iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

SHOOTOUT

Started by ARKANSAWYER, January 19, 2003, 08:14:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARKANSAWYER

No! not with the Wiggins again.  But the Sawmill Shootout.  It seems while reading a TFG article that in Japan they have a compitention to see who can shave the thinest shaving with a plane.  I think it would prove who could cut the most accurate lumber if they could make a shaving say 6" wide and 8' long as thin as possible.  I have made some as thin as a 1/16 but I think with a good adjustment and blade could do better.  Swingers would have to put up or shut up about accurate lumber. ???
   What do you guys and gals think about going thin for bragging rights?  It would be a real test as to how good one could slice.
ARKANSAWYER

ARKANSAWYER

woodmills1

I was cutting frozen hemlock yesterday and took off a thin slice after an icey/dirt chunk ruined a blade.  when I tossed it in with the scrap it shattered just like glass, and even made a tinkling sound
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Don P

I think I saw this on the Beverly Hillbillies with Jed and Jethro and pocketknives :D
My deli slicer is the crosscut off the 16" skil, those are propped up in a window. Ive always wanted to figure out how to make a stable lampshade.

Frank_Pender

There is probably no doubt that a band can cut pretty thin stock.  I have, just for the fun of it, cut less that 1/4" stock for just the purpose that Don P. mentioned, lampshade stock.  But the best thing I have available after cutting so thin is an 8' stroke sander to inhance the material after it is dried.  I have yet to make a shade :'(
Frank Pender

woodmills1

I cut quarter inch slices for a customer from PT 4x6 that he used to make laminated outdoor arched gazeebos.  he said he planed them befor gluing them up.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Jeff

Arky that is one of the dumbest ideas I have ever heard. I read this this morning and thought who the heck will do that? ???  ;)

I forgot my entry at work. Less then a 16th thick I believe, 6 inches wide and 10 feet long. Sawn on a 60 inch circle head rig. 8)

I'll bring it home tomorrow and photograph and prove my entry. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Fla._Deadheader

When I had my Corley circle saw, I had a slice one time that was so thin, my Dad folded it and mailed it to a friend in Maryland, to see if I had set the saw up correctly. It never broke at the fold. Can't remember what kind of wood???? Might have been Hackberry????  If you held it up to the sun, you had to shade your eyes. Sure wish I had a piece of that. Probably was 8-6X 6" wide. From a number 5 tie. This AIN'T no lie !!
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

dan-l-b

Sounds like fun Arky 8) I know I have cut some really thin stuff and tossed them.  Any uses besides lamp shades.  What will you be cutting.  Cedar, white oak, black oak, ash?

Bro. Noble

DanG it,

Had my entry all ready to send in.  While I was looking for an envelop to put it in,  it just disappeared.  I don't know if I just couldn't see it or it evaporated ???  Had the same thing happen to my guppie when I was a kid-----was changing it's water and never saw it again :-[

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

L. Wakefield

OK so- with the lampshade idea- these sound thin enough to curl around. Is that what you mean- make a conventionally shaped lampshade? Or were you talking about something with 4 whadayacallem quadrilateral- - pieces-- that fit flat into a frame? I've seen lampshades like that as well. They'd have to be some kinda thin to be translucent.   lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

ARKANSAWYER

Jeff,  
Dumb Ideal ???  Now I wonder what the edger guy thought when your entry came down the line. ::) ::)  I have cut pine so thin that you can see though it.  I often saw white oak thin to make chesse boxes.  I will look to see if I got one around.  I will get my calipers out today and make a measure or two and see how thin they are.
   Noble,
  Did you frisk the cat for that guppie? :-/

Remember if you use your trimmings in the outhouse to wipe with the grain. ;D
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

pigman

After reading Arkansawyer's post Monday, I went out and fired up the orange machine, rolled on a nice 30in cherry log, set the setworks at 1/16in and started sawing. Ten minutes later I had the most beatiful thin lumber I've ever seen. Anybody want to buy some. If you do I will e-mail it to you. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

DanG

Yeah, Pigman! ya could e-mail me a couple of rolls of cottonwood, if ya don't mind. ;D :D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Bibbyman

This won't win the thinest contest but it's a thin slice of Cedar 6" wide and 12' long that Mary made awhile back.  For some reason she rolled it up and stuffed it under the work bench.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Jeff

Arky are you givin up one of those purty red hats to the winner? Ya know you will have to opt out. I already have one but you can always come up with something else if I won the circle saw division. oh! That would mean you would have to have TWO hats! ;D

ARKANSAWYER

Jeff,
  I got two hats
 since I do not expect you circle blades to try to run with the bands.
  Today I did a 0.056 in walnut but know that I can go thinner.  I bet 1/ 64th is do able.  It was cold and snowing and it kept throwing off my concentration today.

ARKANSAWYER

Jeff

Tom

You're not going to believe this........   we finally got that fly to carry those boards under that microscope where we could see them but can't figure out how to measure the thickness.

Eggsander

This sounds like fun!
If it warms up to the 'teens this weekend I'm gonna have at that frozen oak log (its been laying in the way for three weeks now anyway).
I am a little concerned though. In trying to slice this thing so thin will I actually be cutting cells at the molecular level? This could mean changing the composition of the wood into some other material entirely!
Or worse yet might I actually be splitting the atoms that make up the molecules!
Well then ......
 ;)  :D

Steve

johnjbc

This is cherry

Couldn't get enough light through so I tryed Willow

Willow on left Cherry on right
Used the monitor for a light board

LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

Jeff

Wow! Thats mighty thin. But, I am afraid we will have to deduct points.

The monitor in the picture does not depict the forestry forum. ;D. If I could have saw the FF tree through that I would had to have thought Arky owed somebody a hat. :)

johnjbc

Do you like this one better Jeff

LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

ARKANSAWYER

I can see that there are not many who can cut well enough to compete.   I thought that them smooth cutting swingers would be on this but I can see most folks are afraid to enter.  Now for Jeff to saw 1/16 with a 60" headrig is saying something.  John what did you cut them fine looking shavings with?  I will get me some white oak today and makes some paper.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Eggsander

I'm working on it Arky. I tried yesterday, but I've apparently managed to grind some lead into my teeth. I was having enough trouble getting my trailer plank to come out as nice as usual. I did get under a 16th but the piece wouldn't make 6" x 8'. Them frozen oaks is tough!  :D
I'll try again when I can. I know I ain't gonna do any better than John though. :o
Steve

Thank You Sponsors!