The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: So I have this dillemma  (Read 10821 times)

Offline footer

• I need to edit my profile!
Re: So I have this dillemma
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2006, 12:45:01 pm »
These are some good reasons to charge by the HR for custom sawing. You also don't have to take the time and measure all the wood you cut. If it were me, I would charge for every board cut, unless I screwed it up. It is your equipment, and there logs. It costs just as much to saw junk logs as good ones.

Offline DR_Buck

• Senior Member x2
  • Nuff said.....
    • Got Logs?
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2006, 10:31:19 pm »
My quick reply would be, "Then that's the place to take them." and the converstion would end right there.

We've done some stacking and sticking for a few customers and charged $350/mbf.

I agree with Bibby and many of the others who have commented.   To me this is a "no thank you, I'm not interested" job.    Everything I cut is 30 bf  or $60 per hour.  And, I don't stack and sticker.  That's the log owners job to take care of.  My job is to run the mill.  My mill don't even roll out the drive for less than $250.    In the almost 3 years I've been milling, I've learned to walk away from small logs, logs not stacked where I can get them on the mill easy, and customers that sound like there may be issues.   I don't need the problems and thats what those jobs are.
Hidden Acres Farm
I got a shotgun, a shovel backhoe and 57 acres!

Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25

Offline VA-Sawyer

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2006, 10:50:55 am »
Sometimes, it goes the other way. The customer is nice and the log fools both the customer and the sawyer. I had a fellow call me from West Point ( about 15 miles away ). He had a Black Walnut log he was going to bring over for me to saw. He arrived with the log on a trailer, so I took a moment to look it over before moving it over to the mill. Good looking log, about 100 bf, fairly straight with no big knots or signs of rot. We put it on the mill and 2 cuts later, the story is very different. The whole inside of the log is mud. It starts about a foot from one end and runs till about a foot from the other end. I'm not talking a little 'punky' here, the stuff was falling out of the log as I was sawing. I told him we could stop right there and I wouldn't charge him anything for my time. He said to keep sawing, as he had put in too much effort to quit now. He got maybe 5 bf of usable wood, and paid me full price for sawing the log, about 25 or 30 dollars as I recall. I did feel a bit guilty about charging so much and him only getting junk wood, but I had offered him an out.
Well, that was over a year ago, and was the first time I met the guy. He has brought me a few jobs since then, and sent some other folks my way as well. He is a pleasent fellow to be around and always insists that he pays full price. I think about that Walnut log every time he pays me.
He called the other day and wanted to know if I could fit him in and saw some Cedar for him. As we were cutting out his boards, I asked him what he was going to build with that nice wood. He asked "if I really wanted to know". I said "yes, I did". Turns out he is using it to build the coffin for a 'lifelong' friend.  I told him any wood I saw for a coffin gets a 'third off ' discount because of its special purpose use. This time he took the discount. I'm glad he did.
VA-Sawyer

Offline rebocardo

• Senior Member x2
  • Atlanta GA
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2006, 11:43:36 am »
Wow, great story.

Offline 4woody

• Full Member x2
  • just a good old boy
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2006, 06:56:05 pm »
YEAP VERRY TOUCHING  STORY

Offline Tom

• In Memoriam
    • Toms Saw
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2006, 07:14:16 pm »
I'll bet your customer remembers your compassion as well.  Good story.
extinct