iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How long of a beam?

Started by Minnesota_boy, October 27, 2006, 08:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minnesota_boy

How long of a beam can you saw on a Woodmizer Lt-40 without adding an extension?  The job I'm on now is all about oak beams and the owner has seen me saw out several 25 foot 8x8's.  Now he wants 2 beams made that are 28 feet long.  It's too far from home and too crowded of an area to put my extension on for those 2, but I'm beginning to wonder if I should just tell him no, it can't be done.  Has anyone tried to saw that long of a beam on a 21 foot deck?
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

dovetails

Hi, new member here, but have been lurking a while.  I've cut 20 footers on my 16 ft wm LT 30.  It's a pain, but easy enough to do.  clamp log, make first cut till ya run out of length,stop saw, back up a bit, use chain saw to cut slab off. Back saw head up, unclamp and slide log towards head, reclamp and finnish the cut.Yup have to do it 4 times to get a beam, but it can be done...
1984 wm lt30,ford 3000 w/frt lift,several chain saws, 1953 model 30 Vermeer stump grinder,full wood working shop, log home in the woods what more ya need?

customsawyer

I have done 26' on a LT40 but I do it a little different than dovetails. I start out with the small end of the log sticking out over the hyd. controls far enough so that the blade can exit out the other end of the log then I lower my blade and start may cut turn 90 degrees and do it again turn another 90 degrees and now you have a flat side to roll your log on. Once the flat side is on the bottom then it will roll back far enough so that you can get your blade into the front of the log. You can then cut part way in and cut off slab as dovetails said or you can just raise both rollers clamp log cut in part way unclamp log leave blade turning and go to far end and push log till you can exit the big end, go back to controls clamp log and finish cut. Doing it this way takes alittle bit of care to make sure both rollers are raising the same hieght on last two cuts. If the beam size will allow for it I raise them both all the way.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Minnesota_boy

That is sort of how I've been doing the 25 footers, except that I saw all 4 sides before sliding the log.  I've noticed that the log bends down a bit with the end sticking way out there beyond the last support so i use my Hi-lift jack to help support the end.  The main thing I'm worried about is the balance of the log.  When I raise the roller toeboards to move the log (cant) endways, at 25 feet long, the cant just about balances on the one roller.  When I add 3 feet more sticking out there, that end will be the heavy end and will want to tip the cant down.

Percy

Quote from: Minnesota_boy on October 27, 2006, 08:42:35 PM
How long of a beam can you saw on a Woodmizer Lt-40 without adding an extension?  The job I'm on now is all about oak beams and the owner has seen me saw out several 25 foot 8x8's.  Now he wants 2 beams made that are 28 feet long.  It's too far from home and too crowded of an area to put my extension on for those 2, but I'm beginning to wonder if I should just tell him no, it can't be done.  Has anyone tried to saw that long of a beam on a 21 foot deck?
Heya Ron,

You a busy guy. Thats good.

Just a different perspective on this job.
If it were me I wouldnt refuse it but basicly quote the job so high that if you do get it, youl be makin great coin for all of your troubles(HOOKIN ON THE EXTENSION)Explain why its costing so much. If you dont get it, youll still be this guys freind.  ;D ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

VA-Sawyer

Could you put a 'heavy duty' roller stand off the end of the mill to help support the overhanging part of the log ?  Maybe even put 2 of them off the end of the mill, one right at the end and the other about 6' out. Raise the toeboard rollers about an inch up from the deck and make all 4 rollers the same heigth. That should solve the tipping problems and make it fairly easy to slide the log.
VA-Sawyer

Minnesota_boy

I happen to have heavy duty roller stands and they are already onsite, so that is probably what I'll do.  I suppose you all will want pictures if I pull this one off.  ;D

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Bibbyman

Buried in the Forestry Forum's Knowledge Base is documentation with pictures of sawing beams over bed length on our Wood-Mizer LT40.

Here is a link... Sawing logs longer than mill.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

deadeye

I've sawn 32 foot  8x8 on my woodmizer with no ext.  its tricky but can be done.  i used a heavy jackstand on the one end . i cut down 20 feet then cut the slab off . then turned the log 1/4 turn and sawed off another slab. when the four faces were done i slid it back to the last table and cut of another slab. turned that cut down and slid it up so i could cut all the way through you have to put the jackstand at the other end then.  lots of work but can be done .

VA-Sawyer

Quote from: Minnesota_boy on October 28, 2006, 06:34:54 PM
I suppose you all will want pictures if I pull this one off. ;D
One of the very few times I will accuse somebody of asking a STUPID question !  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!