iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I Made Boards- Thanks FF

Started by DomR, October 21, 2006, 03:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DomR

First off I want to thank all of you that gave me help, suggestions and pointers in setting up the Oscar.  Radar67, Tom, Dan, tc, ect thanks again. 
We spent Wednesday p.mp. and thursday a.m. setting up and levelling the bunks and lagging them down.  At 1 we started on the first log-14 turns later we had 6 -2 x 8's and 7 4/4 x 12 all 21' long.  No breakdowns or trouble. We loaded another log for Friday morning and celebrated our sucess.  Friday I started cutting at 10 (snow overnight and too much celebrating)  By 11 I had about the same output as the day before and still no problem.  Then I saw my Bro-in-law Bob with an arm full of 2 x 4's that he wanted to rip with the saw for stickers.  I warned him not to do it but he insisted.  So after he hit a nail I changed the blade-IDIOT.  I was able to saw 4 more logs before 2:30 and Bob decided that he needed to take a turn.  After getting the governor tooooooo kick in he started feeding it faster, got the top of the cut really curved and snap, I put on another blade.  I got 2 more logs cut after he went to the cabin to take a nap.  Don't figure I did too bad all things considered.  At the end of Friday I had 24- 2 x 6,  30- 2x 8, 40- 2x 4 and lots of 4/4 and 5/4. everything 20+' long.
Had to leave because I couldn't work with him anymore.  He wouldn't end seal anything,  Didn't want to use stickers, (4 per 20' board).  When he was done using something he just dropped it on the ground or threw it outta the way- and they were my tools.  He pushed my trailer into a tree and broke the tail light with no comment like oops or sorry.
So heres the score
Fuel to pick up saw at set up $140.00
Lost hammer,ratchet,wrenches,sockets  $60.00
Broken table saw (he pushed a 2x8 through it)  $250.00
steel and paint for frame extensions  $600.00
Lights  $20.00
Cutting my first board- $  priceless
I thank all of you again  because I know you are the reason I was able to get the mill to work for me.  It's just too bad that Bob needs to learn the hard way.
life is a merry go round and I'm getting dizzy

beenthere

DomR
Sounds like you are havin a rough time.
Not following the story very well beyond that. Is there another thread that gives an intro to this chapter of the story?

AND your gallery is still empty.  ;D  We like pics............pls help us out here..... :)

Congrats on the first board......sorry for the frustration.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Steven A.

Bob needs to go. :)  Don't know the family dynamics but...... if someone  insists on abusing my equipment and/or doing things that aren't safe they will be asked to go home. Thats not being rude or unkind to your relatives, it is them being that way to you and there is no reason for you to put up with it.

Please don't send him 30 miles east or I'll have to put up with him.  :(

mike_van

We had guys at work like Bob - I couldn't stand to be around them. Glad  you're making sawdust [and lumber]  It feels even better when you get to use some of it instead of running to the "yard"  8)
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

DomR

Beenthere, yes there is another thread, "building a trailer for an Oscar 30".
The camera and pics are another story.  Sometime between me putting new batteries in the camera and the door my 14 yr old decided to sneak them for her walkman so - no pics yet.  The sawmill was purchased by  my mother-in -law to save $ as a new cabin is built.  I did what I could to help them all save money and look where it got me.  I'll probably get it back just in time to fix it.
Steven, Either bob or I needed to go, so I did.  He is a carpenter and lacks patience and understanding to operate anything other than a hammer.  Some people think that working faster makes you more productive.  Others feel that the process is 90% of the work.  I was rolling los onto the saw and not breaking a sweat while bob and his friends were cussin, sweating and asking for help trying to do the same thing.  just don't (or can't use the old noggin.)  and don't worry as he'll be at it til spring near Gordon,Wi
Dom
life is a merry go round and I'm getting dizzy

Radar67

DomR, glad to hear you were successful in making boards. It's a great feeling to turn a log into something useful.  8)

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Dan_Shade

sounds like you're getting there!

I've worked with guys like taht before, it's frustrating at best :)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Part_Timer

Congrats on the first boards.

you get to choose your wife not your inlaws, such a shame

at least you got that hitting metal thing out of the way early.

have fun
Tom

Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

pigman

Quote from: mike_van on October 21, 2006, 06:18:18 PM
We had guys at work like Bob - I couldn't stand to be around them.
I know what you mean Mike. :( I have to be around a guy like that all the time. ;) ;D

DomR, things will get easier after you get some more practice sawing and get rid of Bob. ;D

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Thank You Sponsors!