iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Burls , trees and forest .

Started by isawlogs, October 16, 2006, 11:05:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

isawlogs

While hunting for moose , I thought to bring my camera and take a few pics of parts of my little world  ;)
Some small some big , but all are taken while walking the woods .

Black ash

Spruce or tamarak

maple

cedar

Gotta find english name ::) :P

Pine

tamarak

tamarak

White spruce

Cedar tree

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Burlkraft

Ya did that just to make me start droolin' didn't ya Marcel  ???  ???  :D  :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

beenthere

But no pics of the moose  ??? ???
Great burl pics in the woods. See any moose (moosii, mooses, meeses)?

Burlkraft
I know where there are some burls just layin ready to pick up  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Murf

Be careful out there mon ami, when the trees start arming themselves like that!!  :o

You go out there with a chainsaw an they could start shootin at ya!!  ::)
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Ironwood

Isawlogs,

What did they dress out to (#)? Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

sprucebunny

Some of those look huge  8)

I'm amazed that you found so many ???

Are softwood burls good for turning, also ???
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Stump Jumper

Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

Stump Jumper

Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

isawlogs

Burlkraft    ;D

No moose this year .. we only had tags for bulls ...  ::)

Dont worry Murf . I'll go back with chainsaw and full body armor  ;)

Reid ...  5/4 "s   ;D

Hey Joan , there was more of them out there , I had not brought the camera the first few days . :-\  As for turning the soft woods .. some have nice figure some not its only once you open it up that it will reveill itself

s_t   I like those pumps , got three of them , 2 X  .270 's and a 308 .  If you can handle them wright , you can almost compete with the semi auto . I see you got the see through scope mounts , I never could understand why there are some out there with out them .
  What caliber is that one .  ???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Stump Jumper

It is a 280 Rem Model 7600 with a  4x12 redfield Golden 5 Star - with adjustable objective lens -  at a 100 yds I can keep the bullet holes touching.  Teaching my son to do the same this year hopefully. ::)  Because he will be using that to hunt with I will be using a 300 win mag bolt action winchester  featherlight that I have been practicing with darn shoulder is starting to hurt but I can also make bullet holes touch with that one at 100 yds.
Jeff
May God Bless.

isawlogs

I had a 280 rem. , some [I have typed a profane word that is automatically changed by the forum censored words program I should know better]   >:( >:( Someone took it outa my house without my permission a few years ago , I needed the gun to go hunting , could not find a 280 at that time , there was one in the middle of the States and one out in Saskatchewan , no time for it to get here , I was leaving for a caribou hunt , so I got the other .270 win.
That 280 was my gun , ya know the gun you can lift and know it will be on target each and every time .

Marcel

Norm

Ok Marcel here's a little tip to help with your moose hunting....they are not tree climbers.  ;D

We are not allowed to use anything but shotguns for deer hunting in Iowa but I used to go to Missouri quite alot just to get the pleasure of hunting with my 700bdl. It had a cheap scope on it but boy did I ever love shooting with it. About the same time I quit going down there the scope lost it's reticles, felt like I lost an old friend.

Weekend_Sawyer

Those Remington's are real nice guns, I have been hunting with one since I bought it used in 81'. Three of the huters at our Cabin also have them, all chambered in 30-06, Last year we all scratched our initials in our clips cause everyone kept picking up the wrong one. We don't have that problem with the rifles, you always know your own gun. Mine has a real nice Leupold (sp?) 3x9 scope on it. The guy told me the scope cost as much as the gun did.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Burlkraft

I'm usin' the Remington 700 I got when I was 12 years old.  ;D  ;D
30-06 bolt...she looks tough, but she's a deer killin' machine.....
Gonna get her out soon and maybe shoot a T-zone doe.
Got a hankerin' fer some fresh steaks... ;D  ;D  ;D

I wonder about Beenthere...he was talkin' about shootin' one this weekend..... ;)   ;)

beenthere

Yep, he was talkin, but he's 'all talk'  ;D

Was out, and the woods was quiet, although out in the open a strong NW wind was blowin, and the temp about 34°. All I saw were the lesser quality trees that should be thinned out to make the woods look leaner and meaner. So more work today, but I cut down several this morning, of which two will make firewood and the others just continue to rot on the ground.

What I did notice were all the ash trees that are in my woods. Knew they were there, but didn't realize that they are about 60% of the stand.  Gonna be a shame when (if  ???) that ash borer makes it here, and there is talk that it won't be long now.

No burls on any trees that I am aware of (after 41 years, think I know them pretty well in my few acres). There are several large white oak, some reasonable quality, and some low quality and potential firewood. A few large red oaks with likely rot in their centers, and probably coon homes as well.  I like to see them stay, although the forester urges me to get them out.  :)  Couple patches of soft maple and some aspen along some old field edges (the old field has been in a 3 acre black walnut plantation since '71 - just for fun).

So, no burls and no deer. (Burlkraft, where is there a T-zone this year?)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Burlkraft

T Zone...Eradication Zone....CWD Zone...I can't keep up with all the names they got. One of 'em opened this weekend here. For 9 days I believe...... ::)  ::)  ::)

If ya been there that long...a guy would think you would have a nice warm place ta hunt... :D  :D  :D

I did saw one of those burl logs today....Got a lot of turning stock...a mantle for the new fireplace and a couple of boards... ;D  ;D  ;D

I'll put some pictures in my gallery tomorrow..I gotta watch Dallas get beat...

isawlogs

Stick um in here ... we could use this one for the burl picture posting ...

Bow season on here .. then theres a few days of black powder , then there will be gun  8) 8) 8)

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!