iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help in identifying wood

Started by wassaw, October 21, 2006, 08:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wassaw

I need some help in identifying some wood I came across the other day.  It was dry, so there should be no further color change. Already in board form. Color was a light greenish-yellow and it a a most noticeable aroma, citrusy almost lemon but not quite. As far as I know the wood came from northern Arkansas, but it might not be a native wood. Sure hope someone can shed some light on this for me.

Riles

Gonna need a little more to work with. Pictures help, but what you really need is a 10X magnifying glass and a good look at the end.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Kcwoodbutcher

Sounds like sassafras from the aroma. The color is generally yellowish. It grows in northern Arkansas. It is a pretty lightweight wood.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

wassaw

sorry guys it is not sasafras i grew up drinking the tea from that and have seen the wood the boards i came across were in a pallet mill that i work at light greenish yellow with a citrusy almost lemon smell really bugs me not to know what it is  ???

Riles

Based on color I'd guess yellow-poplar. Have no idea where the smell is coming from.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

SwampDonkey

does the wood have a spicy taste? sassafras

The only other native I could find would be California Luarel. Anyone's guess where the pallet stock came from. Marketed as myrtelwood, but not generally used for pallet stock. Used more for fine woodworking and turnings.

Might even be a citrus tree if someone was replacing a citrus grove and had a sawmill.  ;D

Another option is an African native : Satiné Bloodwood Brosimum paraense I dought someone used it for pallet though unless they lost their marbels. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

wassaw

I finally had some more come through the pallet mill. Luckily this still had some bark to it. I had an old sawmill buddy take a look and was told it was Bowdart. Not sure of the spelling.

WDH

That would be osage orange, Maclura pomifera.  In the mulberry family if he is right.  The heartwood is yellow.  If that is the case, the wood is ring porus, which means there are two distinct pore sizes in each annual ring.  Large pores in the early portion and small pores in the late portion.  Like oak.  Also, the pores should be filled with a crystalline material called tyloses.  It fully fills and stops-up the pores.  Yellow poplar will not have two obviously different sized pores in the same annual ring.  Pic?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Osage has no distinctive odor though. Is the wood real heavy? Heavier than a similar sized piece of oak?

Thank You Sponsors!