iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lathe Recommendations

Started by Patty, October 17, 2006, 01:43:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patty

I am looking at full size lathes to add to the shop. I know that Oneway is a good brand, but they are kinda pricey. Pricey does not matter if I am getting a good product, but I don't like spending extra for a name. I am looking at Powermatic's new model 3520B also, but don't know if it is as good as a Oneway. I see no point in buying a tool I have to replace in the future because I was afraid to buy the best in the first place.

What do you guys recommend?
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

metalspinner

You will never wear out the Powermatic.  That machine is on my "someday" list. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

SawDust_Studios

First question is what do you want to do with it?  Do you want to hand turn everything or are you looking at putting a duplicator on it?  Oneways are great, but expensive as you suggest.  They are a favorite among bowl turners.  I like the powermatics tools, have no experience with their lathe. Generals are a decent brand for their price, but quality MAY be an issue.

My wish list includes the laguna lathe

http://lagunatools.com/lathes.htm

Great lathe.
Making Sawdust on a Woodmizer LT40SHD CAT 51 /WM Twin Blade Edger and WM DH Kiln

Burlkraft

I've seen that Laguna lathe and it is a MONSTER.........You can throw a whole log on that thing..... ;D ;D ;D  I didn't get a chance to turn on it as the line was very long....but looks like a nice machine. They have a new circle bowl blank cutter that attaches to their bandsaw that works pretty slick too.... ;D ;D

Patty... ya might wanna look at  a Robust lathe...They are just a few years old. Looked them over pretty good at the AAW Symposium last year. I know the founder and he builds a great machine. When ya get to this level the pricing is all about the same. If ya want a big lathe that will do whatever ya want some things to look for are nothing less than 3 hp, big swing, spindle capability, indexable head, variable speed, swing away tailstock and most importaint the correct height.
I own 2 OneWay's and I'm going to replace Jills 1018 with a Robust Sweet 16 with a swing away tailstock. I love my OneWays...but this Robust has been well thought out and can be customized to whatever you want it to be.  www.turnrobust.com
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Patty

Holy Cow! That Laguna is truley amazing!    :o   

Has anyone used the Powermatic?
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Riles

I picked up a high school surplus Powermatic 45 that someone put a link to here on the forum. The good news is that it runs and I got it for $128. The bad news is the missing parts are more expensive than the lathe! So I haven't had a chance to actually use it yet, but I can tell you there is a lot of support online for old iron.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

sawwood

Patty our Turning club had the PowerMatic Lathe and i have turned on
it and its on my some day list. The oneway is a good lathe but the
one thing about it is the tail stock is a number 3 morris taper so you
have to buy there equipment to wourk with it. Some say the General
has a good lathe, might go to Des Moines at the WoodSmith store
and look at what they have.

Lester
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

SawDust_Studios

I have turned on the general and its a nice lather, and well priced.

This is a local place that sells those, but I'm sure there are more around.

www.wilkemach.com

Making Sawdust on a Woodmizer LT40SHD CAT 51 /WM Twin Blade Edger and WM DH Kiln

Captain

My parents are bringing me a lathe this weekend I won on ebay up in Vermont (near them) a few weeks ago.  $99 with a duplicator, mounted on a bench.  Hopefully, it works well...

Captain

shopteacher

I have 2 Delta's at school and a Powermatic 90 at home.  Both are great machines and can usually be bought from a School for a reasonable price. I have seen them on ebay quite cheap for the quality.  I have a 10' Oliver made around the turn of the century that is fantastic.  General is another well made machine.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

capnfrank

I did the research and settled on a jet 1642evs.  I got the whole thing delivered for 2k. I was short on 220v hook ups. I am very satisfied with the machine.  My work quality has increased more than I thought.

SawDust_Studios

There was a nice PM on ebay last week that brought less than $1000, it was close.   Too bad I just upgraded my WM   ::)

pigman

Quote from: capnfrank on October 25, 2006, 08:54:33 PM
I did the research and settled on a jet 1642evs.............    My work quality has increased more than I thought.
Good, that is all the excuse I need to buy a better lathe. 8)  The sad part is it would take more than a better lathe to improve my turnings. Maybe I need some better turning tools also. ::)
Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

capnfrank

You'd be surprised at what a good sturdy machine with variable speed will do to your attitude.  Of course sharp tools are a must.  I got a Richard Raffen tape from Woodcraft and learned the proper way to address the piece with the tool.  Have a good time with your new machine. I'm convinced that a day of turning will increase your life by an equal amount of time.

pigman

This is my lathe. 8)

It is variable speed. The faster you peddle the faster it turns. ;) It is reversible or should I say it it turns one way for a while and then turns the other way for a while. ::)  My gouge was sharp when I started, but it dulled quick. The lathe is fairly sturdy if I keep the pegs driven in tight.
Bob the pro turner

Burlkraft

Bob.....Are you manufacturing these lathes.. ???  ???  ???

Christmas is right around the corner...and Jill was wantin' a bigger lathe  ;D  ;D

How big do they come... ???  ???  :)

pigman

Well, not making them now, but if the price were right, I could try. ;D I suppose a person could make them as long as they could saw a beam. With a very large and long spring pole they could turn a log larger than a WM lathemizer. It would take a large person to be able to push the peddle down though.  I have seen Jill and she would need some help working the peddle. Maybe someone big enough to break a gun stock. ::)

Bob

Burlkraft

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Who

could

that

be.... ???  ???

sawguy21

:D :D :D :D Bob the comedian, you sure do like to stir it up.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Left Coast Chris

Bob.... nice lathe....must be new technology since its not throwing any chips :o ;D

Not to suggest that anything could be better....but in the fall issue of Craft Supply Catalogue there is a new 16" Nova 1624-44 Lathe for $1k.  It looks like a real value for a couple notches up from a starter lathe.   I have a couple of friends with older Nova lathes that turn full time and they love them.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Thank You Sponsors!