iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

042 AVE on ebay as parts saw

Started by twoodward15, October 20, 2006, 01:12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twoodward15

Doesn't run, bid is at $9 now.  Needs a clutch and a bar and chain.  I need a winter project.  Would you buy it?  Looks ok.  I'd run it on my chainsaw mill.  What are your thoughts?
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

sawguy21

Think it would be a little underpowered for use on a mill. By the time you put a clutch, bar and chain on it plus any other minor stuff, it may not be much of a bargain. It is getting long in the tooth.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

I've also got an E-Bay 042,had a bad coil,cheap,about 40 or so bucks plus the shipping.Several years later,new plastic,carb rebuild,new coil ,bar,chain,it's up to over 200.

It's not a bad mid sized saw at 68 ccs but lacks near the power to mill with.

twoodward15

Well, I agree and am going to hold off.  Where does someone get a rebuildable 066 or the like for a good price though?  Should I start asking the local tree guys what they do with their blown up saws?  I am running a 55cc McCulloch now, so it won't take much to make an improvement on my mill.  I'd like to be able to pull a 36 inch bar, I just can't lay out the cash for a running saw at once.  If I can buy a rebuildable saw and then slowly get parts to fix I'd be ok.
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

Al_Smith

I don't think there is any such thing as a cheap 066.Not trying to be pessimistic but it seems to be the standard which every thing is measured to.

My little bud,Tom the tree guy,got a junker and after he had it rebuilt he had over $500 in it,closer to $600.I have to admit though.it's one of the stronger 066's I've seen,for a supposidly stock saw. :D

Ga_Boy

The best bang for your buck is to buy a new 660 Mag and run it.

By the time you find an 066, rebuild it and use it you would have the 660 broken in and making wood, it is the cheapest route in the long run.  I have assumed you will use the saw more that a few times.

I say this as my friends in the tree business run their saws till there is nothing left of them, the same goes for loggers.

Most folks that buy the large pro series power heads run and rebuild them till there is nothing left.

Just a thought to condiser before you start sinking money in to a used power head. 

Talk with Dan Shade on here.  He bought a used 066 and has almost put enough money it to it to buy a new 660 mag.

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Thank You Sponsors!