iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Some more seed planting thanks to bitternut

Started by SwampDonkey, October 14, 2006, 02:19:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Herb (bitternut), has been waiting for his woodlot bitternut trees to have ripe seed to collect for me. We don't have them this far NE, so I wanted to try some on the woodlot. Nice looking seed Herb.  8) The seed arrived yesterday and I got busy today planting them. I selected the dryer sites with the maximum sun exposure I could make a hole at. My woodlot has a subtle slope toward the south. The softwood trees should break the wind during winter months once they start growing. I'm going to end up with the most diverse woodlot in NB.  ;)

I added this pic to the Tree ID thread that was started last winter.

cheers  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

bitternut

Good luck with the seed SwampDonkey. Hope they grow for you. Guess I should have left the husks on some for the tree ID thread. Glad they got there OK.

Mike_Barcaskey

Planting tree seeds has its down side too.
Knowing you wont be around to see them reach maturity
kind of bittersweet  :D
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Onthesauk

One of my favorite stories was about a fellow in his early 80's who still got out and planted a couple of hundred walnut seedlings every year.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

SwampDonkey

There was an old fellow in Ontario doing the same thing and his family were not at all interested in trees and woods.  ::)

I find alot of absantee owners with the same attitude. Sometimes you find a cityslicker land owner with land that needs pre-commercial thinning done and they aren't interested, even when it's free. \|shrug|/  :(

Mike_Barcaskey

Quote from: SwampDonkey on October 15, 2006, 07:42:30 AM
Never said I wanted to cut trees.  ;D ;)

I never said I wanted to cut them, just that I would like to see them get big.
Oh but mere mortals are we
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

SwampDonkey

They's big enough when I can walk in under'm and look up. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!