iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bibbyman tries logging.

Started by Bibbyman, October 08, 2006, 05:07:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

It's been in our long-time plan to do some logging on our 215 acre farm.  We've wanted to "low-grade" out some of timber but just hadn't got around to doing much of it.  Last week we got after it.

Here are a few of the logs we got cut and drug out.  They are all black, willow, or swamp oak and were taken out of I'd say about 5 acres near our sawshed.  So far we've cut some 25-30 trees.

Here is one of the stumps - with a couple of knotheads!  It's about 2' across.  The girls counted back to 1982 when we built our house and made a circle with blue crayon.  Then they counted back to 1950 to the year I was born and made the circle in the middle about the size of a quarter.

Dad and Mom came down yesterday and Dad commented that he didn't think they'd be trees that big on the farm. (He had cut it over pretty hard before he sold it to me.)

I don't know how good I am at sawmilling but I know one thing,  I'm better at sawmilling than I an at logging.  :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Don K

Bibby, looks like you have got a farmi winch. I bet that makes it a lot better than my log tongs and chains I have to use. Gonna get me one of them one day. ;D
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

PawNature

Always enjoy you post Bibbyman. :)
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

Rob

Bibbyman ,

Dont want to critisize you felling method but from what I can see on that stump the face cut is a little small not a big deal see people do that all the time , but the two things I really noticed was there was no hinge wood left to control the fall of the tree which Im sure you know is a big no no , and second your back cut is too high .

You really want to have a little bigger face cut m definetly leave hinge to control tree Oak is hard to jugde sometimes , does'nt usually need alot of hinge wood somewhere between 2 or so inches depending . Your backcut should be no higher than 2 " above your face cut . Usually when Im cutting Oak I will only use the bore cut method as oak likes to split  or barberchair if it's a hard leaner .

Just thought I'd give my 2cents

Later Rob

Bibbyman

Thanks Rob. 

I've never logged enough to get good at it but I have done better than in the picture above. 

I've seen thousands of trees cut in all kinds of conditions so you'd think I'd pick something up from just watching.  In my younger years I logged with my Dad who was a Yoda master at felling trees.  I just ran the tractor and carried tools. He never made an effort to train me on how to fall trees.  I suspect he just figured I'd learn on my own - if I ever needed to fall one.

One thing I did pickup - when the tree starts to fall, have an exit route and safe place picked out and get there quick!    :o
Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

Here is the Farmi when it was mounted on our son's Belarus.  He quit logging so he sold the tractor.  We bought the Farmi.  I think it's a 351 model.

I didn't run it when Chris had it so I kind of had to learn how to use it.  It works pretty good on our AGCO.
Sawing since '94

thecfarm

That tractor looks too pretty to put in the woods.I really like my winch.Have fun.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

low_48

Rob,
I saw your comments on dropping the tree, proper hinging technique, etc.... and couldn't help but suggest this video. Seems just like the correct amount of hinging material was left. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09DerTnAWCM

I gotta stop wasting so much time on youtube :o

OneWithWood

Bibby,
Let me know if your milling enjoyment goes up some when you mill the trees you felled yourself.  I have yet to mill a log that I didn't harvest myself and I am learning a bunch about proper bucking  :D
Anyways, I'm just wondering.  ;)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

sawguy21

:o I was waiting for it to fall and smack her in the kisser when it rolled. Sheesh, some people's kids.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Bibbyman

Quote from: OneWithWood on October 09, 2006, 10:51:11 AM
Bibby,
Let me know if your milling enjoyment goes up some when you mill the trees you felled yourself.  I have yet to mill a log that I didn't harvest myself and I am learning a bunch about proper bucking  :D
Anyways, I'm just wondering.  ;)

Yea,  I enjoy sawing a lot more than logging.  :)

It'd be cheeper for me to buy logs than log my own.  But we're at a point where we have to have logs.  Got three loggers saying they're bringing logs.  Only had one load in the last month.  >:(  The one full-time logger is busy cutting veneer and stave logs.  When he gets covered up with top logs, he'll clean up his landing site and bring us some.  We're pretty far down on the hog trough.  :'(
Sawing since '94

Larry

Visiting at a big mill while back...they mentioned quite a few loggers still taking advantage of FEMA dollars in the hurricane areas.  It is interesting to see a mill capable of sawing 30 mbf a day with 10 mbf in the yard. :-\
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!