iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A stumble through da woods.

Started by Jeff, October 25, 2006, 09:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

An Iron Fortified Forest.  Friend Ken Parr came down from the U.P. yesterday to go to an auction here is Harrison today. We took the opportunity yesterday to go together and visit a mutual friend we have that we see at the engine shows that lives about 45 minutes from me, Clarence.  Ken had never been to Clarence's 80 acres and still could not believe it even though I prepaired him. Clarence is a widower and lives along with a couple other old widowers in an old mobile home.  All they do is tinker and garden. Walking in thier woods is quite an experience because the whole 80 looks like the photos below. I only touched it with a couple of photos. Almost everything is "I am going to get that going when I get some time" when it is described to you.  The huge 4 sided planer however was offered up today for possible sale at scrap price. There are parts of (as near as he can remember) over 50 hit and miss engines and 8 total sawmills plusone that was running up until about 10 years abo when the tractor blew. The tractor still sets belted to that mill and the aspen log still in the dogs. I'll post that picture in another post. until then, enjoy the Iron woods. :)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SawDust_Studios

Looks like my Paps place  :-[

I have a friend that has an enormous 4 sided planer that was taken out of service and sits in his field waiting to be fixed "someday when I get time".

Nice pics
Making Sawdust on a Woodmizer LT40SHD CAT 51 /WM Twin Blade Edger and WM DH Kiln

Jeff

Heres a pic of that last old mill which is actually a hodge podge of a bunch of different parts to make a mill.

and a picture of old Clarence. He ran in and got his hat I gave him about 4 years ago when he saw us drive in.  It took me quite a while and the right light to recognize it as a forum hat. :D

brdmkr

I'll garanteeee those folks would be educational to hang out with for a day or so.  Thanks for sharing the pics.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Furby

Pretty cool!
Please don't tell me where that place is.

sawguy21

:D :D :D :D I get a kick out of that old Schramm compressor.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Jeff

Quote from: sawguy21 on October 25, 2006, 11:22:50 PM
:D :D :D :D I get a kick out of that old Schramm compressor.

You should see the pair of Buddas!

thecfarm

Why what a place.This would be one of the few times I walked through the woods and would not remember the trees.Love that old iron.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Captain

It is fun to explore that kind of stuff.  It is even more fun to explore it with the folks that put it there and hear the stories behind it.

Captain

Part_Timer

Looks like a fun way to spend an afternoon.

Thanks for sharing the pics.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Corley5

You're gonna have to take me on tour there Jeff :)  I see a couple sawmill knees that resemble the ones on my Corley.  What's the tractor on the mill ???
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jeff

Greg, I know he said, but I dont recall. If anyone can tell from a photo, I know you can. Yep, I think he said two of the mills were Corleys.

Hey! I got a line on a complete circle sawmill out in the woods near lake george.  I was told it is either an enterprise or an empire wood framed mill. its all there and ran about 10 years ago but the wood is bad. a widow has it and the fellow I talked to said he thought I could get it for about 300 bucks if I was interested.  I may have to at least go look at it. I just love those rusty walks in the woods. 8)

Fla._Deadheader

Looks like Mr. Hooties place, almost.  8)

Ain't that  a Case tractor ??  Gas tank looks similar to a Case I almost bought last century.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

ely

nice post jeff thanks for sahring

KENROD

Looks like a good place to explore.
Jeff I don't think ya wood want ta stumble in them woods.
Ya might end up with a new part in yar har. :o

beenthere

Tractor appears to be a Minneapolis Moline, to me. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Here is a photo I missed the first go around

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

johncinquo

Get a DNA sample, I think you found some kin of Furbys!
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

scgargoyle

That's what my place would look like if left to my own devices. ...which is why my wife knows better than to leave me to my own devices...
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

SwampDonkey

few old abandoned farms like that around here, although alot of them have been cleaned and cleared back to grow spuds. I can remember a couple acres on the back of the farm full of farming iron. Diggers, harvestor parts, plow parts, transmissions, truck frames etc. Just a typical farmers 'bone yard'. I can here dad say, 'Oh, I can't through that away. I might need it some day'. 'Oh, that transmission is still good. I've used it on the rock picker.' ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Don_Papenburg

Looks like a Minnie Moline  to me also.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Thank You Sponsors!