iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dolmar PS-401

Started by Woodcarver, October 09, 2006, 12:44:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodcarver

The Husky 36 (Poulan in disguise) that I bought for my wife 10 years ago finally died.  I'm shopping for a small, light saw to replace it.  The saw will be used for trimming brush, limbing and maybe a carving saw (detail).  The Dolmar PS-401 looks like it may be a possibility. I think it is a fairly recent addition to the Dolmar line.  Has anyone had any experience with it?
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

ehp

I got one here that they said was scrap, nothing wrong with it and it seems to have more power than what the book says, really its not that bad of a saw . It starts ,cuts well , and has not given anyone here any trouble when they run it , I think what happened to it is the chainbrake came on and they didnot know how to get it off so they threw it away in the scrap pile , Lavern picked it up and it runs like a champ

sawguy21

:D :D :D :D That is great. I gotta find a mechanically inept neighbour like yours.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Woodcarver

I'm with you sawguy.  I should be so lucky. :D

Thanks for the input, ehp.
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

ehp

there is a wrecking yard just down the street and you cannot believe what some people throw up, 2 weeks ago Lavern brought me over a 266 Husky , 15 minutes later she was running and ran good so now he has a good saw to go with the 066 stihl to cut firewood with

bcraw98

I've had a PS-401 for about a year now and overall I've been happy with it. On the plus side, it's light with good power and never fails to start. Minus side, I don't like the chain tensioner because it's hard to get too and I have to remove two machine screws to clean the air filter..........nothing major. I mainly use it to limb hardwoods and pine, but I've used it to fell around 24" white and red oak on occasion. I probably have 200 hours on it and 100% trouble free.

My other Dolmar is a 5100S, and I LOVE this saw even though it's now in the shop for repair..........luckily it's still in warranty.
Wife and best Friend, 3 girls and a boy, son-in-law, lots of land, horses, cows, and trees. Life is Good

bcraw98

I just finished trimming a 12 ton load of pine logs and it reminded me of my main gripe about the 401, the DanG bar oil hole is way to small for someone as messy as me.
Wife and best Friend, 3 girls and a boy, son-in-law, lots of land, horses, cows, and trees. Life is Good

SawTroll

You didn't use the 401 for that, I hope..... :D :D
Information collector.

bcraw98

Yup, the trees were cut and piled in stacks of about 5 with my skidsteer and forestry tree shear, and then the ps-401 went to work delimbing with a little help from me.  ;D

luke2

I agree with all of the comments,,, I would have missed the small oil fill hole though. With a muffler mod, it is a strong little 8lb saw. Mine has never let me down. Like all Dolmars of its generation, and I guess Stihls too, there is no prefiltering of air.

SawTroll

Quote from: bcraw98 on October 12, 2006, 01:30:44 PM
Yup, the trees were cut and piled in stacks of about 5 with my skidsteer and forestry tree shear, and then the ps-401 went to work delimbing with a little help from me.  ;D
Hmmm - I guess I missed the "trimmed" part of your story.... :-\
Information collector.

bcraw98

One more dislike about the 401 is the starting procedure is kinda busy. Ignition switch, compression release, choke, throttle lock are all required with seperate levers/buttons. It  may sound like I don't like the 401 much but I do because it's dependable with plenty of power for its weight. I just see some things that could be improved so that the saw could maybe wind up being worked on more often  :D

Thank You Sponsors!