iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Frame Saws(multi rip)

Started by kabe1953, October 12, 2006, 07:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kabe1953

Does anyone have any experience with these http://www.lakssagen.se/uk/laks500_uk.html or similar.
Looking at options to speed up processing of 100 x 25mm boards from billets.
Seems to me that this is a very simple and efficient way of doing it. Maybe not as fast as a circular multi rip but less kerf width.
Looking at this machine it appears to be dead simple to build.
Currenntl have an old Aida moulder that has been converted to a 2 blade rip and am looking at adding 3 additional blades and driving from the PTO of my tractor as don't have power on the mill site.
Picking up a recently purchased Dankaert 4 head moulder next week to run 90 x 19mm decking on.
Thanks to this forum looking at doing some things with "AusLJW" whereby we can both make some $$$$$$$$$'s.
Push him he go, Pull him he come

amberwood

Kabe...I priced that very saw last week with intention of resawing cants off the LT40 for stud pine material. The narrow kerf of the blades would be so much quieter and less wastage than the circular blade of your current ripsaw...with the complexity to match.

EUR18000 plus freight across the world..call it AUD$30k. Alot money but would prob pay if you could keep the material up to it.

It is a dead simple design that could be emulated with the frame running off a crank, a couple of feed chains for the blanks and you are in business. The hard part is the blades. Not exactly off the shelf at Bunnings or Mitre10.

DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

Norwiscutter

What is different from your typical gang rip saw that I am not seeing?
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

kabe1953

G'day amberwood, thats a whole lot more than I would have expected, it puts it out of my price range. Yep I have looked real hard at it myself I don't see anything overly difficult to make myself. However I did speak to Henry Bros Saws today and there is a little secret with them, on the frame upstroke you have to get clearance between the blade and cant or you dull the blade real quick or if using carbide tips you rip them off. So it is a little more complicated than what it first appears. Blades dont seem to be a problem as you can use std bandsaw blade cut to length. Henry's actually supply it to someone in Perth who use one. Henry's also said they are slow which the specs on their web site say .7m/min.

NORWISCUTTER the difference is that the Laks uses a gang of bandsaw like blades tensioned in a frame whereas a conventional gang rip uses circular saw blades.

Amber how do you find the LT40 in local hardwood I am looking at a band mill but still not convinced seeing as I mill mostly dry Qld hardwoods.
Regards
Push him he go, Pull him he come

amberwood

Kade,,i must admit I have not used it on local stuff yet just the radiata..I had Brian from Woodmizer in WA demo a LT40 electric on some the hard stuff and it flew through it. A 3m length, 700 diameter into floorboards (about a cube recovered)in 20min. I was sold right then.
Sharp blade, and the right feed speed, and change the blade more often than you want to. If only half blunt it take one lap around the sharpener and it it brand new. The blunt ones hurt production speed and quality, plus take forever to resharp.

DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

Thank You Sponsors!