submarinesailor

Yes - But I grew up on nuclear powered submarines. :D :D :D

Bruce/subsailor

Furby

Don_Papenburg

Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

OneWithWood

Nuke plant = nuke waste dump somewhere

I once traveled through a pass in Colifornia on my way to Joshua Tree.  the pass was filled with hundreds of wind machines.  Reminded me of the plastic windmills we used to plant in the lawn when I was a kid younger.

It was actually quite serene and beautiful, like a Dali painting.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

woodnut

I'll go with the windmills as long as they don't go crazy with them. 1 bunch every 20 miles seems ok. I wouldn't want to hear a noisy one though.
Dan

Norwiscutter

How about those windmills out east that got the axe because they were going to ruin the view for the rich folks as they took their boats out to sea.  I got a person I do business with that was complaning about how he couldn't afford to drive up from Chicago anymore because of the gas prices to stay at his 5000 square foot summer home on the lake.  ::) 

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

PineNut

Saw a cartoon several years ago. Should have kept it but didn't. The activists youngster with a sign "No more Nukes" returned home and said "We made them close it down." He was speaking to his mother who sat there with a candle for light. Strange how so many people have that same mentality.

junkyard

I live about ten miles from the windmills at Lowville. I always think of dancers or sword fighters when I see them. They are emence (sp ) huge. It has been a large tourism draw for the last two years as they were being built. Many roads on the hill only saw a few hunters or loggers and snowsledders were as busy as the state highway as we all had to see what was going on. The tax advantages tothe Townships County and School have been tremendous. On Town ship had a budjet of a few hundred dollars now has three times the income that it had. The project owners have donated to several worthwhile causes.  Link to the windmills
     http://www.mapleridgewind.com/involved.htm
                         Junkyard
If it's free, It's for me. If for pay, leave it lay.

mometal77

Usually these windmills generate 2 megawatts of power.  Very cool but like my dad says you need wind.  I heard a guy had one on washingtons coast and was producing power for all his neighbors. He was generating about 150 kilowatts.  The pud came forward and said you shut down the mill and you can have power for life.  Guess what happened to the people around him.  I also heard another story from my readings on the web a guy in iowa built one and the county tried to tax him on the space in front of the propellers wind ect.. No joke.  My dad has a plant and they tried to put a meter on the thing and tax him for how much he was producing.  Talk about total control some of these idiots try and do. And they live in the city in little apartments where the solution is a phone call or a flip of the switch. 
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

leweee

just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Norwiscutter

Ok, being a scatter brain this windmill discussion got me researching which in turn has caused me to waste a good portion of my day.  My limited research has indicated a couple of things.

First of all Wind turbines are not cheap.

Second, although not cheap they will pay for themselves after 6-15 years of service.

Which leads me to the important question.  Any of you guys ever built a windmill or know someone who did?  I mean they can't be that complicated can they?  If a guy can build his own sawmill you would think he could figure out how to build a wind turbine couldn't he?
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Onthesauk

I think someone here posted this link a month or two ago.  I saved it and dug around a bit.  These guys are really serious about it and seem to know what they are doing.

http://www.otherpower.com/
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

junkyard

I built a Savonious rotor from three thirty gallon drums. never didfigure out the controls to automaticaly turn on and off the alternator when the wind started and stopped. so it ended up in the junk. It had a lot of power but turned real slow. Lower bearing was a front hub from a old Rambler with wheel and tire. Belt drive from tire to altenator.
                   Junkyard
If it's free, It's for me. If for pay, leave it lay.

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

submarinesailor

In some of my more recent readings, I remember reading several articles about the newer wind mills.  The airfoils are much more efficient, much quieter and by turning slower you have much less bird and bat strikes.

Bruce

SwampDonkey

This is the scene on the hill after this week.

Two mills are erected on the far right and a third one to their left has the turbine up.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Coon

Who can afford the utilty bills these days?  Not me, that's for sure.   ??? :P

I was reading a guide book on solar energy the other night.  I came across a section on small wind generators.  With this guide I also have an old pricing list for the solar and wind generator systems.  The list has the Canadian prices for the year 2000.

The complete kits for these wind generators are or seem to be affordable.

Rutland 913   rated power- 90 watts @32 kph (22mph)
                         Blade Diam.-  91 cm  (36 in.)
                         Weight-          13 kg (28.6 lbs.)

Price- $1295.00 Cdn

Windseeker 503 :  Features high density magnets for improved power output, a self furling mechanism to protect the wind generator in high winds, a built in charge regulator, and a durable powder coated finish.  Start-up speed is as low as 12 kph (7.4 mph).  It has a balanced three blade rotor for smooth and quiet operation and mounts on a 2" Shedule 40 pipe.  12 and 24 volt models available.  Two year warranty.               Rated Power- 500 watts @ 45 kph (28 mph)
                              Blade Diam.-  153 cm (60 in.)
                              Weight-          9.1 kg (20 lbs)

Price- $1945 Cdn

These kits and prices could allow one to generate enough power for himself very easily.  If any of you would like more info I have the resources to get you started.

Brad.

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

buck5611

Since march 2006, I work for G.E. as a technical advisor on 1.5 mgw wind turbine construction project. I worked in Oregon and in Alberta. These were 80 meters tower. Of course, promotor do lot of wind testing before deciding where to install them. They cost more than one million a piece ans are huge. Blade length 37 meter. Nacelle weight(including generator and transmission)  is about 115000 pounds. Lots of electronic. it is said that in US one will generate a profit of more than $200000. annually. And pollution is zero. In Alberta on some site, after installation is done all the road are retuned to field and grass go to the base of tower. In Tehachappi California there are more than 4000 of them. This summer I was at the office with 8 turbine running by a 25 km/h wind and all of them in a 300 ft range and all together they made less noise than just one fan that my neighbor has in its farm wich is 300 ft from my house. I hope that New Brunswick will go with wind  for its green energy and maybe I can go work there.

Riles

Hmmm. $1295 Cdn for a 90 watt generator. That would power a 60 watt light bulb with enough leftover for half your neighbor's bulb. 'Course with the wind blowing at 22 mph, maybe you should save it for the heater this winter. I guess the alternative would be to start your own wind farm. 40 of them around the yard ought to cover most of your load.  ;)
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Mooseherder

SwampDonkey

I noticed today that some of the finished mills are turning. There is a 30 MPH wind or so. They aren't turning very fast, it's snail's pace. Suppose to get up to 60 MPH wind tonight. I think they have another 18 or so to erect from what I can see. Certainly not going to be done the end of the month as predicted. Beginning to rain now.

Danny_S

I have been trying to keep an eye on the progress as well. We were planning a hike up there last weekend but fell through due to lack of a babysitter. They sure are massive. Gets my motor going again to build my own, like the ones on otherpower.com. Now that I operate a plasma cutter I could very easily cut out the parts for the rotors and such. Was speaking with my uncle tonight that has a nice woodworking shop, he would like to help build a couple of windmill blades. Pretty cool stuff indeed.

And yes, I am still alive, just not online much with dialup..ughh!
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

SwampDonkey

Danny, all I got is dialup to. I can look up at'em from my woodlot or on the drive up from the house.  8)

Danny_S

I am going to have to look you up sometime, get together for a coffee. I am in Simonds now near Bubar's truck junk yard if you know where that is. 10 - 15 mins would put me in Centerville.
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

Thank You Sponsors!