iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

square trunk tree

Started by bitternut, October 08, 2006, 10:51:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitternut

We have a new variety of black cherry trees growing in NY State. It is about 16" dbh and has a square trunk. This variety should yield a lot more lumber than the round variety. Any body ever see one like this before?

Tom

Never have, but I've dreamed of it many a night.  :D

rebocardo

DanG

I had one once, a couple of years ago.  Big ol' pecan log.  It was so full of metal, I never sawed it. :-\

"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

thecfarm

Nope,I have never seen one.Interesting.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

asy

I wonder if that's nature or nurture?

As in, I wonder if something in it's environment made it grow that shape, or, if you take seeds/cuttings from it, would they TOO be square!?

Are there any others that shape anywhere near it?

Very interesting.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

DanG

Purely happenstance in the case of my tree.  There were 4 major roots that formed a buttress around the tree, and they just happened to grow in a symmetrical manner.  The bole was rather short, about 12-14 feet long, so that shape carried up to the crotch.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

mike_van

Whats the square root of that tree?? :D  :D
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Tom

Bill

I know that when we start to talk about food the thread goes all to heck but its just too good a straight line I gotta go with it - sorry about this to all the serious folk here .

mmmmmmmm     cherry pi

;D

bitternut

You guys are somthin else  :D  :D.

This tree appears to have grown like this all on its own. Its growing about 30' off the road about 3/4 of a mile from my woods. Last Sunday was the first time that I had seen it. I will have to look closer for other trees in the same area. The entire area is mostly wooded. I think I will look for some cherries under the tree also to see if maybe any offspring might exhibit the same tendancies. The trunk is pretty tall and straight but has a funny looking crook that can be seen up near the crown. Seems to be a healthy tree.

Mooseherder

Too bad that ain't yer tree!
I heard tell of some trees fetching a million dollars. :D

LeeB

Iffin you can collect seeds and get them to grow square trees you could possibly see $1M in it. :D LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Timburr

Grow to the required size, fell and put straight onto the planer!!  :D We need to curb the development of this type of tree, or all us sawmillers will be out of business smiley_crying
Sense is not common

asy

Not OUT of business, just in a DIFFERENT business!

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

mike_van

Because, as soon as square trees start growing everywhere, the customers will want ROUND lumber!  :D :D
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

leweee

:D

Square cherry trees only in New York state .....Pitty   ;D

Now what is the skwair root of Cherry Pi. :)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

SwampDonkey

That is a very interesting tree. Every once in awhile you see a tree that looks different. I posted a thread awhile back about the wooly spruce. It was a black spruce that was bushy with fine twigs at it's base, then near the top it started branching out proper. It was a wild tree, but it was on the Acadian Experimental Research Station in Noonan.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

crtreedude

Doncha know anything - you don't put the root in the cherry pi - only the cherries!
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Thank You Sponsors!