iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MI Governor makes harvesting sense

Started by johncinquo, October 17, 2006, 02:09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johncinquo

MI Governor signs bills to make harvesting private timber more "profitable".  Interesting way to tackle it.  It also encourages having a plan laid out for long term harvesting, not just slahing down all the trees on your property to make a buck today.

http://www.mibiz.com/absolutenm/templates/template.asp?articleid=10035&zoneid=3
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

beenthere

Appears, on the surface, to be similar to WI's Managed Forest Lands program. In WI, there are two tax levels (both minimal) for forest land placed under a 25 year management plan. One tax rate that allows people to hunt the property, and another rate that allows the landowner to restrict hunting on the property being managed.  With invasive species problems, I opt for the restricted program and can control the hunters on my property. Programs of similar nature have been available in WI for as long as I can remember, at least to the early 60's. There are penalties (back taxes paid for one) if the program isn't followed and one gets kicked out.
For some management (heard about it the other day, where oak establishment may happen best if the land is cleared, burned, and cattle allowed to graze on it for 6 months) plans, cutting all the trees is in the best interest of the land and the future forest for someone else.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ed

Thats good news. I might just look into a management plan now.
I have a friend whose family just had a substantial ammount of timber harvested, they are gonna be upset when they see this. They let the logger go in, select & cut. No management plan, no Forrester, nothing. They were more interested in the short term $$$$$$.

Ed

Thank You Sponsors!