iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I need advice on store bought guides.

Started by Modat22, October 09, 2006, 08:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Modat22

I'm having serious blade control issues on my mill and I know its caused from my guides. My guides are only adjustable in the x,y & z axis with no forward or backward tilt adjustment.

I like the Cooks guide retrofit but I plan on going to a 1.25 inch blade and the cooks website doesn't show an option for the 1.25" wide blades only 1.5 or 2".

I could make a set of guides and harden them but I will have to buy mill and lathe tooling, basically I don't know if it will be cheaper to make them or buy them because I haven't found any to price.

Any advice out there?

Signed the incredible diving bandmill blade.... >:(
remember man that thy are dust.

Fla._Deadheader

That's strange. My son just ordered a pair of retrofit 1¼" guides for me from Cooks. I talked to him this AM.  ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Modat22

On the website I only see guides for 1.5 inch or 2". I'll call them and see what they say.

Ahh wait a sec. I was looking at the mega guide retrofit thingy. I found more size options under standard guides. Sorry about that fella's

Furby

highpockets

Modatt I thought you built a set of guides.  From my limited experience, I look at blade tension.
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

Shawn

My guides work fine, as long as I keep them greased. I had a serious blade dive. When I tried to back out the blade, Gently, it came off thr wheel and brook about 20 teeth on the guard. Can Cook's fix that??? When I went to change my blade I noticed I didn't secure my jam nut on myy tenstioner. It was quite loose.

BTW, not only did I kiss my log clamps last weekend, twice, I was stacking some boards and found I had sawed right through a bullet. Small caliber lead tip is all I found. Forrest Trees too. 30" red oak coming down today. Any onebody know how to post video?

Shawn...
Change is part of the design process.

Admit nothing, Deny everything, Make counter-accusations

Modat22

Quote from: highpockets on October 14, 2006, 06:22:18 AM
Modatt I thought you built a set of guides.  From my limited experience, I look at blade tension.

I made some but I hate em, takes to long to adjust, no fine adjustment and no means to adjust forward backward tilt except using shims. I did find that my guide arms where bent when my mill fell off the piers. New bar stock and a little adjustment made it cut true again.

I still plan on buying some cooks guides.

Thank You Sponsors!