iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dutch oven cooking basics

Started by Saki, October 01, 2006, 02:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saki

Been really studying on taking up trying to cook with a dutch oven. Before I hit the library, anybody got a favorite book title I should be looking for or advice in general? Saw a really great looking meal cooked that way on a show on RFD TV where the guy coated a prime rib with some herbs, etc and placed it in a dutch oven filled with rock salt. Made a great looking crust and he swore it isn't salty. Anybody ever try that meal out?

Patty

Cee Dub is on every Friday night on RFD tv. He got us interested in dutch oven cooking also. On eBay there are a few books available on the subject, but I have not read any. I just watch ol' Cee Dub for tips!
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Corley5

There's another cooking show on RFDTV that the guy uses cast iron over open fires.  Might be Campfire Cafe ???  I like Cee Dub too.  He's a retired Conservation Officer 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Patty

Yea, I've seen him too, Corley. It looks like it would be a great show if I could understand a word he said!  ??? ::)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

billbobtlh

Try this page for a start also search dutch oven cooking in google.
dutch ovens

RichlandSawyer

Howdy Saki,

I've been dutch oven cooking since i started boyscouts when i was 11. I would say dont worry about getting a cookbook that is specific to dutch ovens and concentrate more on getting the correct tempurature inside the oven. If you can learn to maintain a constant temp then you can cook "anything" in the oven. I have baked cinnamon rolls, bread, pizza, just about every cut of meat, soups cobblers and the list goes on. Do a search online for dutch oven info and you can get a chart that gives you a reference for the number of charcoal briquets on top and under the oven that gives you a certain internal temp. Then with some practice you can get a feel for using coals from hardwood from the campfire. The key is even temp so just dont get carried away piling the coal on and under the oven keep the coals to a minimum. Remember your food will be touching to the bottom so too much heat means burning. You can get away with more heat on top but the bottom isnt so forgiving.

Goodluck and happy cooking
RichlandSawyer
Every log i open up, a board falls out!!!

Engineer

I'll second some other advice - if you want some innovative ideas on dutch ovens, visit your local Boy Scout troop.  It's part of their merit badge program.   We have a couple (scouts AND ovens) in my house.   We have seen a few elaborate meals cooked with nothing more than a shovelful of glowing charcoal.

Saki

Great! Thanks to everybody for the great advice. I had always heard you could cook anything ina dutch oven that you could in a regular oven. I look forward to giving this a try. Everything always tastes so good when its cooked over a real fire. Thanks Again. ;D

Paschale

I'm with Engineer and RS...I learned to use a dutch oven in Boy Scouts.  It's all about getting the coals just right, and evenly spread on the top and bottom of the oven.  You can cook anything in there, like RS said.  My brother still uses his on a regular basis with his kids.  They light up the fire, he'll mix up some bisquick, and then grab some pie filling and cook up a tasty and easy cobbler.

The Boy Scouts can get pretty elaborate--we sure did!   ;D
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Tom_Averwater

I use a dutch oven alot when we camp.I'll use a small pan in the bottom of the dutch to cook in , holding it off the bottom to keep things from burning.Those chocolate chip cookies sure are good.
He who dies with the most toys wins .

Part_Timer

If ya go to the Boy Scouts of America home page they have several books on the subject.  They are pretty good too.  we are teaching the boys in our troop how.  they are for the most part new to the program and think camping food is soup and grilled cheese. >:( 

While your at it try cooking in a reflector oven.  last campout I made a birthday cake, corn bread and blueberry muffins.  There are a couple of pics on my gallery of some stuff we did on a hunting trip.

I made my reflector oven for 50 cents worth of pop rivets and some scrounged aluminum.  1 1/2 years of camping and still going strong.

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Thank You Sponsors!