iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Log Home: An American Tradition

Started by hawby, January 15, 2003, 05:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawby

Was wonderin' if anyone else happened to watch the show on HGTV Sunday night? It was very interesting.

I especially enjoyed the part about the pair of guys in Texas that go around looking for real OLD log homes, then they tear them down, rebuild, remanufacture, and turn them into useable "new" homes.

There also was a segment on the use of charred logs from Payette (sp?) National Forest. They built beautiful home from those burnt trees. (Bonus: The Forest Service got a few M$$ for them rather than let them rot, or become feed for another fire, or insect infested)

I tried to search to see if it is going to be on again (Most TV is repeated over and over these days) but I can't find it yet. It is worth watching if you happen to see it advertised.

klh
Hawby

Missin' loggin', but luvin' the steady check...

Tom

I saw it ......pretty neat show.

Most pine killed by fire down here would be bug riddled and rotten before they could get it into a house.  Something must be different up there.

Jeff

I watched it. Great show. I wish I had the numbers to throw out there on the amount of dead timber that they were able to reclaim. I learned somethings from that show.

I could not find any future air dates but there is a lot on the website about the different segments along with resource and research sources.

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/spcl_prsntn/episode/0,1806,HGTV_3909_12614,00.html
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ADfields

QuoteMost pine killed by fire down here would be bug riddled and rotten before they could get it into a house.  Something must be different up there.

I think it's just that it's dry out west so you get less wood eating bugs.   In Arizona I can show you Pondrosa Pine that burned to death in the 70's and a lot of the stuff still standing would cut good lumber today!   About all the bugs get when it's standing is the wight inner bark so the outer bark falls right off, leaves little tracks/lines on the serfice of the log when thay eat the inner bark like that.   It's not fun to cut that black stuff all day, you soon look like a 40's black face stage act gone bad!   Now if it's on the ground for a winter it will be about all punk.   After 2 or 3 winters you hit the knots with a hammer and thay pop right out and the log is just dust, them knots will burn good and hot all night long.  
Andy

SawInIt CA

Great show. I t would be great if other government agencys acted in that manner.

beenthere

Much better to manage and utilize that wood before it burns. Some species (for sure, Alaska yellow cedar) will stand a long time dead, but the danger to workers in beetle killed or fire killed timber is pretty high and the utility of many species is a very short time. Less than a year, usually. But utilizing dead timber has been a subject discussed for many years, because there is so much of it.
Regards Alaska Yellow cedar, it will stand for a 100 years and not lose its utility or strength. But cutting it for use is not possible with today's management plans. The foreign markets seem to only want live trees.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom

That's exactly why I think that we should not hesitate to create our own market.  If you can only sell what the market wants, you end up with a single product and depend on the "market" to do your development.

If we step out there with a new (?) product and begin to convince people that it will work, then  we are selling what we have rather than just farming what they want.

ADfields

I'm with yea Tom!   If you put a good product on the market at a good price it will be found to be a good value and THEN comes the demand for it!   In Alaska we also have beatle killed spruce all over the Keni thats still good but if it's not soon cut it wont be, for now it's just a huge fire danger down there.   People here love the beatle killed spruce becous thay know it's a good log even if it's been dead 5 or 10 years so it has a market but we cant cut it for trying to cut the red tape of the USFS!
Andy

Thank You Sponsors!