iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Small amount of firewood question?

Started by Daren, October 04, 2006, 10:22:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daren

I didn't know where to ask, I figure is this is the wrong place it will be put in the proper forum. I have a little mill and heat my woodworking shop with mill slab and stuff I buck to get a sawlog. Well, the pile is getting pretty big I can't use it all. I need to get some things cleaned up around here. I am going to load a small trailer for guys like me who don't need much wood at a time and put it by the road with a for sale sign on it, let them haul it off and bring back the trailer and I'll filler up again.

It was early morning when I took the picture, it is a 4'X8' utility trailer with a 12" high stakeside. The 4x8x1 part is stacked pretty tight and I threw some more on top to balance the load, but the trailer is wimpy (2000lbs) so I didn't overload it too much.

The wood is 75% oak, the rest is mostly cherry and hickory and a little walnut. I cut it and stacked it last winter/this spring.

I don't know what fraction of a cord that is, I'm guessing 1/4 cord, or what a cord of firewood even goes for in Illinois would be my real question.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

beenthere

Put a sign on it "$75". With what you have, that'd be about $200+ a cord. For someone who doesn't have to buck, split, and find a trailer to haul their wood, that should be a bargain. May even start with $100 and see if that works. Maybe Curly next door will buy it.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Daren

Quote from: beenthere on October 04, 2006, 10:49:38 AM
Maye Curly next door will buy it.  :)

Ouch  :D, Probably not... he has plenty of curly elm and quilted rock maple split and dried for this season  ::)

mike_van

Make sure the sign says "trailer not included" 'cause some clown will think it's a package deal  :D     Past experience says, if you put 75.00, they'll offer 50.00.  if you put 50.00, the offer will be 25.00, so, take it from there -
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

sawguy21

I would deck it by the road so the trailer does not find a new home too. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Daren

Quote from: sawguy21 on October 04, 2006, 01:23:50 PM
I would deck it by the road so the trailer does not find a new home too. ;D

You guys have to know how things work around here, filling it up with fire wood is the only way I can keep it in the yard. When it is empty everytime I look out the window one of my buddies is hooked on to it to borrow it for a couple days. They are too lazy to unload the wood   ;), they will go borrow someone elses trailer now. :D

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

rebocardo

I think $50 would be fair, though do not be surprised if someone rents your trailer for the cost of the firewood. I think there would be a HUGE liability if they got in an accident with the trailer or a piece of wood fell off. Including backing the trailer into someone else's property. I do not think I would do it, things do not work like they did 50 years ago when common sense ruled instead of lawyers.

Dan_Shade

if you're just looking to get rid of it, contact a local church and see if there's a little old lady that could use it :)

able bodied people could come help you get it.

if you want a few bucks, list it as a donation on your taxes (can you do that?)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Tom

Those little old community churchs are as bad as the individuals who want firewood or vegetables or fish.  Long as you harvest it, prepare it deliver it wrapped, they'll take it off of your hands. 

I was asked, by a concerned fellow, to donate some wood to a church for firewood.  That would be the only heat they had that winter.  I told them Sure, you're welcome to all the slabs you can carry, anytime you want them.

They never showed up.

Alphonso

Dan_Shade

you're right, Tom, but there are elderly people that can use the help.  I wouldn't donate "to the church" there are able bodied people there who could help out.

I like to filter my charity :)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Daren

Quote from: rebocardo on October 05, 2006, 09:17:01 PM
I think $50 would be fair, though do not be surprised if someone rents your trailer for the cost of the firewood. I think there would be a HUGE liability if they got in an accident with the trailer or a piece of wood fell off.

This is the sign on the trailer. At least I am getting $50 rent  :D, like I said is is usually loaned out anyway for free. I am not going to let anyone from out of town haul it off, they have to load it onto thier own trailer/truck, I mean the trailer is not even licensed (which has not stopped the chief of police from using it 1/2 dozen times, things are different around here) and it is overloaded

Quote from: Tom on October 05, 2006, 09:28:43 PM
I told them Sure, you're welcome to all the slabs you can carry, anytime you want them.

I have a steady pile of full slabs near the road in the back yard that is free firewood for anyone who wants it, it's just not cut up. I even load them on a trailer with the skidsteer for people if I am around when they come by. I was stacking the stuff that is now in the trailer for my own use, the pile just got bigger than I will use in a couple years (and there is always more where that came from ;)) The reason I am asking any $ from it is because I have some time in cutting it to length/ splitting what I have bucked, but that's not the only reason. I do give it away to my neighbors/people I know for camping wood/weiner roast wood, whatever. I don't care about the money. But if I give away the firewood that is cut to size...nobody will take the slabs out back ::), know what I mean? I am trying to get rid of both, take the slabs for free or get stuff that is ready to burn $.

I am unfortunatly not going to make my furtune by selling 2-3 cords of firewood, just trying to do some cleanup around here and wondered what a fair price would be if I stuck a couple loads out front. That's all, I didn't want to look silly by putting too high a price on it, but I'm not in the firewood business so I didn't know.

rebocardo

I love that sign!  :D

I think the $50 is a good deal and fair and will appeal to someone. The only way you could make it easier is to drive it over and unload it.

macpower

A few years back, I stacked about 3/4 cord of 4ft oak and maple by the road with a "Free Wood, You Haul It" sigh on it. It sat there for weeks, only taker I got was someone who wanted me to buck it up 16 inches for them! I ran an ad in the local paper for it at $25 and it was gone the day the paper came out! The guy who bought it was a neighbor who must have drove by it a dozen times!
Now when I've got  a pile of firewood to  get rid off, I give the local selectmen a call and they find someone who really needs it,and I'll cut it and split it for then.
Purveyor of Stihl chain saws.
Thomas 6013 Band Mill, Kubota L3400DT, Fransgard V3004, 2 lazy horses and a red heeler

Daren

Quote from: macpower on October 10, 2006, 07:23:14 PM
I give the local selectmen a call and they find someone who really needs it,and I'll cut it and split it for then.

That is a cool new word to me "selectmen", I have a decent English vocabulary (can't spell 1/2 the words I know what they mean though, oh well, glad I speak more than I write/type) What is a selectman, I would use it in conversation if I knew what it meant maybe.

pigman

Daren, he defined selectmen for us. Selectmen are the people that select who gets the free firewood. ;D
Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Daren

Quote from: pigman on October 10, 2006, 10:38:52 PM
Daren, he defined selectmen for us. Selectmen are the people that select who gets the free firewood. ;D
Bob

OK, I guess I should avoid selectmen. I have no free firewood :-X, still a cool new word.

beenthere

Daren, glad you asked. I be wonderin too.  :)

Pigman to the rescue again......... :D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

macpower

Selectman, the title of  an elected town official in many New England small towns. The board of selectmen would be the governing body of the town. Among their duties would be "overseer of the poor". This is a form of government that goes back a few hundred years here.
Purveyor of Stihl chain saws.
Thomas 6013 Band Mill, Kubota L3400DT, Fransgard V3004, 2 lazy horses and a red heeler

Daren

Quote from: macpower on October 11, 2006, 06:50:50 AM
Selectman, the title of  an elected town official

Thanks for the definition  :P. I have a new word, even though I can't think of a way to use it. Weren't "The Beatles" called "The Selectmen" at one time  :D

Thank You Sponsors!