iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What saw should I buy

Started by Wooddogman, October 20, 2006, 11:00:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wooddogman

I cut about 5 or 6 truck loads of firewood a year. I need a new saw , I can buy a Stihl MS 290 or a Husqvarna 455 or a Jonsered CS 2159 ( same price). Which one should I buy? Please Help.

beenthere

If you'd a listed a Stihl MS361, I'd a said go with that one. You didn't, so I'll not mention how much I like mine with a 20" bar for firewood.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

wiam

rebocardo

How big are the logs you cut into firewood and do you use your saw to split the rounds?

luke2

I'm pretty sure the 2159 is the same as a Husky 359. If so, it is pro saw vs. the plastic saws you listed. I've had a 290 and a 359. No comparison.

sawguy21

The MS290 is a decent saw for the price but it is a dated design with a weak oiler. The 455 works well but it is a new design which has yet to be proven. The jonnyred would be a good choice if you have a solid dealer nearby. As beenthere suggested, the MS361 is perfect for your application although a bit pricier than the others.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Woodcarver

I've been cutting firewood and pulp with a Husky 353 that I purchased two years ago.  I'm happy with it so far.  That might be another alternative if you have a good Husky dealer in your vicinity.
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

sawguy21

The 353 is a good saw and popular here although it is smaller than the ones mentioned.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Bernhard

I wouldn´t care for the brand, I would look around a choose the saw cause of the nearesz dealer. All 3 brands you´re mentioning didn´t produce junk...so whatever you buy, you´ll buy quality. Husky and Jonsereds are part of electrolux.

btw:I have only Stihl in use, 018, 024, 028, 029, 044 and 046 and the 029 isn´t that bad. My other stuff is Stihl, too, hedgetrimmers, Brushcutters and a blower. Like I said, I have choosen the brand cause of the dealer. But I have a Partner (electrolux, ) hedgetrimmer, too, my 2nd one, and I´m satisfied with it so far.

Wooddogman

I cut oak and elm and I do have a log spliter.
Thank you to all.

beenthere

What saw have you been using, and what has been your experience with that saw?
How do you move the wood from the forest to the splitter?

Would like some pics (always like pics) too  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

Welcome to the forum.You go from easy splitting wood to a hard one.Need that spliter for that elm.Almost like buying a Ford,Dodge or Chevy.Some will swear by one brand well someone else will swear at it.Good luck.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SawTroll

Quote from: luke2 on October 20, 2006, 09:14:25 PM
I'm pretty sure the 2159 is the same as a Husky 359. If so, it is pro saw vs. the plastic saws you listed. I've had a 290 and a 359. No comparison.

Basically the same, yes.

From these 3 there is no doubt, take the 2159!
The others you mention are not comparable at all, neither in power nor quality.

If you can spend a bit more money, take the MS361. 8)
Information collector.

tcsmpsi

Since you mention 3 saws specifically and one of them is one that I purchased a few months ago, I can tell you only that I just pleased as punch with my 455.  It's well broken in now, and I haven't had the slightest problem with it.  It did take me a little getting used to the vibration reduction movement (more used to running older saws without all that).
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Trax

Stihl MS 290... 56cc semi-pro or farm saw

Husqvarna 455.... 55cc homeowners saw

Jonsered CS 2159 .... 59cc pro-saw

SawTroll

The 290 is definately a "homeowner" saw, not "Semi-pro".... ;)
Information collector.

Wooddogman

I did go out and buy the 2159C Jonsered saw. I used it on Sunday for the frist time.
I was cutting elm. WOW! Best saw I ever had in my hands. I am happy with the buy! I find myself going out to the shop just to look at the red and black thing. Love it!

Thanks to all!

Will not be cutting wood this weekend going Musky fishing, Lake Vermillion, MN.

Wooddogman out 

SawTroll

The "C" model has a cat muffler, so the muffler need to be worked at..... ;)
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!