iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oil/Grease seal ???

Started by sprucebunny, October 19, 2006, 09:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprucebunny

Have you ever made your own ???

The ones I've found are expensive  and/or just don't come in the size I need.

I was going to either get some square o-ring stock and wrap it around a washer so it would bear on the inside of the bore OR make something with rubber sheet stock sandwiched between washers and bearing on the outside of the wheels hub lip.

Anyone have a good source for bearings and seals or any ideas ???

Thanks
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sprucebunny

I need 3-4 different sizes. The one I need the most of is 2+ 1/8 ID and 2.75 OD

Here's a pic. I'd like to come up with something a little more dirt proof than just a bunch of washers.

Bill

I don't have a super source for bearings but -

FWIW - in a pinch I've been known to make a gasket or two from old thick brown paper shopping bags - seems to work fine for alot of stuff especially old carbs that no one has parts for anymore ( though not things like head gaskets or such ).

I never throw out my old flat ( bicycle mostly ) inner tubes as they're my choice for "rubber" seals when possible.

If you have some choice material for seals that you think is close to what will work I'd surely vote for the no harm in trying it out to see if it does work - I do go slow to "test" the improvisation before trusting it for life or limb though.

A seal held in place by a washer - why not ?

So I'd go for it  - Good Luck

Tim L

Did you try Eastern bearing in Manchester NH ? They can usually look them up by size and not just application. Hope that helps.
Do the best you can and don't look back

chet

Joan,
By your pic it looks like yer tearin' inta yer Bomby.  ;)  You are right, the parts can be expensive. :o  but they should be still available.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

sprucebunny

Ya, Chet. I'm famous for taking things apart. :D

I was just going to put better tires on and fix a couple of scary track bolts but the walking beam was wiggly and on wrong and I couldn't stand it !!!! Then some odd modifications needed to be straightened out. Sooooo......

The parts book calls for "mud felts" and some other weird things and really doesn't bear much resemblance to the way it's together now so I'm winging it  smiley_angel02_wings

Thanks for the Eastern Bearing recomendation, Tim. I'll call them today.

Fla._Deadheader

Bunny, you sure do get into some interesting projects.  :D :D :D

I worked on something a long time ago, that had some very thick felt washers. Possibly "Mud Felts" .  ??? ??? ??? ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

metalspinner

Try these guy's.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

They have gasket sheets in many thicknesses and compositions.   "Neoprene Sheet" is a good place to start the search.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

sprucebunny

Thanks, everyone ;D

I got more bearings and some seals from the place Tim L. mentioned.

Last night I ordered some Delrin ( UHMWPE ) and some neoprene sheets from McMaster/Carr which is where I found the shim washers. They deliver fast  :)

I think I'm going to make a little protector cup for the inside of the walking beam bearing from ABS 3" pipe cap. I'll let you know next week how it all comes together  smiley_hardhat2

Tim L

Glad it worked out SB , they have a lot of knowledge and have been good to me.
Do the best you can and don't look back

Kcwoodbutcher

Delrin and UHMWPE ( ultra high molecular weight polyethylene ) are not the same thing. Delrin is an acetal compound with properties resembling nylon. It will take a higher temperature than UHMWPE but will become brittle at very cold temperatures. It is also not quite as chemecal resistant as UHMWPE. Good luck on your project.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

sprucebunny

Kcwoodbutcher, Thanks for the correction on Delrin.

Do you know where I can find a chart/ website that will show me how different plastics are related to each other ?

I used 2 names for plastics that came to my mind first. I believe the actual stuff was HMWPE ... just whatever they were selling for plastic gasket material.

I've made bearings for a sailboat rudder out of UHMWPE and have an interest in different plastics and thier usage/properties.

Thanks for any help.

rebocardo

> The one I need the most of is 2+ 1/8 ID and 2.75 OD

That is a standard size seal for a Dexter trailer hub I believe, fwiw.

Whenever I wanted something non-standard I go to a Federal catalog and then match it to something I can order at Advance Auto.

Lenny_M

Mud felts are felt washers,Like what woodmizer uses on their saw guides.
Another sorurce for bearings and seals is Motion Industries in manchester.
                                                     Lenny

james

SB;
a little trick my dad taught me for makin gaskets
practice with a piece of cardboard from the back of a writing pad
put the gasket materal on one of the pieces you need to mate together and the round end of a small ball-peen hammer to mark the gasket  then cut the gasket out with a x-acto knife a good thing to practice on is the cylinder head of a old briggs and stratton motor just tap gently around the inside  where the bore is and outside rim of the head and around the bolt holes
i cant count the number of gaskets iv made this way , works great
iv also made head gaskets out of copper sheet this way
james

junkyard

The felt washer/gasket is the same material as the oil filter on your furnace.
Buy a new filter for a couple of bucks take it apart and cut to size. Your in bisness .
A cereal box makes a good gasket. To cut a gaket place it on the part then tap around the outside and inside with a ballpien hammer use the ball to cut bolt holes and tight spots. It  is quicker than tracing and cutting with a knife or sissors just use a little judgment on how hard you tap .
                 Junkyard
If it's free, It's for me. If for pay, leave it lay.

Tom

junkyard

Forgot some of you don't have the priveledge of living through 35 and 40 below zero weather.
                    Junkyard
If it's free, It's for me. If for pay, leave it lay.

Don_Papenburg

Felt liners for snow boots would make a good felt seal also . Use an old liner or cut the seal out of the upper part of the new boot liner you don't want the hole near your toes.
We have a motion industies near me , I didn't know they were a national company . You can get a lot of stuff from them.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Kcwoodbutcher

Sprucebunny it's been a long time since I was employed as a chemist so most of my info books are long gone. One supplier I remember is US Plastics, just looked at their web site and  they list the properties of the various plastics they sell. Other possible gasket material to use would be nylon, polypropylene, and teflon. If you have any specific applications or need special properties feel free to PM me with your questions.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

Brucer

Tom, that big round yellow thing you see in the sky most days is a furnace. Up here we don't see it so much so we gotta put a small one in a metal box in the basement to kinda supplement the big yellow one :).

Joan, you can also use leather impregnated with oil to make a seal for a shaft or a bearing.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

theonlybull

just google up industrial bearing supplier, should find lots of supply houses, that can get that sized seal for ya...    normal seal sizes are metric, so standard measure ones, are a lil' harder to get,  but they can usually find them
Keith Berry & Son Ltd.
machine work and welding

sprucebunny

Thanks for the suggestions and reminders, everyone.

Hopefully, UPS will be delivering a couple of packages later today.

Still need to get the 3" abs pipe caps .

Reassembly should start tomorrow  :) Is there a 'fingers crossed' smilie ??? ;D

Thank You Sponsors!