iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best buys on safety equipment?

Started by Steven A., October 20, 2006, 09:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven A.

I've decided to get safe and buy chaps and a forestry hardhat. I found these chaps on eBay http://cgi.ebay.com/Kinky-mens-PVC-Chaps-SETs-3-pieces-gothic-sz-M_W0QQitemZ150048991518QQihZ005QQcategoryZ70697QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
but they look like they would be chilly in the winter.

Where is the best place with best prices on chainsaw safety gear?

Thanks, Al.

thecfarm

I take it there is not a logging store in your areas.Those are not logging chaps,just in case you don't know.Make sure you get the correct length.It is good to be safe.Check out Bailey's on the left.They have them.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Steven A.

Calling around I found some at Farm and Fleet but they are too long and the gal there says she would not know who could hem them up because its very hard to sew through 2 layers of kevlar. 
Has anyone else here had to shorten them?  How about heming them with some fabric or constrution adhesive?

I thought those on Ebay must be logging chaps. The guy wearing them looks like a muscular logger type don'tcha think?  :)

sawguy21

Modifying PPE is not a good idea but I realize the one size fits all does not work for everybody. We are not all the same height. :D If you are not working under WCB rules Stihl has some reasonably priced chaps that offer good protection.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

beenthere

Steven
Are you serious about getting chainsaw chaps ???

Bailey's would be good. I buy mine from Forestry Suppliers.
I don't start the chainsaw without 'em, cause I just bought my third pair.  ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Steven A.

Yes I am serious about getting them. I'm getting more careful as I age.
Thanks for the info.

Burlkraft

Your third pair  ???  ???  ???

What 'cha doin' to em'  ???  ???  ???

Musta grew out of them.... :D  :D  :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

BBTom

I get some things from Construction Safety Products I see they carry three sizes of chainsaw chaps.
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

beenthere

Yup, third pair, and nope, keep gettin the same size. ;D   (from Forestry Suppliers, where I get mine, but more expensive than the ones listed by Bailey's)

Makin deep chainsaw marks in 'em, and not for fun either. So far has saved some painful wounds to the left leg just at and above the knee.  The first one, in 1983, woulda cut some tendons and kept me from going elk hunting in CO the following day.  Patched 'em up and now use them for emergency only if someone shows up without any, or if help arrives for splittin wood, or just walkin in the woods as the chaps help a lot against gooseberry and rasberry/blackberry stickers.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Timburr

Out of interest, do you chaps have chainsaw trousers over there?  I only ever hear of chainsaw chaps on the FF.
Just about every professional chainsaw guy wears the trousers here.  Chap users are relatively rare. 
Sense is not common

rebocardo

> Where is the best place with best prices on chainsaw safety gear?

I would say Bailey's, that is where I bought mine. I would skip a Stihl helmet, bought from my local dealer. I was not happy with the quality, though at least the replacement parts are fairly cheap.

thecfarm

Timburr,yes we have chainsaw trousers-pants.Bailey's have them.I like the chaps so I can go from chainsaw work to another project without out coming inside to change pants.Don't really know where the guy that cuts wood all day long wear chaps.The crew that I had on my land to cut wood all wore chaps.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Timburr

thecfarm, thanks.  I'm better informed now.  We put ours on in the morning, to replace ordinary trousers/pants and work all day in them, regardless of our work projects.  The extra padding has saved my legs from many a bruising.  I even use them for chainsawing also  ;D They are very comfortable in the winter.  A bit stifling in the summer though.

I'm not a big fan of the Husky helmet.  The ear defenders fall off when they are a bit worn.
Sense is not common

Thank You Sponsors!