iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dust Collection on Mill

Started by SawDust_Studios, October 16, 2006, 09:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawDust_Studios

Looking to add some sort of dust collector, blower to the mill when it sits stationary. What does everyone use?   Suppliers for such equipment, etc?  What is the easiest, best way to rig to the chute on a woodmizer to allow movement with the sawhead.

Dave
Making Sawdust on a Woodmizer LT40SHD CAT 51 /WM Twin Blade Edger and WM DH Kiln

Bibbyman

Well,  it looks like everyone's talked out on dust blowing. :-X

Here are links to a couple of posts where you may find something interesting.

Blowing sawdust - TK blower

Handy things around the mill

You can also try using the function with the key word "blower" and restrict your search to "Sawmills and Milling.".  That'll give you four pages of stuff to thumb through.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

SawDust_Studios

Thanks Bib..  I did that but all I saw, no pun intended :D, was on modifying the dust chute, etc.  I'll look again restricting the search to this forum.
Making Sawdust on a Woodmizer LT40SHD CAT 51 /WM Twin Blade Edger and WM DH Kiln

OneWithWood

I stole my design for connecting to the chute on the WM from Bibby, who stole it from ElectricAl.  I use a 6" pvc 'y', attched to a 6" clear pvc flexible hose which in turn is attached to a 5hp blower I got from Timberking/Woodmaster.  I shoot the whole mess out through the wall into the back of a dump truck.
The whole thing can be seen in this thread:
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=1400.120

scroll down about 2/3 of the page to get to the dust collection set up
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

SawDust_Studios

Thanks guys.  Not cheap, are they.  Looking at the ones from suffolk machinery.  It would be nice to arrange it to get a large one to take care of the shop and mill, but that is way too much piping.  The 3hp grizzly we have barely does the job and I'd like to stop emptying bags.

OneWithWood

When you add up the time you are spending moving sawdust the cost and time to construct the piping system is negligible.
One With Wood

Bibbyman

Quote from: SawDust_Studios on October 17, 2006, 11:29:43 AM
Thanks guys.  Not cheap, are they.  Looking at the ones from suffolk machinery.  It would be nice to arrange it to get a large one to take care of the shop and mill, but that is way too much piping.  The 3hp grizzly we have barely does the job and I'd like to stop emptying bags.

If you note the setup I had on our earlier mill - a manual LT40 - it just used a $119 blower taken from a Grizzly dust collector.  It lasted something like 5 years and was still going but the housing was wearing out. And it couldn't keep up with the LT40 Super.  We've been running the TimberKing blower for 3-4 years now and are very pleased with it.  It was just under $1,000.00 when we bought it.  Give Will Johnson a call at TimberKing and see what they have available.  They offer a couple of sizes.  Besides, they're sponsors of the FF.
Sawing since '94

SawDust_Studios

Yes, but can they paint it orange?  :D   I'll give them a call to check on price. Always willing to go with a sponsor.  I looked on their website and didn't see anything on blowers

http://www.timberking.com

Dave

SawDust_Studios

Just talked with Russ at Timberking. They only carry the 2 dust collectors on the woodmaster website.  No blowers.  :(

Is this what you meant?

http://www.woodmastertools.com/NS/accessdetail.cfm?PID=88

Bibbyman

That's a bit of a problem with some of these companies - they carry more items than they catalog or advertise.  I wouldn't have known about the 5hp blower we got from TK if I hadn't been exchanging e-mail with Will Johnson.

Another example is – you can get a phase converter through Wood-Mizer (or at least you could).
Sawing since '94

OneWithWood

The DB500 is built around a 5hp blower.  When I ordered mine I told the salesperson I did not need anything other than the blower.  He sold me just the blower without the piping, bags, and stand.  It was under 5 bills if I remember correctly.
One With Wood

Stump Jumper

if you are going to hook a planer or something that might throw a knot i would not use a cast aluminum impeller because i had one explode  :o :o scarry.
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

Furby

SawDust_Studios

No 3 phase.   

Just now became available in our area.  But looks tike the costs of the utility won't justify me having it with only 1 or 2 machines.  If I was building and equiping my shop from scratch, it would be worth it.

Tom

Nothing works quite as good as a 15 mph breeze coming from behind your right shoulder.  Why don't you build a big Lazy Suzan for the sawmill?   If it works, let me know,  I'll want one too.  :D

SawDust_Studios

Tom, I'll see if I can get us one of them car show-room turntables.  That oughta do the trick.  :D

customsawyer

I just installed one of the TimberKing blowers this week and learned that it don't really like to get the sawdust from my edger. The LT70 seems to put out all it wants. I am not a electrition by no means so I was wondering if maybe I had wired it wrong. It is spining in the right direction so I would think it is wired right. If one of you guys with knowledge about that shocking stuff could tell if I have it right or not it would help. I did get the hose part working pretty good. I ran 6" thin wall pipe for 10' then got some of the 6" black flex drain pipe with a coupler and hooked it to the mill the coupler is hooked to the mill then the pipe goes in the coupler and this lets the pipe swivel in the coupler like Bibbyman was talking about.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

SawDust_Studios

CS,

Did you just ask for the Dust Collector they had without the bags, etc?   I'm still trying to make a decision here. I have an extra 1 1/2 hp collector here, but don't think that will do the job.

I'm no expert, but do you have a Y or something going from the mill to the edger?  If its 220, its hard to wire wrong.

customsawyer

I had a Y going to the edger but I don't now as I have it going strait to the mill all the way with 6" pipe. Does anyone else have trouble with this blower picking up the wet sawdust?
I did ask for just the blower and they sent me all the other stuff anyway.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Ron Wenrich

I'm not an electrician, either, but I would think if you are picking up sawdust from your mill, then picking up sawdust from the edger has nothing to do with wiring.  I has to do with suction.

We tried using a Y for our edger, but it never worked too well.  We had too much distance, too many bends and were trying to move more volume of air than the blower could handle.  Now we just let the farmers come in and shovel on their trucks for free.

Most guys do build a box under their edgers, if they are using a blower.  Most use a seperate blower, just not as big.  The box helps to keep everything sliding to the blower intake and is shaped in a V. 

Other options on edgers are augers, drags and belts.  Low tech, low maintenance and keeps the dust out from underneath the edger.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Faron

The large corregations on the drainage might be hurting you some.  They might cause more friction loss than a regular flex hose.  Getting the blower as close to the machine as possible is necessary.  You can blow dust lots farther than you can pull it.  Having the box under the edger like  Ron mentioned was the only way we could get ours to work.  Are you shutting off the air to one machine at a time, or are you going to use both at the same time?
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Bibbyman

We have at least 20' of 4" PVC going to the edger with a couple of 90° bends.  It'll suck the dust out but we don't have a good collection setup under it.  So every 20 minutes or so, Mary kicks sawdust that has spilled out on the floor back under the edger in the mouth of the pipe. 

I 'spec it works much better at the mill because the dust is alread being pushed out by the sawing.  We have about 20' of 4"PVC going to where we connect to about 20' of 4" flex hose. 

Maybe if you reduced down to 4" it'd suck better?
Sawing since '94

OneWithWood

I have no trouble pulling from the sawmill with a 6" smooth bore PVC flex hose.  I do have blast gates installed so that when I am pulling from the mill that is the only artery open.  The only piece of equipment I have that would be close to an edger in volume is probably the Woodaster 718 planer.  It is set up with a 4" hose for about 6 feet straight up and then it Ys into the main 6" trunk line.  I do not get the suction I would like off the planer but I think it is more a function of the placement of the blast gates then a function of the blower CFM.
One With Wood

customsawyer

Thanks for all the replies I have it working pretty good for right now as I moved the blower closer to the mill got rid of the line going to the edger and changed the angle on the discharge off of the mill going to the blower.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!