The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: More Power! New Engine Questions...  (Read 5829 times)

Offline WkndCutter

• So much wood, So little time.
Re: More Power! New Engine Questions...
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2006, 11:06:43 am »
The new band wheels will have to fit the bearings and shafts already on the mill.  Also the new engine will have to fit the existing engine mount.  The guides already are made to move so no problems there.  The guards are bolt on so I don't see any aligning problems and I think I can design them to be easier to use and to be more quiet.  Hud-Son doesn't make that model with a bigger engine.  I think I can make all the modifications for under $1000 and I'll have a better mill than the next grade up from Hud-Son.  If I go up to a bigger Hud-son then I loose my custom track and I might as well go up to a WM LT40HD and take advantage of hydrolics.  I don't want to spend tens of thousands of $$ on this.  Not yet.  I have very good metal working skills and engineering ability.  I hear what you mean though and I could see where this could get out of hand and I don't want to make my own problems with this mill.

Offline Dan_Shade

• Senior Member x2
  • I don't want to edit my profile!
    • Shade Custom Sawing
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2006, 11:08:36 am »
I started off on the same thoughts you are on before upgrading.

I found the Hud-son to be somewhat flimsy, i don't know that the saw frame can take that much abuse, with the more horsepower + the bigger wheels?

why not go ahead and fabricate a new frame out of 2x2x.25 tubing?

I'd look at selling the 28, and stepping up to a bigger mill.  The Linn setup may get you pointed in the right direction....
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Offline Dan_Shade

• Senior Member x2
    • Shade Custom Sawing
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2006, 11:16:12 am »
I'd give what you are doing a LOT of thought.

having logged in many hours and days of sawing with the 28, I know it pretty well.   12hp, is probably still going to be on the weak side.  my new saw has 25hp, and I even wanted more a few times this weekend, but 20hp, is what I would call a minimum.

I was spending all day sawing up what would be a 2 hour job, or less with a good saw.

why not just step up, make the improvements, get better guides, better up/down mechanism, maybe even some sort of hand crank head drive mechanism?  depending on how far you want to go, and your metal shop access, you can build up a nice mill and keep the track you've already built.

my dad has a nice metal shop, but he's 150 miles from me.  if I had one here locally, i'd have probably built my mill.  but i'm very happy with what I've got right now.

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Offline WkndCutter

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2006, 11:47:10 am »
Dan,

I was kind of hoping you were going to chime in on this.  The object here is to either upgrade or get a new mill.  I know what you mean by the amount of work on a 28 vs. what you have now.  I cut on a job with VaSawer once, his LT40 cut circles around me.  I may look into a better saw but until I find what I want I will continue plans to upgrade.  As far as building a better frame I suppose that will come down the pipe but not too soon.  If I follow through with the power upgrade the bigger engine will cause the clutch, guides, guards and wheels to have to be changed.  I will gain a 4 hp and +1400 fpm of blade speed.  The frame should hold up.  I still have to find parts and see what this is going to cost me.  I'm sure the cost of even a used mill will be much more even after selling the mill I have.  If I can get a bigger hydrolic mill I may take the plunge though.  We'll see.

Andy

Offline Dan_Shade

• Senior Member x2
    • Shade Custom Sawing
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2006, 11:57:53 am »
i guess i'm sort of stuck on why you wouldn't want to build a new frame...

it would only take a few sticks of tubing which would probably cost a few hundred bucks and be 50x stiffer than the hud-son.

then you could sell your hud-son striaght out.

Offline WkndCutter

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2006, 12:43:53 pm »
I hear what you mean about the frame.  We have looked at it and it has been on our list of things to do for some time.  Right now for what I do I think this saw works for me.  The upgrade to a bigger engine would give me more power and better/faster sawing.  I think making a bigger/stronger frame would also be in order but I'll take things one at a time.  If I do move up to a bigger saw I will move way up and go to a WM.

Offline wiam

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2006, 09:18:36 pm »
Sounds like a lot of work for 4 hp.

Will

Offline WkndCutter

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2006, 06:16:17 am »
After all the previous posts on this thread I went back the the drawing board.  Wiam has it right, too much work for just 4 hp.  So I am working on just changing the engine mount and leaving everything else alone.  This would include some minor welding on the saw head and the removal of the old engine mount.  I can also move up to 16hp and not have to mess with the wheels or guides.