   Carry a camera and take pictures of people who are driving down driveways looking for "Mike".

I spent a lot of money on a video system that didn't work.  The old style cameras would get the image burned into them.  My last burglary was about 13 grand worth of tools, guns and jewelry.

Sam's Wholesale and probably the other clubs too, has inexpensive security/video systems.  Just be sure that you put it where it won't be stolen too.

The alarm doesn't have to be at the house.  Sometimes a flashing light on the driveway will be enough to turn them around.  They know they aren't supposed to be there.  Signs can help too.  Your chain on the driveway is probably as good a deterrant as anything.  These guys are looking for an easy entrance.

I'd go with the video.  It helps to know what they look like.  The police don't always care, but that doesn't mean that you can't look for them too.

Jeff

Tom I think the chain acrossed the driveway is screaming that nobody is home.  In this nic of the woods having the chain down or gate open means someone is there. People just don't lock a chain behind them when they are there. They may close a gate, but they dont put a chain back up to have to unlock again to get out.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

Yeah, but it makes it difficult to drive a car through.

beenthere

Put the chain across the drive, but leave it lay on the ground...... :)

Trail cams can now be purchased that do not flash, using IR to get a night pic. Don't know if they emit zero light however, when the go off.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tcsmpsi

Shoot one and hang him on the fence post.   ;D  I am, by the way, very, very much JUST KIDDING.

I have gates, but do not close them.  They are there so that folks will think that if I'm gone, gates will be closed.  There is also always a vehicle there that can be seen from the road.  Lights are good, but, if you live out of sight from 'neighbors', knotheads won't worry much about being seen. 

The best, is if you can have a housesitter while you are away, even if it is just for intermittent times of day.  I have 3 or 4 different fellows who are always glad to mingle about the place when I'm gone, and vice versa.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

VA-Sawyer

The VERY BEST security would come from having an article in the paper telling about how you had recently shot and killed a thief on your property. The clincher would be the part about the Mayor giving you a pat on the back for ridding the township of vermin, and a picture of the Chief of Police giving you back your gun.
Now that would be effective security!
VA-Sawyer

Mr Mom

I agree with tcsmpsi 100% and i am not kidding. Too many friends and family lost things because some low life doesnt want to get a job.
     I think that if the punishment were a little harsher and they didnt plea bargen the stealing might slow down.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

CHARLIE

Crooks look for easy and fast access. The tougher you make it, the bigger the chance they'll go somewhere else that's easier.

Outside:  1. I'd use the chain gate to keep them from getting their car in.
               2. Get an old car and park it by the house.
               3. Install outdoor flood lights with motion sensors. Light the place up!

Inside: 1. A hidden video camera that is activated when the door opens.
           2. lights that will come on and turn off at different locations in the house.
           3. A loud alarm that will go off when someone is in the house. It would
               be neat if it sounded only after their picture were taken on video.
           4. Maybe a sillouette made of cardboard of a man sitting in a chair reading.

You may not be able to completely stop someone from stealing from you but you can make it harder for them to do it. And most of all......get a picture of them. The police would love that.   
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Ron Wenrich

I've found the best method is to have a neighbor that has better junk than you do.  That way they'll be over there robbing them and leaving your stuff alone.

I do kinda like the motion detector to a tape player.  What would be the thoughts of someone if they heard something like a dog growling or barking, or the sound of a shotgun being loaded, or unloaded? 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

beenthere

Heck, just wire it so that 50 cal 'Iowa silo killer' goes off (in the air) when the motion detector gets excited....... :) ;D
south central Wisconsin

Furby

Don't anyone watch "It Takes a Thief" ???
Couple shows of that and you'll have a better idea what to do......... sorta. :-\

Biggest thing if you are going to use a video system is to have the DVR inside a steel lock box, locked of course, and bolted to the wall or floor.
Other wise the thief may just walk off with any recording device and you don't get any pics!

Ianab

Yup..

I was doing some computer work for a local customer the other day, network wiring problems, and we got to talking about their alarm wiring. They said they had an alarm, but someone broke in and stole it  :o ::) Nothing else was taken, just the alarm.

Now they just have the sign and the old sensors, and pay a security guard to come past at random times on his rounds of town.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

J_T

Wire motion sencor to small electric motor that turns up spikes in a trench on the driveway .Leave lock hanging on gate chain with a big do not enter sine in drive that must be moved  :D :D Call the local towing Co tell them to call you first if they should get a call near that address ???
Jim Holloway

jon12345

My mom has a ferocious YELLOW LAB he does a great job, keeps the oil delivery guy from puttin oil in the tank, tries to attack state police checkin on  a fire that was a little 'too big'(like that is possible), and even growls at me sometimes when I stop over after a certain hour  :o

Or you could get a trail cam and point it at your driveway, then you need another one to watch that one, and one to watch the one that is watchin your driveway, one that is watchin the one that watches the one watchin your driveway.  So for about 500$ you can get a nice system of digital trail cams set up watchin each other and your driveway  :D :D
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

Kcwoodbutcher

I've got a great security system named Millie. She's about a 135 pound great dane . She's got a vicious bark and a mangy coat, basically she just looks mean. She more than likely will lick you instead of bite you. She keeps the delivery guys in their trucks. The thing is, it makes my house a less inviting target. Another thing is my drive is one way access, if you are in my drive and I pull in after you, you are not going anywhere unless I let you.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

Raphael

The gate on our driveway is set far enough from the road that you have to drive in to find out if it's locked so it doesn't advertise that nobody is home.

One thing that's cheap and effective is get a sign for a monitored security system and post it out by the road.  Many thieves won't bother going down the driveway to check the house once they see the sign, especially if the security company on the sign is known to include cameras in their system.

That pretty much eliminates the smarter thieves and the dumb ones are easier to catch.  :D
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Don P

The local police just accepted the surrender of a kid that has eluded them since last October. He is facing 101 charges, mostly B&E's of weekenders homes all around here. He lived off the land and mostly stole food and clothing, it was escalating though. He broke into most of the neighboring houses. The kid dashed by one neighbor who caught him in a weekend cabin, feet propped up watching tv. We had chopper and dogs for the best part of the night. We have 4 dogs between our closest neighbor and us, we were left alone. I kept the home defender handy but sure didn't want to use it. The locals say our cops couldn't catch a cold. The cops claim he got tired of them breathing down his neck. Panting in the distance was more like it  ::). Construction thefts have been on the rise here too, they just cleaned out a friends job trailer  >:(. As far as I'm concerned all fill should be firmly compacted before a pour.

Thank You Sponsors!