iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I went and did it.....

Started by Mr Mom, October 02, 2006, 10:06:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Mom

Went and bought steel to build a mill and other part are on order.
     Some people think that i am nuts for building a mill.
     No pictures yet and there will be some later when i start to build.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom.

Modat22

I'm looking forward to seeing the build photos
remember man that thy are dust.

brdmkr

Quote from: Modat22 on October 02, 2006, 10:27:25 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing the build photos

Same here.  I am sure that building a mill is well beyond my abilities, but I really ejoy watching the process of others 8)
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

solodan

Mr Mom

Well thanks guys it looks like it will be a trip that i will not forget.

Well i have not cut a thing yet and ran into a problem with the design of the mill >:( >:( >:(. Now it is just a little design flaw but i am one that has to have everything just right.

Designing the mill is alot harder than i thought. Only a couple of thing to find out.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom.

Part_Timer

I have a friend that built one.  The best part for him was that you can take the strongest points of all of them and leave the weakest ones behind.

have fun
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Dan_Shade

what sort of design are you using?

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Mr Mom

Dan_Shade...My design is so screwed up that i cant tell you :o :o :o. I am just going to make a box type carrage or some would call 4 post system.
     I thought about a two post system but could not find the right combination for the feet (leg that ran on the track) and the hight of the mill mast(the steel that holds the motor and band wheels) Had alot of different sizes for both pices But didnt like the way it looked on paper. Had the legs at 4'long and the mast at 5' high then looked at all the wasted space and extra steel that didnt look right.
     Now i got it all worked for now ;D ;D ;D. Should be fun.
     Need a few more pices and that is it then i can build it.
     The color is going to be the old CAT yellow.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

Tom

In your planning, if you think you will cut oversized logs, consider this.

Even though you can get over the top of a big log with the blade, you still usually hit the sides with the stanchions on the mill.  I never understood why they had to be straight over the rails.

Bibbyman

Please don't forget about shielding around belts, chains, and other appendage cutter-offers.  And especially around the blade. 

yikes_smiley hurt_smiley
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

mike_van

Mr. Mom - I'll get some pics of mine later - It's different, I gotta go to jury duty today, so it'll be later on -
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Mr Mom

Tom...Good point. I dont think that i will be doing to much oversized stuff. My mill will have a opening that is 4'wide and 5' high. That is the opening inside between the post. Dont want to turn too many logs that are 48"dia buy my-self ::) ::) ::).
     Most of my logs are not much bigger than 18"dia but i made the mill bigger for the big freebes.
     Thanks for the food for thought.
     Bibbyman...You are right on that one. Nothing going to start to spin until all guards are made and on the mill.
     Mike_Van...Cant wait for the pictures. Sorry that you have jury duty today.

Any help with the design is welcome. As the metal has not been cut to size yet but this week it meets the saw.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

Modat22

Mr Mom. I made my mill to handle 48" wide x 50" tall stuff knowing that I had no way to load stuff that big. Since I've been done, I've caused more damage to myself and the mill trying to load 48" stuff in a non conventional way.

Be careful about the size you build the mill, You will try to cut the big stuff even though You can't handle the big stuff. Its a part of human nature  ;D
remember man that thy are dust.

Mr Mom

Modat22...The reason that i use the 48" wide is that i dont want it to tip to easy. I dont do things that i dont think i can do. I dont heal as fast as i use to.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

Dan_Shade

a general observation I have is to attempt to make it where you can change belts where at all possible without having to remove your bandwheels.  getting them aligned can be a real pain.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

mike_van

Mr. Mom, jury duty was a breeze - we were all done at 10 AM, two cases settled out of court. Here's a photo showing most of my mill head.  The biggest flaw with the design is there's only 7" above the blade to the frame. You can't do real quartersawing where you cut the log in half, then the halves in half. Other than that, it's pretty tough. The mid channels [the ones in the way for QSing]  hold the motor mount and the bandwheel pillow blocks, there's no flex there. The band wheel bearings are 1" pillow blocks, some will say you need 2" plus, but mine have held up for 15 years. I have next to no room between the PB's and wheels, that may help, no room to flex or twist. Wheels are 24", the right side is tensioned by a die spring. There's more pics I put in my gallery, if you want a larger one, just ask, glad to email it to you.

I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

KamHillbilly

I'll be following this one ,as I have most of my material for my saw head assembly , still looking for material for my rails and log loader.post lots of pics MrMom
Homemade Bandmill ,Clark 664b ,Case 780b ,Jonsered 670,630

KamHillbilly

Quote from: Tom on October 02, 2006, 11:22:20 PM

In your planning, if you think you will cut oversized logs, consider this.

Even though you can get over the top of a big log with the blade, you still usually hit the sides with the stanchions on the mill.  I never understood why they had to be straight over the rails.
Wish we still had that problem around here only a few White pine that big left ,but great thought Tom

beenthere

KamHillbilly
Where is "around here"  ???
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

KamHillbilly

Quote from: beenthere on October 03, 2006, 05:24:09 PM
KamHillbilly
Where is "around here"  ???
Kaministiquia Ontario just outside Thunder Bay

thecfarm

Make your track long.I have a manual mill that can cut 20 foot logs,never have.Makes it real easy to cut 16 footers.I have 2 feet on each end of the mill to play with.Or 1 foot on one end and 3 feet on the other or whatever.Doesn't have to be exact in the middle.Just roll it on and start to cut.Never had to move a long a few inches because I could not cut the length.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Mr Mom

Mike_Van...Thanks fore the pictures they help alot.

Kamhillbilly...I will post alot of pictures when i start.

Thecfarm...I was looking to build a long track about 20' or 30'. My friend said that i should go fore 50' :o :o :o.

Went out today and started to clean a spot to build the mill in my very tiny shed.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

wiam

Things I would do different if I was going to build another.    Put the pillow blocks on the bottom of the frame to be able to cut a thicker peice off the cant.  Put a power feed on sooner.  Use a horizontal shaft engine.  I had a vertical and use a twisted belt.  It works but limits my options.  I used threaded rod for tension.  I would think about a different tension system.  I can fit 42" between the posts.  I think that is big enough.  I am not sure my mill frame would take more.

Will

Mr Mom

After looking throught 32 pages i found my old post about building my mill and i have started. Will get pictures today if mama lets me.
     Mama had her galbladder out on sunday and is doing fine. Cant get alot done outside because she cant bend over to good. I have to help her get the new baby every time he wants to eat.
     I do know one thing is that we talk alot on this forum.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

Thank You Sponsors!