iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OK,,whos the mechanic in this group

Started by bedway, June 05, 2007, 08:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bedway

Ive completed building the suspension under my mill. The two leaf springs i used were from a jeep. I have two extra springs left from the jeep. I want to take the one main leaf from each of the extra springs and add them to the springs on my mill. Never have i worked on leaf springs before, and some insight from someone who has would be appreciated. Over the weekend i pulled the mill out side and gave it a test run. Other than a few minor problems it worked great. My wife swears im still grinning two days later. ;D I put a few more photos in my gallery showing my clamp set up etc. The remains of the log is still clamped on the log bed because it started to rain and i had to get it put away. I have a lot of work left to do, but it sure felt great to see the fruits of my labor,,bedway

pineywoods

If you're talking about main leaf, you'd have to cut the ends off, not a good idea. use the second leaf out of your spare springs. Just break off the bolt that holds the stack of leaves togather, put two number two leaves in your spring and use a new bolt to tie it all back togather. This is a special bolt, go to parts house and ask for a spring tie bolt. I have done this many times on pickup trucks, never had a problem.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

two saw

bedway, I have done spring packs alot on the mud trucks we have built and the above reply is correct but I wanted to add one more thing. put the new bolt through the pack of leaves. don't try to collapse the pack with the bolt. use a big "C" clamp to do it as I seem to strip the bolt all the time trying to use it to pull the pack back together. put the pack on the floor on it's side so as to keep all  the leaves parallel to one another. squeeze the springs together with the "C" clamp with the new bolt through them. tighten the bolt after the springs are back together and remove the "C" clamp and your done. Always worked well for me.
hope this helps.
Twosaw.
D&L TS 36 DTH twin saw

sawmilllawyer

Bedway, if you have a commerical trailer parts supply you can purchase the spring bolts for little money.There is also a metal band that you hammer on the end of some spring packs in addition to the spring bolt that holds them together. Nice looking home built mill. Andy
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

jrokusek

Quote from: bedway on June 05, 2007, 08:05:44 PM
........ My wife swears im still grinning two days later. ;D ............ it sure felt great to see the fruits of my labor..........

It takes way more than 2 days for that grin to wear off!  Congratulations!  I've enjoyed watching you build your mill.  Have fun with it.

Jim

bedway

Thanks folks for the kind words on my mill and the input. :) What about the metal brackets that holds the cluster of leafs together?  ,,bedway

Thank You Sponsors!