iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firewood season

Started by Bibbyman, October 08, 2006, 05:13:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

It's been perfect weather to be out cutting up some firewood.  We've got a pretty good start at it.  I told Mary - if we didn't get it sold, at least we'd be warm this winter.  We generally can heat our house with just cut-offs we collect from the mill.

Blockbuster 1412 and Terex in the background.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Larry

My elderly Arkansas neighbor has a big firewood yard.  He buys wholesale and sells retail...to old to do much work anymore.  Normal years he will run out of wood towards the end of the year.  This year he was sold out on September first and can't find anymore wood.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

SwampDonkey

Had mine since May, tossed it in the basement in August, nine cords.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mike_van

Here's hoping the dire winter predictions are as far off base as the dire hurricane ones were.   
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

beenthere

Quote from: mike_van on October 08, 2006, 06:12:54 PM
Here's hoping the dire winter predictions are as far off base as the dire hurricane ones were.   

You think they are sayin that Global Warming is going to backfire this winter  ??? ::) ::) ???

Predicting cold, or lots a snow?   ???
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Furby

Based on the way things have been here this year compared to the last several years.........
This winter is gonna be colder and more snow then we have been having.

Woodcarver

The last I heard from the prognosticators was that an El Nino was beginning to form and we might have a milder than average winter.  Seems to me we are overdue for a cold snowy winter, but I'd be happy to be wrong.
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Bibbyman

Quote from: SwampDonkey on October 08, 2006, 04:32:57 PM

Nine cords!? That'd last us for 3-4 years!  I must get cold up where you live.  Does you neighbors live in an igloos?  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Bibbyman on October 09, 2006, 04:24:35 AM

Nine cords!? That'd last us for 3-4 years!  It must get cold up where you live.  Does you neighbors live in an igloos?  :D

Pretty near, sometimes we don't even get snow, so's we have to haul ice blocks from the river fer the igloos.  Winter up here's pretty near 7 months ya know. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DWM II

WOW, NINE CORDS! We only burn fires down here because we like the way it smells! It kinda makes it feel like winter for us if we have a fire burnin. I wish yall luck this winter, I'll be thinking of you while i'm sawing in Jan.

Donnie
Stewardship Counts!

sawguy21

Swamp, some of these boys need an edurmucation in the art of winter living. We better ship some Canadian weather south 'bout mid January :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

PineNut

When I moved to Mississippi, I told everyone that I was going to a place where the temperature went down in the 20's, not up in the 20's.  I still enjoy it that way.

breederman

If you boys are gonna ship that Canadian weater south,make sure you put enough postage on it to get all the way down where they need it. We have enough of our own winter here. :D
Together we got this !

sawguy21

:D :D :D :D We will get right on that.

solodan

Quote from: Bibbyman on October 09, 2006, 04:24:35 AM
Quote from: SwampDonkey on October 08, 2006, 04:32:57 PM

Nine cords!? That'd last us for 3-4 years! I must get cold up where you live. Does you neighbors live in an igloos? :D

I think it depends on what percentage of your heat comes from wood. I heat my house 100% with wood and I go through about 6 or 7 cords(mostly pine and cedar, but some oak). It really doesn't get that cold here, but we get several hundred inches of  snow over 8 months out of the year, so it is cold enough.  It  rarley gets below 15 in the winter, but from september through june we are in the forties at some point during the day, so we need to keep a little warmer than that. Tonight I started a fire around 5:00 cause it is not that cold out, and I will just let it burn out around 9:00 oterwise I will have to open the windows. ;D

pineywoods

I started cutting my winter's supply sat. Cut a big old red oak that lightening had killed. It lodged in 2 other trees. Busted the winch on my tractor trying to pull it off, then bent the bar on my chainsaw on the second cut. About that time, a friend drove up with a big trailer load of split red oak, enough for all winter---where do you want me to pile this wood??? A little earlier would have saved me a bunch of trouble. I go through about 1 & 1/2 cords a winter. Daytime heat is about 90% wood with propane furnace for backup at night. I'm too lazy to get up and stoke the stove in the middle of the night. I'm seriously looking at an outdoor hot-water furnace.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

SwampDonkey

Quote from: pineywoods on October 10, 2006, 12:02:53 AM
I'm too lazy to get up and stoke the stove in the middle of the night. I'm seriously looking at an outdoor hot-water furnace.

:D :D :D Up here, you'd either perish from the cold or go broke from the oil or propane bill with that attitude. :D :D :D

Nothing beats wood heat. In the fall I can build a fire one day and never have to light it for 4 or 5 days again. Try that with oil and it will be cooled down again within an hour. The wood heats your walls and things and the oil heat doesn't seem to penetrate. ;)

pineywoods

I know about perishing from the cold. In my younger years, I spent some time on the prairies of montana. Not even a barbed wire fence between you and the north pole. doesn't get that cold here, although I have seen it down around zero F a few times. MY setup is fairly efficient, airtight iron stove on a ceramic tile floor and backed up against an internal brick wall. Get that brick wall warm and it does a good job of keeping the place toasty long after the fire has burned down. Propane bill runs $400 $500 a year, wood is free. ( well except for chainsaws, chains, gas, oil, a tractor to haul out the wood, barn to keep it in, etc). but then I had to have all that stuff to support my mill, right?
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

babylogger

9 cords isnt as much as you think. i ususlly have all my wood stacked and cut for the most part, but taking care of my mom and me getting sick ive already depleted the 2 cords i had here so if i stay here for the winter im probably looking at 13-15! the way i feel im doing it day by day. and thats a pain. we have an elevator to the dump truck to my parents wood shed, its still not full! i like the elevator but im afraid im gonna get my shirt caught in it. scares the heck out of me! and i dont like climbing in the back of the truck to stack it because im mortified of heights!  so if they do stick me up there my brother is the only one tall enough to get me down...and younger brothers getting their older sisters..well im sure yall can figure that one out! sorry didnt mean to hi jack the thread!
love logger

Sprucegum

I have 2 cords in the shed and another outside. Had a little snow flurry yesterday ... I need more wood!

The "Old Farmer's Almanac" says Alberta will be colder than normal and Saskatchewan will get more snow than normal - I live on the border - what will I get?

sawguy21

Snow up past yer keester and it'll be colder than a banker's heart, same as usual.  That is why I left. ;D

TW

Just out of curiosity: How much is a cord compared to cubic meter stacked.

OneWithWood

I think a cord = 2.4384 cu meters

A cord usually = 4feet x 4feet x 8feet

4 linear feet = 1.2192 meters  (unless we are talking a survey foot, but that is another story)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Sprucegum

A cord is 4x4x8  

A cubic meter is 3x3x3

so....where s that calculator?

TW

Thanks. that put the thing in it's correct proportion.

a cubic metre is 3'4" x 3'4" x 3'4" or thereabout.

20 -50 cubic metres (8-20 cords)per winter is common here for a small house.

The worst I know was an old man who had a big house with an even bigger workshop, all of it badly insulated. He wanted to have 100 cubic metres (42 cords) in store every autumn. The widow sold the house later bacause she could not heat it on her own.

It is too late to think about firewood now. It has to be cut one year in advance.

Thank You Sponsors!