iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How much performance you can get when you change chain pitch

Started by alsayyed, October 22, 2006, 10:18:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsayyed

Yesterday I have purchased 3/8 x 050 chain including bar from Logosol AB because this what Logosol insisted that to rip a log into different sizes of slabs you should use 3/8 and the bar gauge should be .050 even the groove should be the same. So I am going to experiment this advice and see if it will cut faster than the 3/8 063.
My question has any body tried using these combination 3/8 x .050 before and what was the result.

Tony_T

I've got a logosol M5 and have always used the 0.50 3/8 bar/chain combo with Stihl PMX picco chain.  It cuts fast (066 powerhead) and gives a very smooth surface.  Sorry I can't reply directly to your question as have never run the other guage chain.

alsayyed

Thanks Tony for replying I used to use 3/8 x .063 and it cuts very slow I mean very slow then Logosol recommended that I use the 3/8 .050 so I am looking for any single advice. Maybe I will try tomorrow to cut some wood and see how it works. I have the M7 and I use the Stihl MS 650 and 660. Tony do you have any good advice or some hints when it comes to the process of ripping by using the Logosol mill.

treecyclers

When I bought my chainsaws, I asked  the dealer about that exact question.
What I was told was that the closer to 90* you grind the teeth, the faster it will cut. The downside is that it takes more power to drive the chain.
The other thing I was told was to grind off or use a chain that wasn't as low kickback rated.
Low kickback chains have links that limit how much of a bite each tooth can take, and that in turn makes it less likely to kick, or that is my impression.
So, find a chain that is most aggressive, remove the limiter teeth if you so desire, and hog away, but do so at your own risk.
Talk to an expert yourself, and get your own input.
That's what my saw guru told me, and it works for me.
SD
I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

4woody

SawTroll

Quote from: Tony_T on October 23, 2006, 02:10:05 PM
I've got a logosol M5 and have always used the 0.50 3/8 bar/chain combo with Stihl PMX picco chain.  It cuts fast (066 powerhead) and gives a very smooth surface.  Sorry I can't reply directly to your question as have never run the other guage chain.

Have you experienced any chain breakage with the PMX chain, or does it really hold up on the 066/660?

A couple of other questions; Can you use regular 3/8" rim sprockets with PMX?
The reasons I ask, is that they sell the Logosol version with a 7-pin spur sprocket here, and the drive tang on the PM has a different shope compared to regular 3/8" chain. ???
Have you tried regular PM on this setup, for other types of cutting?

Information collector.

SawTroll

Quote from: 4woody on October 24, 2006, 12:15:49 AM
low porfile cuts fast for ripping narow kerf heps to

I believe you, at least the narrow kerf part, but how about chip transport?
Information collector.

4woody

i got pmx looked at it reel good went an got a low profile not narrow kerf to see if there was big difers around one now i think the to chains are faster than a cheisal chain but ican get smother wood with a cheisal chain it is slower

Tony_T

Quote from: SawTroll on October 24, 2006, 05:11:18 AM
Quote from: Tony_T on October 23, 2006, 02:10:05 PM

Have you experienced any chain breakage with the PMX chain, or does it really hold up on the 066/660?

A couple of other questions; Can you use regular 3/8" rim sprockets with PMX?
The reasons I ask, is that they sell the Logosol version with a 7-pin spur sprocket here, and the drive tang on the PM has a different shope compared to regular 3/8" chain. ???
Have you tried regular PM on this setup, for other types of cutting?

I'm not sure and have wondered about the rim sprockets too, I've only used the spur sprocket that came on my 066 purchased with the  M5 mill.  You might want to contact Rob at Logosol, he might be able to give you an answer about the sprocket.

I did break one pmx chain but that was when a vibration set up when first starting a cut, that chain was nearly new.  I've run many other pmx chains right down to where the cutting teeth were almost gone from sharpening without any breakage, so I think the one that broke was just due to it grabbing too much wood and/or binding when the vibration set up.  I should also note that almost all my milling has been hardwoods (ash, cherry, maple, oak) and that sure is harder on the chains too.

Tony_T

Quote from: alsayyed on October 23, 2006, 02:59:07 PM
Thanks Tony for replying I used to use 3/8 x .063 and it cuts very slow I mean very slow then Logosol recommended that I use the 3/8 .050 so I am looking for any single advice. Maybe I will try tomorrow to cut some wood and see how it works. I have the M7 and I use the Stihl MS 650 and 660. Tony do you have any good advice or some hints when it comes to the process of ripping by using the Logosol mill.

Make sure the mill is set up properly as decribed in the manual if you want to get square lumber and true cuts.  It's also important to have it set up on a good solid base especially if you are milling large logs.  The oiler for the chain should be adjusted for maximun oil flow.  Keep the chain sharp, if you feel the speed of your cuts slowing down, stop to sharpen the chain. I always check that the bar is still parallel to the log supports after I remount the saw following sharpening. Flip the bar over after every 2-3 sharpenings to distribute the wear to both sides.  After a lot of use file or grind the bar so that the chain still rides true in the groove. 

Raphael

I've never broken a 16" PMX chain and only one 20" loop has ever broken (that one I'd set a rivet to tight ::) ).
  At 24" on an 066 the PMX is approaching it's stress limit in the denser hard woods and can break if you mill with it dull or try to take the rakers down below .030".  It's also more prone to break if you are running a new chain on well worn sprockets so I try to swap them out as soon as the cut slows down to prevent this.  No problems with chip clearing, get the bar fully embedded in an EWP log and your left leg starts to cool from the fountain of sawdust running past it.

... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

SawTroll

Thank you Raphael !

Over here they don't offer them for more than 20"  bars, and I guess there is a reason for it.

I have heard stories about them breaking quite often, but that is when used by log house buiders, not while milling......
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!