iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Let's BECAREFUL out there

Started by Corley5, October 25, 2006, 05:55:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

I had a mishap cutting timber today.  The first one in years.  There was an 1 1/2" DBH ironwood sapling pushed down in a sugar maple top that I didn't see.  When I cut the limb off the top that was holding it down it let me know it was there.  The maple limb propelled by the sapling came back at me under my face shield and struck me an upward blow right under my nose.  Didn't break it, didn't knock out any teeth but sure bled for a bit and it is SORE now maybe tender better describes it ::)  Actually it's not bad unless it gets bumped side to side :( ;).  It woulda been worse if I hadn't seen it coming and was on my way backwards to get away.  I'm super cautious and today it wasn't enough.  It happened on the second or third tree after lunch so fatigue wasn't the issue.  I just plain missed a hazard I should have seen although I'm not sure how.  The ironwood must have been almost under the top.  Kept on cutting after I got the bleeding stopped.  Pretty good day otherwise.  Little to now wind and temps in the low 40s.  Put a bunch of trees on the ground 8) 8)  BECAREFUL!!!!!!
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

oakiemac

I'll second that.

Glad you were not hurt worse.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

sawguy21

Glad you are o.k. (except for the schnoz).  ;D You are right, it could have been a lot worse.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Jeff

Greg be careful!  Yer like me, you cant afford any more of them ugly stick beatins. ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ed_K

I'm glad you didn't get hurt worse, also a note to others, go slow when your walking around in the tops. They like to twist you around. And it hurts when you fall down. If you take more than one step, put the chain break on.
Ed K

leweee

Greg ....glad to hear you are OK.
Years ago now ....after too many close calls, after I brushout around the tree to be felled & establish my escape path....I will examine the area were the top will land....any potential "Spring poles" I will cut before I fell the tree. After way to many close calls the little extra time to cut them first is cheap insurance. :)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

theonlybull

i gotta go with leweee.   if there's spring pole around, i'll pre cut them, but i fell the tree.  kills a few lil' ones,  but saves me  8)
Keith Berry & Son Ltd.
machine work and welding

Woodhog

Lucky it didnt catch you in the eye.....

I find after years of grinding away sometimes you are just plain lucky or not lucky, almost every day there is a close call of some sort...

All you can do is be as safe as possible and hope it works out good for you...

timberjack240

i was trimmin one day and sawed the top off and the tree rooled and a BIG limb came up and hit mit me in the back of the head and pushed my hard hat down over my eyes ..didnt hurt me , just made me mad. sometimes it seems like you almost need little things liek that to keep you on yur toes and make sure your still awake even if you were payin attention.. at least that seems how it is for me anyway . gettin hit in the nose would definatley do it for me   :-\ glad to hear yur ok that coulda really hurt if it wooda hit ya different
be safe and happy cuttin
timberjack 240

getoverit

Be careful Greg!

You dont wanna leave that piece of heaven you live on too early. Glad youre ok and doing good now.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Patty

Greg, I just read this and am glad your accident was not worse.  :o  Getting smacked in the nose hurts, it brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it.  I am sure glad Zach wasn't with you.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

rebocardo

It could have been worse, glad it was not. Which brings up the point of working by yourself. If something happens it is nice to have someone to at least check on you from time to time.

Max sawdust

Thanks for sharing your story.  Reminders are good for us all.
max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Thank You Sponsors!