iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thinkin outside the box...what do you guys think?

Started by freesouled, October 31, 2006, 06:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freesouled

A new WPF peterson mill 8" 27hp costs about 17747.  Here is my idea

• 6" WPF 13hp engine...........13974
  • Electric raising winch...........1384
  • 2 8" blades.........................648
  • Tapered board attachment..151

Purchase a 27 Kohler in the US for 1800

Grand total of 17957 and I have a 27hp 8" WPF decked out with everything I want and a free 13 hp honda outa the deal.

Jeff

I was thinking that there is more then a difference in the mills then just the blade size.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

freesouled

I think you are right.  I just noticed that they do not offer the 27hp in the 6" version. 

freesouled

There is a $3248 difference in the 8" 13hp and the 27hp.  May still be worth the effort.  What do you guys think?

LOGDOG

Not to mention that you can't put an 8" blade on a 6" mill. The intersect would be off and well, there might be sparks!!!! :o

LOGDOG

freesouled

Hmmm....Trevor Cook said it could be upgraded but didn't say what was involved.  I think Jeff B was right, it is a totaly different frame.  Just guessing though.

Time to go tricker treatin... 8)

Captain

Centrifical clutch (try to find one of those off the shelf..not easy), custom welded aluminum undermount fuel tank, electrical provisions: starting, charging (the 13hp Honda is a pull start) and don't forget the safety emergency stop and its integrated tie in with the engine oil monitor, correct drive sheave for input of gearbox, knowing the correct Kohler engine spec and muffler, customer support for the correct application....NOT TO MENTION that your assumption that you can just bolt on an 8" blade to a 6" gearbox and it will work (you need to rethink that geometry).....You need a different gearbox with a different gear ratio too (6" blades spin at different speeds than 8" blades)  An easy total of over $4000 with the motor.

There are many, many reasons for the price difference.  More than there may seem to be on the surface.  Can you do it and make it work??  Probably.  But it won't have the same performance and safety characteristics as one from the factory built that way.

By the way...bolting an 8" blade on a 6" mill still only gives you 6" boards.  You just cut an additional 2" beyond the intersect point needlessly in both directions.  Took me a bit to get my arms around that one as well, you've really got to see one operate to figure that one out on your own.

I love those who think outside the box, I do it myself all the time  ;D  

That's why I own and operate a swingmill.

Captain

LOGDOG

Well said Cap'n. Much more than meets the eye at first glance. There are some things that a brochure just can't convey and that's why the in person demo is so important.

LOGDOG

freesouled

I knew it must swing in such a way to align horizontal and vertical cut.  Different size blade would deffinantly mess that up...Oh well, just flexing my brain muscles to save a penny :D

Captain

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Part_Timer

If you don't mind I'd like to head off the next thought your going to have.  Get the 27hp not the 25 hp.

I've been lucky enough to train a couple of other new swingmill owners that had 27hp's on their ATS's and there is a very big differance.  

If I had it to do again I'd a gone big.

just my.02 hope you don't mind

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Captain

LOGDOG

When did they work the bugs out of the 30 h.p.? Last I heard it was tearing up gearboxes. I see Lucas has one now too. I'm getting ready to swap mine out for a 30 h.p. electric. Hope it works out.

LOGDOG

getoverit

I bought the 10" ATS model with a 13hp Honda. Wish I had gone ahead and bought the 27hp engine as well... there is more to it than just bolting on a bigger engine. While Iam able to cut anything that is put in front of me, I would be able to do it a LOT faster and more efficiently with a larger engine. I dont know how far south in Mississippi you are, but if you want to take a trip over to NE Florida I'd be happy to demo my mill for you. Heck, with all I have going on, I'd even let you run the mill and tail boards too if you wanted ;)

The one thing you ARE thinking right on is buying the WPF model.  It's middle name is "Production" for a reason !
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Part_Timer

I hear that the 27's are harder on the gas than my 25 is so I figure that the 30 ought to suck the gas like my kids do a chocolate shake. ;) :) :)

But sure I'd love to try one.  Maybe this spring I'll have to make a trip out and take that swingmill 101 class.

edited cause I can't spell.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Oldsawdust

Take a look at the D&L 10" Swing Blade it has a 30 horse power.
I like the one I have or email me.
Help-I'am new at this

woodbowl

Quote from: LOGDOG on October 31, 2006, 09:42:03 PM
When did they work the bugs out of the 30 h.p.? Last I heard it was tearing up gearboxes.

Ecosaw had a 35 HP Briggs on their mill last year at Moultrie, but have now settled back to less HP. I'm wondering if it is more HP than a person could push for the return in production, or if there are stress problems in the gearbox.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

rebocardo

> BUY USED. Still get great support

Good support of used customers drives sales of new customers, especially in niche markets. So many OEMs forget that. Espeically when the used or new customer decides to upgrade.

A point not lost on some car OEMs.

Thank You Sponsors!