iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log grading

Started by fireman05, October 10, 2006, 07:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fireman05

Does anyone know were I could find information on becoming a log grader?  In my area of Michigan, we are required to have logs graded for constructing log homes etc.  I am looking to attend a course if there is one available.  I have a sawing operation where I also kiln dry and finish lumber into hardwood flooring, V-match paneling and molding.  I am looking at offering small cabin packages constructed with logs.  I'm not sure if going through the hastle of becoming a log grader will be benificial to my business or not.  Any help would be great!
Wood Mizer LT40G Manual, Nyle L200 kiln, Logosol PH260 Moulder, Kubota L4300 with Farmi winch

Don P

Presently there are only 2 accredited grading agencies approved for logs. Timber Products Inc out of Conyers GA and the Log Homes Council out of DC (they are the milled log home lobby arm of the NAHB). I don't know how the LHC does it, or got accredited for that matter  :-X :D. TP wrote the book, talk to Rick Patrick, their training admin. Its the same setup as grading structural lumber. You must be a fixed location, join their organization, pay monthly membership and fees based on volume, For logs they train on your site. They drop by whenever they have a mind to, unnanounced, and check your graders work. I've built for a number of audited log home manufacturers, most were fairly large.

Current national code, being enforced locally, is that all structural wood be graded, logs included. For the handcrafters and small producers I think the only way is to bring in one of TP's graders. I can get the guy that does the check on local plants for about $65/hr including travel/ 1/2 day min. You need some manpower or machinery to make best use of time, he needs to see all faces. I don't know the exact numbers but I believe you would need to be putting out several per month before considering doing it in house.

Interesting research, tell me if you can find anyones mandate to accredit anybody to grade logs. Yet the code says all structural wood shall be graded, when adopted code is law. We live in a strange world  :D. I will say though, the folks above are the most qualified.

Jim_Mc_Dade

Hi Folks, I live in N. Michigan also.  I looked into having timbers graded and from what I found out, finding a accredited grader is not a simple phone call.  This has been bugging me for some time, so I ordered an $8 pocketsize book "Standard Grading Rules for Northerneastern Lumber" from NELMA, approved by the American Lumber Standard Committee Board Of Review.  This is not rocket science.  With the book in hand(no need to memorize) any person that could read a tape measure could easily grade a timber.  Amen! Thanks Jim Mc Dade

Jim_Rogers

Jim:
What you say is true, it's not rocket science. And everyone who wants to learn to grade timbers can easily do as you say. And those who sell timbers should learn to identify the grades they saw, so that they can explain what the grade is of the timber they are selling to their customers. And also  for being able to meet the grade requested by the customer.

However, fireman05 is asking about logs, which is a different thing all together.

I haven't personally studied the NeLMA grade rule book to the fullest, and I'm not sure if it deals with grading logs.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Jim_Rogers

I took a few minutes to review my NeLMA grade rule book and I couldn't find an entry anywhere for dealing with logs.

I haven't had any experiences in constructing anything with logs, so I'll have to say I don't know about this "log grading" subject.

I'll have to rely on what has been posted by Don_P as being some good information about grading logs.

Jim Rogers

solodan

Now i'm curious about what Don P said. ??? Are the two agencies he mentioned really grading logs, or are they grading milled logs for log homes? Two different things here, cause a milled log the way I see it is not a log. Find out what it is they grade and to what size, even which species. Then offer something outside the agencies paameters. Does it have to be graded by a particular agencey? There has been talk on this board about starting up a grading agency or just making you're own stamp, cause if it on grade then it is on grade, it shouldn't matter who stamps it. ::) ??? :-\

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Don P on October 10, 2006, 10:26:39 PM
....... Its the same setup as grading structural lumber. You must be a fixed location, join their organization, pay monthly membership and fees based on volume, For logs they train on your site. They drop by whenever they have a mind to, unannounced, and check your graders work. I've built for a number of audited log home manufacturers, most were fairly large.

This is how NeLMA works, in order to join you have to be voted in by the membership. You have to pay the dues and monthly that was $275, when I learned about it from a NeLMA rep speaking at a function, it could be more by now. If you don't get voted in then you're not in.

You can't get a grade stamp if you're not a member.
You can't get a grade stamp if you're a portable mill......

All stamps are issued by the lumberman's associations around the country as the lumber industry is self policed. All associations must abide by some national rules but the government is not involved.

That's about all I know about the way things work.

For me, I try my best to put out lumber that meets the grade requirements of the customer. With timbers for timber framing that is usually grade #2 or better.

Solodan, if you want to know more about what these two agencies are doing then you may have to do more research into them.

Good luck.

Jim Rogers

Don P

As far as I can tell I'm working under some of the strictest enforcement of the building code that most of us are under. Any structural member would need to be graded here. Your situation may vary, mine was quite different until a few years ago and still varies county to county. The upcoming codes regarding log and heavy timber, if adopted, will pretty much eliminate any gray area with regards to grading requirements. Really there is no grey area now. Enforcement always varies.

If your inspector or client requires recognized log grading, this is them;
http://www.tpinspection.com/LogHomeServices.html

HARLEYRIDER

thanks for the link Don. I might be in the same boat.
....so, someone with a portable mill can't get a stamp? what if its in a fixed location?
Greenwoods Timberworks

Jim_Rogers

Thank You Sponsors!