The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: New member  (Read 5562 times)

Offline metalspinner

• Senior Member x2
Re: New member
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2006, 12:59:11 pm »
Rail-o-matic,
That is beautiful work.  I could spend a week in your shop asking questions and picking your brain and leave wanting more. :D :D

It's great to have another musician around.  I split time between the shop, trumpet practice and performance, and dragging logs and lumber around town.

Welcome aboard.  I look forward to seeing more pics! :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • Proverbs 13:20
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2006, 01:10:22 pm »
Ya know we could for quite an orchestra with Forestry Forum members. :) metalspinner, it looks like Davy puts on a workshop according to his website. How cool would it be to go to the U.K. and make your own tools then make your own pipes? 8)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Bottle Washer.

Offline metalspinner

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2006, 01:12:36 pm »
I've been thinking about a trip that way someday.  If I visit with some of my distributers I can write it off. 8)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Offline Rail-O-Matic

• I love to be millin
    • chainsawmills.co.uk, bagpipeworks.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2006, 04:02:31 pm »
I have put quite a few years into the musical instruments and the milling, they have helped each other along nicely, I was very lucky because I did get professional help or an appretiship through another top piper and maker called Peter Hunter,and plan to pass on that knowledge to as many folks as I can, infact.

I have a youg guy from Seatle, who is seriously interested in coming over to stay with us for a year when he finished colledge, he wants the full apprentiship from me, and then wants to set up back home making pipes.

I got news this evening that my milling jobs for next week have been halved, by a guy with a Woodmiser, the other half he cannot reach so I will keep them, these are the best bits of nice straight douglas, right next to the river where the miser cannot acsess, so it not all bad news.

I have been looking at buying a Ripsaw, when I phoned them they said they are working on a larger machine, made from aluminum, a two man outfit, which is nearly ready for release next summer, so I will wait and see what comes of it, I would have to import because they don't have a dealer in the UK, I suppose the American market is so strong they don't need to export.

I would love to buy a second hand Miser or similar, but there is not quite enough work for one around here, there are plenty of farmers who own pretty large woods, but they don't want to know as long as they are getting their farming subsidies, which are slowly starting to be cancelled by the government, only then will they start thinking of diversifying and the milling work will come to the fore.

I was reading a thread about a guy who has permits, to extract some of the old axe cut lumber from a fewrivers in the States, which now lies at the bottom of some of the deeper pools, does anyone know what this timber is like for quality and what is being made with it ? how much it costs etc.

I will have to come over the pond for a couple of months, bring my mill with me and do some proper milling on the big stuff, one of my dreams is to own a plot and build my log home, with my chainsaw gear. :)
Logg-saw bandmill, Stihl 088, Stihl MS880, Stihl MS660, Stihl 017, 018,  Husky 385XP, Husky 395, Husky 350, Echo WES 350ES, Echo CS 27T, Jonsered 2150 Turbo, Jonsered 111S, good old saw still going after more than 20 years hard service.

Offline BigTrev

• Full Member x2
  • If you think you can or you think you can't your right
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2006, 08:07:54 pm »
Gidday Rail-O-Matic, welcome to the boards mate  ;D

Those are some really nice instruments you make there !

Nothing quite like the sound of pipes heralding the dawn, makes me all misty just thinking about it :D You gota do a few recordings and post em up online for us to hear.

Oh and I'm one of the helper monkeys here at Petersons smiley_monkeyfight so if you start looking at the swinging side of mills feel free to hurl questions at me.
If at first you dont succeed, try a bigger hammer