iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

3 Hour luncheon......

Started by CHARLIE, October 04, 2006, 11:02:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CHARLIE

To my surprise there is now another New Richmond, Wisconsin forum member! 8) DomR and I decided to meet at 12:00 noon for lunch at a local restaurant in town. It was a great lunch and we talked...........and talked............and talked............until I noticed that we were the only patrons in the once full restaurant and the waitresses had sat down at a booth to talk.  So, we paid our bill and walked out to the parking lot and talked......and talked until I noticed our vehicles were the only ones left in the parking lot. ;D  We were finally able to say goodbye and agree to meet again in the near future.  It was 3:00 pm.  DanG that was fun!  DomR is sure a busy and very interesting man with a good head on his shoulders.  It just made a perfect day better.  After storms last night we had clear blue skies with a mild breeze and a high of 64° F. 8) 
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Tom

Well, Charlie, you're finally retired.   A 3 hour dinner has got to be a good measure of that. :D

CHARLIE

Yup, that's one of the priviledges of retirement. ;D  I'm in charge of my own time and in charge of the house! Until Donna gets home. :o :D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

pigman

Charlie, did you have cake with candles on it for dessert since it is DomR's birthday.
8)
Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

CHARLIE

Well DanG it! No we didn't.  I didn't even know it was his birthday. Shucks...... ::)
Charlie

DomR

Charlie thanks for a wonderful lunch.  I don't like to acknowledge my own birthday until after it's over so I quietly acquiesed  and let you buy knowing that we would have to meet again so I could repay you.  I also told the guys back at my shop they needed to get the place cleaned up so I could get you out there without risk of injury.  It is only 20 x 38 and DanG do I have a lot of stuff in there.  CNC Knee mill,CNC plasma table, 3 welders, lathe, 2 metal bandsaws, chop saw,3 air compressors, welding tables, 2 drill presses and then the little stuff too.  All on wheels and you have to move stuff sometimes just to turn around. 
Anyway, It was nice getting your insights into some of my projects. I'll get my website to you soon.
life is a merry go round and I'm getting dizzy

PawNature

I once took a 3 hr lunch break. I don't have that job anymore.
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

Cedarman

It's no fun being a forum member if you can't take a long break for lunch or just a long break when a fellow member stops by.  It is a lot of fun sharing with like minded and even those not like minded.  Do you notice how the food just disappears and you don't remember too much of eating it.  Too busy enjoying the conversation. :D :D
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Burlkraft

So Charlie......what we really want ta know is where ya went and what ya had fer lunch ;D ;D

I can't believe that ya left that out....Tom doesn't :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

CHARLIE

Well, I can take 3 hour lunches anytime I want to.  I'm retired. 8) 

Burlkraft, we ate at a place called Old Suzanna's that is on the main drag. I had the Old Suzanna Burger with a side of fries.  DomR had the chili special that came in a bowl made from bread. We washed it down with cup after cup of coffee with a lot of black in it. ;D  They don't have any grits there..........I checked that out already.
Charlie

Bothy_Loon

Did not think you could get away from the lathe for 3 hr lunches. Good on you both.

I am practising for this retirment lark just now.
MD found out I had been falling over with this back problem & decided I was a liability so he sent me home over a week ago. Have not heard from anyone since. I supose as long as they pay me I might as well enjoy!
Been to the doc & I am told my spine is twisted. Always have been told I am a twister!
Bothy Loon

Tom

I think I would stay in touch with them anyway.

It may be their way of showing appreciation for good service.

In the USA, when companies want to get rid of someone, especially since the advent of Human Resorces Departments, they might  let someone have time off and then fire them for Job abandonment.  It's a way of getting rid of folks that are close to retirement. 

If it were me, I wouldn't trust the company I worked for any further than I could throw my truck.  Most, today, are run by the accountants and they are only interested in a bottom line.  People don't really count, regardless of the propaganda they try to cram down your throat.

thurlow

Tom, I wish you wouldn't beat around the bush; what do you really think about corporations, businesses, companies, etc? ;D
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

SwampDonkey

Kind of in line with what I've been telling people about retirement income/funds. Don't trust no company to hold your money, put it in your own bank account, fire proof safe, or tin can in the out house. I seen lots of papermills go poof and no more retirement pension fund.  ::) Oh, I know it all looks like a good deal at the time. They match your contribution dollar for dollar, but they can't afford that for ever and when they get into financial trouble that fund helps finance the company and can take years for it to recoup if ever.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

JimBuis

Charlie,
Congratulations on the nice luncheon and a hearty hello to DomR.  Talking about luncheons the same as talking about food and we like food here on the forum!!

Quote from: SwampDonkey on October 09, 2006, 04:53:56 PM
Kind of in line with what I've been telling people about retirement income/funds. Don't trust no company to hold your money, put it in your own bank account, fire proof safe, or tin can in the out house. I seen lots of papermills go poof and no more retirement pension fund.  ::) Oh, I know it all looks like a good deal at the time. They match your contribution dollar for dollar, but they can't afford that for ever and when they get into financial trouble that fund helps finance the company and can take years for it to recoup if ever.

Tom and SwampDonkey, what you've said is precisely why I withdrew all of my "Thrift Savings Plan"/Individual Retirement Account (IRA) money from the U.S. federal government when I quit a few years ago and opened up my own IRA.  At least this way, I don't have to worry about congress changing the retirement laws and somehow taking my money.

In my as always humble opinion,
Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

Cedarman

Years ago they made it illegal to own gold, you had to turn it in to the government. Then after the government got all the gold they could, what happened?  They changed the rules and let the price of gold get off its $35.00 per ounce  price. Gold soared through the roof.  Who benefited from that rotten deal?  Who benefits from illegal immigration and who is hurt?  Dry up the supply of cheap labor and the vast majority of employees that do the dirty work in this country will be in line for a big raise because of the labor shortage.

Tom, you are just awful to make me talk this way. :D :D  Well, didn't you start it?  :D :D
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Burlkraft

Wow....I would trust my boss.....he's a great guy.....

I've been off for over a year now and the checks just keep comin'  :D :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

oldsaw

Quote from: Burlkraft on October 10, 2006, 09:17:35 AM
Wow....I would trust my boss.....he's a great guy.....

I've been off for over a year now and the checks just keep comin'  :D :D :D

I've got a great boss now, but 5 years from now, I'll have one I know and trust even better...and that takes a bit...me.  Scary, but kind of cool when you get down to it.

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

CHARLIE

Tom told me once that he has the best boss he's ever had, but he doesn't give him much time off, no paid vacation, no paid sick days, no awards, no milage compensation, no medical insurance and no retirement fund and the pay ain't always the best.  But, for some reason he loves his boss and would do dang near anything for him.:o

I'm sitting here grinning 'cause this thread has taken a 90° turn and it ain't about food. :D
Charlie

DomR

CHARLIE- I told the waitress one day while I was taking a late lunch that if my boss didn't back off me and him were going to get into it one day.  She asked who I worked for and I answered "myself".  The I said " If you see me with my face all swollen and my knuckles bleeding you'll know we got into it.  It took her a while but she caught on.
And the rest of you should know I had just had a double hernia repaired before that 3 hr lunch so CHARLIE was being kind.  It about took me that long to get in and out of the place.
Dom

SwampDonkey

Glad your hernia operation went well.

Charlie, do ya think it may have affected his appetite any? ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

CHARLIE

SwampDonkey, DomR held his own with the food. I think he out drank me on the coffee though and I didn't think anyone could ever do that. ;D 

DomR, I didn't think you were moving slow. Heck, that's the speed I always move. 8) 
Charlie

DomR

SwampDonkey no problems with appetite but the swelling is something else.
Still having problems with that.  I can work about 3-4 hrs before I need ice.  Anyone who has had hernias fixed can relate.  While I've been off I had 3 "friends" working trying to get projects done at the steel shop.  I had to let them go last week as they were costing me more in broken tools and bad parts than they were making.  One of them actually said thats"the cost of doing business" .  I told him I could teach a monkey to do the job but I couldn't teach a monkey to care about the job and that he wasn't far away on the evolutionary ladder.  We are all still friends just not employees anymore.  Whatever I can do in 4 easy hrs isn't that much less than they were doing in a full day combined.
It's too bad.
DomR

SwampDonkey

That's why I don't supply thinning saws. What didn't get sold, would be broke up in no time. There isn't much of a profit margin in this business, so I ain't taken my profits to furnish saws and keep them repaired.  ::)

Thank You Sponsors!