iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

This might be too big!

Started by Dangerous_Dan, October 16, 2006, 10:07:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain

If I didn't know he was from Jersey, I would swear he was a Swamp Yankee...

(don't worry Dan, it's a compliment)

Captain

Part_Timer

How could he take it any other way. :)
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

submarinesailor

I was raised to believe at "Yankee" in any term was a 4 letter word. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Bruce

twoodward15

108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

rebocardo

Nice to have some heavy equipment around. Excellent pictures :-)

Dangerous_Dan

I'm in Northern Central Jersey.
I got a question for the Peterson and Lucas guys.
What is the widest log you can mill?
In other words how far does the saw carrage go left to right?
Thanks DD
First you make it work, then you trick it out!

solodan

Any size on my 827. as long as the log is shorter than 16 feet is what they say, but  I think if you move you're up-rights to the ends of the main rails, and extensions at each end you could get it to about 19 feet long, any width. If it is wider than 60" than you just block the mill up. The blade cuts down below the level of the rails, so you may need to move the whole mill side to side to cut a very large log. 61" is the largest I've milled, but I hope I get a chance for a really big one one day. Too bad I didn't have the mill a few years back when a friend of mine fell a 114" sugarpine.  ??? There is word that another guy  I know, may get to fall a Sugar pine that is about 130"

One more note,  If I were to mill that log into lumber only, and take no slabs, I would have trimmed the flair off. If the small end was 55", well that is all you're gonna get any way. The nice thing about splitting it as you did, is you'll get some live edge slabs.

Dan_Shade

I've only helped mill up one big log.  I helped with a 62" diameter log with a peterson.  it was a hassle. Ga_Boy could give more specifics, I get a bit hazy in working the the swingblades. my brain doesn't work that way.

if you are too far on the left side, you can't edge the first boards, if you are too far to the right, you can't drop down for the next row after you start to get to the wider portion of the log.

A log that big, I'd suggest hacking it down with a chainsaw until you can saw up the chunks, be it quartered, or cut down into a big square.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Furby

I belive what solodan was saying was that as you work your way across the log, you can slide the whole mill sideways as well.

solodan

Thanks for the interpretation Furby. :D ;)

Yes, that is what I meant. ;D

Captain

Dan, my WPF is a small frame, it truly has a 51" capacity from the hub of the blade when all the way left in horizontal, to the outside of the blade all the way right in vertical.  If I cut a 48" log, for example, I have to place it correctly in the mill and the boards off the left in the widest part of the log are unedged.

To saw larger (up to about 64" on my mill)  I setup on 2 long, parallel beams and block up from there to get to the top of the log, and slide the mill left and right as others have mentioned to get the whole log cut. 

I can't quote you the exact dimension capabilities of a large frame WPF or ATS (they would be the same) however.  Because of the hassle, I'm scheming a large frame to drop in the center unit on the big boys.

Captain

Dan_Shade

I'd say Mark's saw would saw a "little" bigger, but that's about it, without having to slide the saw sideways.

getting all of those bunks level so you can slide left or right would be a real hassle.

we had to block up Mark's saw to get it to do what it did, then we had to build a platform to stand on to get to the top of the log.

it's also a real feat to get the saw up on the frame for a log that big too.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

SwampDonkey

:D You earned your pay for today D_Dan  :-X :o 8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!