The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: How realistic is sawing 60,000 bf per year using customer resources?  (Read 4663 times)

Offline fencerowphil (Phil L.)

• Senior Member x2
  • LIKE CUTTIN' LONG! 30FT!
Re: How realistic is sawing 60,000 bf per year using customer resources?
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2006, 08:08:55 pm »
Welcome to the Learning Place, freesouled!

I will echo some of the other comments.   The ASM will demand that you always have help, or the machine won't pay off.   The ASM would also require bigger log supplies, namely, bigger jobs to pay off.  Even on my Mississippi trips with two 10"WPFs, I found that the optimum size job was at least 40 big logs.  On the other hand the WPF can pay with help or not.  You just adjust your routine to work either way.  (Peterson's videos show this clearly.)

As far as whether to go 8" or 10",  you certainly don't want to go 10", unless you really, I mean really want that 10" capacity (or the 20" double cut capacity).   I did want it, so I bought it.  I probably would do the same again.  In general, I was looking to cut oversized trees into oversized "stuff." 

You goal is more aligned to cutting for the general public and that will make a difference.  From what I am hearing you say,  8"WPF 27h.P. seems like your dream boat to me!   If you get in on one of these used, then do good work...
NO PROBLEMA [/color] ![/b] [/size]
Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Offline getoverit

• Senior Member x2
  • freeing trees from silence
Re: How realistic is sawing 60,000 bf per year using customer resources?
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2006, 10:26:11 pm »
I can easily cut 1000bf of dimensional lumber a day with my Peterson ATS. It is a lot of work moving the logs into position, but it can be done with a skid steer and some log bunks made for the job.

The bigger the logs, the higher the production... simple as that.... the less log handling and more the blade can stay in the wood, the higher the production. 60k boardfeet of lumber translates to 60 days of sawing (or less)  if you can get the logs to saw and the customers who have logs.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day