iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Two technologies in one vacuum kiln

Started by serg, October 03, 2006, 10:52:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

serg

Hello the American friends!

I have learned the Russian vacuum drying kilnĀ  to dry a board thickness of 4 mm - 8 mm an acacia, an oak, an ash, a pine. Then in the vacuum kiln I make processing in temperature. Color varies, the acacia becomes black, water does not absorb. This acacia has lain 4 hours in water. The black straight line, white dry has taken water, there is a bend, an arch. A conclusion : after processing in temperature it is possible to use in places with contact of direct water.
In America, what drying kiln makes such technology? I can find out from you the reference of a site, the price of such dryer?
Sergey.

Don_Lewis

Why would anyone dry such thin material in a vacuum kiln? It dries very quickly, in a conventional dryer

Den Socling

Not all species, Don. We have a kiln in NZ that dries E. delegatensis, red beech, red gum and spotted gum (also Eucalyptus species) veneer and lamella. All are difficult or impossible to dry in conventional steam or DH kilns. Two more kilns are headed down-under to dry the same.

serg

Don I did(made) this technology of drying under the order lamelli. There who has dryer many problems on humidity, huge disorder.
Den understands me. 
I am farther to reach(achieve) temperature of 200 degrees C, the tree accepts high parameters water of direct contact allocates(removes). Usual drying of such effect does not give.
I have a question what drying chamber can dry and do(make) 200 degrees C for change of physical parameters of a tree? :P
Two technologies in one vacuum drying chamber? ???
Sergey.

Den Socling

Hi Sergey,

I decided to spend a few minutes re-reading this thread. First of all, 200'C!!! That's hot and that is trouble. I wouldn't consider it. Now, about this stuff we are drying in New Zealand and Australia. It's really hard to get water out so it's really hard for water to get back in. The guy who bought the first kiln is making flooring that is lamilla on a non-wood substrate. He says it can be used in wet locations. I soaked a piece in a bucket of water and it took about 3 days for the wood to begin to swell. This guy is now selling our kilns with the rights to copy his flooring. So, I wouldn't spend too much time trying to make wood water resistant by baking it at 200'C.  ;)

Den

crtreedude

Hi Den,

The reason people are toasting the wood like this under vacuum is to produce premium wood out of poor quality stuff. Generally speaking, wood that is resistant to weather is more expensive than junk wood - also, by using heat, I am told that they can cause immature wood to behave like old growth.

Not sure I believe all the hype - but it was interesting.

It does point to something that I am seeing all over Costa Rica - the availability of good wood is becoming scarce.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

beenthere

Quote from: crtreedude on October 04, 2006, 06:16:54 PM
.........The reason people are toasting the wood like this under vacuum is to produce premium wood out of poor quality stuff. Generally speaking, wood that is resistant to weather is more expensive than junk wood - also, by using heat, I am told that they can cause immature wood to behave like old growth.

Who is saying these things?   ???
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

crtreedude

Honestly Beenthere, I can't say - the people who told me have built a very large (and expensive) unit to achieve this - and are selling to some very big players.

They were asking for my help in getting poor quality wood which they would then process and sell as premium.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Den Socling

The problem is that the best of the easy-to-dry species are being used up. The solution is utilizing species that are abundant because they are difficult to dry.

serg

Thank for interesting discussion.
I shall do(make) it of wood of the second grade. Good wood to heat up to 200 degrees is not present. Russia is not present exotic trees, there is a demand for an ebony which pushes away water. To processing in temperature there is a causticity, fragility. She(it) works on compression and pushing away water.
Such wood will go on a floor, a bathroom, a tree in the street, the window block, furnish of separate elements of a decor.
I think that, this technology will receive good development.
Sergey.

Thank You Sponsors!