iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Norse 190 winch?

Started by wolfden, October 26, 2006, 04:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfden

Hi Folks!  We're new to this site and wanted to know if anyone has or knows about the Norse model 190 logging winch.  We're thinking about buying one, as we have a small 4WD Kubota tractor, and the dealer recommended this particular model.  Has anyone had any experience or feedback about this model?  Any info would be greatly appreciated!  Polly and Jim at Wolfden. :P
Polly and Jim
at Wolfden

beenthere

Welcome to the forum. Pull up a stump and sit for a spell.
Also, search on Norse to see if the archives will cough up previous discussions of log winches. I believe there are several. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

wolfden

Thank you for the info and welcome!  We'll check the archives.
Quote from: beenthere on October 26, 2006, 05:01:23 PM
Welcome to the forum. Pull up a stump and sit for a spell.
Also, search on Norse to see if the archives will cough up previous discussions of log winches. I believe there are several. 

:)
Polly and Jim
at Wolfden

thecfarm

Welcome to the forum wolfden.I have the Norse 450 on a 40hp Ford.Never had to do any repairs to it and I have used it hard and alot.I'm very happy with it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

wolfden

Good morning and thank you for the warm welcome!  Thanks too, for the info on your winch.  We're going to Gorham NH soon to look the 190 over and see if it will meet our needs.  Thanks again and have a great day!  Polly and Jim at Wolfden. :)
Quote from: thecfarm on October 26, 2006, 09:39:02 PM
Welcome to the forum wolfden.I have the Norse 450 on a 40hp Ford.Never had to do any repairs to it and I have used it hard and alot.I'm very happy with it.
Polly and Jim
at Wolfden

wiam

Where in VT are you?  I am just south of St.Jay. I have a Tajfun winch.  It is one of my best purchases ever.  I have been very harsh on it and it has taken it well.  It is rated for about 40hp and I now have it on a 65hp. This tractor weighs almost 10,000lbs and the winch will drag it around.

Will

thecfarm

Are you buying the winch from Labonville?The winch will make it so much easier.We use to use chains.That cable is great and you can bring out more than one tree at a time.Don't forget to buy some chaps if you don't have any.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bitternut

I have the Norse 450 and I bought it from Labonville. Mine works real good and I would sure hate to be without it. Once you use one you will be spoiled. I bought 3 extra choker chains with mine. I suggest you do also. The only problem I had with mine was that I was skidding some fair sized beech logs out and the choker chains pulled through the slotted bar on top of the butt plate. Labonville told me to take it to a welder and get it fixed but I never did. Some day I will find the time to cut it out and weld on a replacement piece out of heavier material. I now skid using the cable.

wolfden

Hi Will!  Thanks for your message.  We live in Wheelock, so not very far at all!  Our tractor is only 17 HP, so we have to match a smaller winch to it.  We've never heard of your brand, but will check it out.  Thanks again!  Polly and Jim at Wolfden. 
Quote from: wiam on October 27, 2006, 07:59:08 PM
Where in VT are you?  I am just south of St.Jay. I have a Tajfun winch.  It is one of my best purchases ever.  I have been very harsh on it and it has taken it well.  It is rated for about 40hp and I now have it on a 65hp. This tractor weighs almost 10,000lbs and the winch will drag it around.

Will
Polly and Jim
at Wolfden

wolfden

Hi There!  Yes, we're buying from Labonville and thanks for the advice about the chaps!  Never thought of them, but can understand why you'd want 'em.  Polly and Jim at Wolfden.
Quote from: thecfarm on October 27, 2006, 08:53:37 PM
Are you buying the winch from Labonville?The winch will make it so much easier.We use to use chains.That cable is great and you can bring out more than one tree at a time.Don't forget to buy some chaps if you don't have any.
Polly and Jim
at Wolfden

wiam

The biggest reason I bought a Tajfun was the band brake.  I have used other winches with a dog type brake and had problems releasing the cable when there was a heavy load and the winch could not pull in any more.  The Tajfun does not have to pull in to release.  Here is where I bought mine.  OESCO INC  I have the EGV 40 A

Will

wolfden

Hi Will!  Thanks for the additional information.  I'll send for their catalog.  The price they quoted on their site is similar to labonville and the 190 Norse.  Thanks again and have a great day!  Polly and Jim at Wolfden.
Quote from: wiam on October 28, 2006, 10:22:02 PM
The biggest reason I bought a Tajfun was the band brake.  I have used other winches with a dog type brake and had problems releasing the cable when there was a heavy load and the winch could not pull in any more.  The Tajfun does not have to pull in to release.  Here is where I bought mine.  OESCO INC  I have the EGV 40 A

Will
Polly and Jim
at Wolfden

Thank You Sponsors!