iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Halloween

Started by Tom, October 31, 2006, 08:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Gael loves the holidays.  She has never let it bother her that we live in the middle of nowhere and a half mile off of a main road through a pine plantation.  She decorates anyway. 

The driveway for  Halloween has Tree Faces stuck to the bigger trees, Shine-in-the-dark ghosts and skeletons  hanging from most every tree.

The front yard has pumpkins, jack-o-lanterns, hay bales, motion sensing witches and bats that will swoop down upon you, lightning, sound effects of creaking doors and maniacal laughter.

The inside of the house is full of model Halloween towns with sound effects, Halloween stuff on all of the walls and lots and lots of candy.

The neighborhood watch decided to bring their kids down the drive tonight.  I think the adults enjoyed it as much as the kids.  There was screaming, loud talking and running in circles as they looked at all the decorations and the older kids took advantage of scaring the younger kids and the boys scared the girls.

We've lived here for 22 years and this is the first time we have had tricker-treaters.  It was a lot of fun.  :)

Jeff

Yeehaw!  An excuse for more left over candy. 8)   We got plenty left. Our typical 300 trick or treaters dropped to about 200 this year and Tammy has good candy.

Several years ago Tammy decided to do something different for Halloween treats.  She saw these big metal decorative tins in walmart filled with little packets of Carmel corn. I think she bought about 4 tins to have enough.  Halloween rolled around and we did our typical passing out of the candy until the designated time came to turn out the lights. There were a few packets of Carmel corn left so Tammy and I sat on the couch to watch T.V. and treat our selves to a snack.  We both took a mouth full at the same time, and at the same time turned and looked at each other with the same expression. We both ran to spit the nasty stuff out.  It was the foulest stalest tasting stuff I ever tasted. There was no dates on the tins but it must have been old old old!  We sat there embarrassed we would hand something like that out but were glad that most of these trick or treaters come from who knows where and we know very few of them.   

The next year Tammy bought the snack size candy bars. Its more expensive but at least it was a good treat. Halloween rolled around and we got our first trick or treater, about a 12 year old boy. Tammy opened the door and as she was about to drop his treat in the bag he recoiled and said, "That ain't Carmel corn is it?" :-\ :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

isawlogs

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D 

I about fell off my chair .
I have been here for near tweety four years .. the only candy i ever gave away was to my two kids .... We always decorated . Good thing about it was that this kid has lots of candy to eat . ;D 
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Kcwoodbutcher

I'd take what was left back to Wal Mart and offer some to the manager who in turn could have force fed it to the buyer who got such a great "deal".
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

SwampDonkey

Haven't been anyone here trick or treat'n for 10 years. When I was a kid, everyone was out on halloween. With all the media talk about bad characters it's driven everyone to town halls and schools for halloween. I never heard of anyone getting harmed at halloween locally. As I said the media influences alot of people, even if they report rumours of harmful incidence.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Patty

We don't get trick or treaters way out here. Too bad too, I love seeing all the little kids in their costumes and handing out candy bars.    We live way down at the end of a very dark dead end road which is scarey enough, add the cemetary along the way, and there is not a kid around who is brave enough to risk all that for a piece of candy.  :D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

pigman

We don't get trick or treaters out here in the sticks. The wife  witch goes to her mother's place in down to give out candy or so she says. I think she goes there expecting to see other witches. ;)
Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Burlkraft

Wow ....Bob  I ain't touchin' that one.... :D   :D  :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

pigman

What can I say Burlkraft, this is the way she looks. ;D    She even wore the outfit to the 2005 pigroast.

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

tcsmpsi

We don't get trick or treaters where we're at either, unless we import them.   ;D

Got a call this morning...many years ago, back when I lived in a subdivision, on the board of the POA and all that, we started a community hayride for Halloween, utilizing a couple tractors pulling trailers.  Had special stuff at the community pavillion, all sorts of spook things on some of the backroads in the subdivision and certain members of the community that the hayride would stop at.

The subdivision has changed quite a bit (not for the better) since I left.  Seems they sort of kept the hayride tradition, but different caliber of folks (drinking and the like).

Seven yr old boy fell from the trailer and was run over.  As of about 9 this morning he was still alive, but the prognosis is not good.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Tom

That's sad.

The end result will be a devastated family, a child who may no longer be with us, and future families and children who, for fear of litigation, will be deprived of a wonderful community relationship.

These accidents are so far reaching.  Alcohol and drugs have no place at innocent entertainment such as neighborhood get-to-gethers where impressionable, small children are present.  What a shame that the adults lose sight of the original goal, which usually is for the children, and hijack the show.

I pray for the health of the little boy.

Jeff

Yes, Halloween is really changing. Its seemd that the adults are taking it over as thier own.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

tcsmpsi

He is the great grandson of an old friend, who still lives out there, and who is taking a pretty good punch of, 'I should have known better'. 

I delivered my oldest daughter in that subdivision and it was a sure enough community welcoming to a new little human.  She was weighed on meat scales at the small store at the entrance. 
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

thecfarm

I use to get at least 100 of them little guys at my house in Jay.I had to move here in Chesterville to get away from them.Couldn't afford the candy anymore.  :D  I really miss it.Them little would would be coaxed by the parents to say trick or treat,than thank-you.We didn't get anyone.Our house is lite up with orange lights and 4 blow ups on the lawn.We live on a dead end dirt road.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Mooseherder

We didn't get any Tricker Treaters this year. :-[

jon12345

My son went as a little sherriff, we only took him to his grandparents, and one uncle's house.  I'm glad we avoided the villages and the crowds of un-costumed teenagers covered in shaving cream. Do any kids even know what Halloween is anymore, besides costumes, candy, and vandalism?
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

Corley5

We took Zach to Gaylord again this year.  The businesses on mainstreet give good treats.  He went as Freddy from Scooby Doo dressed as a vampire ;D  It was his idea too 8)  Unfortunately it was bitter cold and it looked like he was a Carhartt Vampire ;) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!