iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

boy, I hate 3 x 12's - especially 16 footers

Started by mike_van, October 02, 2006, 02:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_van

The photo just dosen't do justice to all the labor that went into these - 17  3x12's all but a few are 16' , and 28 1 1/2 x 8" & 10's, most all 16'.  Trailer decking for a friend of mine, most is red oak, some white. Huge logs he brought, 17 - 18 footers, 2'dia  a few 18".  I can't carry these, I'd get a few on the mill & pick 'em out with the tractor. One I couldn't turn, had to stick a chain on it and roll & lift at the same time with the tractor.  I'm sooo sorry I won't be able to help unload these when he gets home with them -   :D   
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

brdmkr

I can hardly imagine :o.  I recently cut some 20' 2x6s from red oak for trailer decking.  We were able to back a car hauler up to the end of the log and slide the board off and onto the trailer without having to lift the board.  I'll bet those 3x12s were some kind of heavy!
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Murf

Quote from: mike_van on October 02, 2006, 02:53:43 PM
Trailer decking for a friend of mine, most is red oak, some white.

Is he gonna have any load capacity left after he adds all that wood weight to the trailer??  :D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

bad_boards

maybe y`all need a bigger b`fast?
some cheese grits and bacon would do the trick

beenthere

Mike_Van
Just need something in that pic to get the true perspective of how big those board REALLY are.  ;D

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mike_van

Murf, you should see his truck - I should have got a pic of it when he came with all the logs, i'll get it for sure when he gets the lumber - It's an old Mack, a B 61 I think, with about a 25' flatbed 5th wheel trailer - He hauls a D-8 with it. He's restored the truck, it just glows - I remember when the old deisels smelled like a kerosene lamp burning - his does - not the whatever it is they smell like today.  I think the 3x8's are 240 lbs each? if I did the math right?                                                                         Bad Boards - all the bacon [and I love bacon] won't help much there!

mike_van

beenthere - thanks - you made my day -  :D :D

tcsmpsi

I'm sooo sorry I won't be able to help unload these when he gets home with them -   :D   

Now, I just can't imagine you not being neighborly with a friend and all and offering to go and unload those for him...'specially since you got 'sperience with them.   ;D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Don P

I sawed a RO mantle for a job several months ago from memory, made it 4.5"x 15" x7'. Got out there today and the thing is supposed to be 4" thick  ::). I've been carrying it around and round the planer for the past hour. I think I lost an inch while it was losing a half.

Raphael

I'm sooo sorry I won't be able to help unload these when he gets home with them -   :D

Sounds like I'd better look elsewhere for assistance getting the 750# bandsaw off the bed of my truck... ;)
  Is that the Mack parked out by Tanner's?
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

mike_van

I don't think so Rafe, he lives  down in Northville.  For the bandsaw, lets see ...... You could hang a block in a tree, pull the fall line with ?  the family car? 

Ed_K

I have some extra 10' case rollers to move that stuff off the saw. I will be looking forward to picts of the truck. I want an antique truck to drive logs & lumber around real bad. Couple of logs just to drive around town  ;D .
Ed K

footer

A few months ago, I cut up a 17' red oak. I got 9 - 2 1/4 X 26" X 17' boards from it after I had it squared up a bit. Now thhose are some heavy boards. I'll try and get some pics of them on here.

Murf

Mike, I love those old trucks.  8)

BTW, the smell is because they didn't have very efficient combustion by today's standards, and they leaked a bit, so both ends of the truck smelled like raw diesel fuel.  ::)
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

mike_van

Murf, a picture of Rob's Mack - It's a '59  B61, he keeps it looking like new -

J_T

Nice boards and nice truck  8) You know it takes three hands to drive one of those ???
Jim Holloway

Raphael

Quote from: mike_van on October 14, 2006, 08:22:07 PM
Murf, a picture of Rob's Mack - It's a '59  B61, he keeps it looking like new

She's a beauty...  The one up by Tanner's is similiar vintage and condition only in green and black.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Thank You Sponsors!