iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chains stretching question. Oregon vs. Stihl.

Started by Steven A., October 01, 2006, 02:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven A.

I was in talking to a Stihl dealer the other day and a man brought a few stretched chains in to have a link taken out.
The Stihl dealer told me after the customer left, " Its these cheap Oregon chains. I see it all the time. The Stihl chains are prestretched and never have that problem."

True or just the Stihl man promoting his chain? I need to buy a few extras for my new Jonsered and I wondering which to buy.

SawTroll

Mostly BS/Hype, I believe, I have never had a stretching problem with either Stihl or Oregon, but I mostly prefere Stihl for other reasons (better stay-sharpe and lower price, at least at my Stihl dealer).
Information collector.

sawguy21

I agree with SawTroll. Stihl makes a big deal of their 'prestretched' chain and it is good quality. However, most chain stretch is the result of wear from abrasion and poor lubrication.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

fishhuntcutwood

Quote from: SawTroll on October 01, 2006, 02:38:27 PM
Mostly BS/Hype, I believe, I have never had a stretching problem with either Stihl or Oregon, but I mostly prefere Stihl for other reasons (better stay-sharpe and lower price, at least at my Stihl dealer).

Agreed!

Quote from: sawguy21 on October 01, 2006, 02:49:03 PM
I agree with SawTroll. Stihl makes a big deal of their 'prestretched' chain and it is good quality. However, most chain stretch is the result of wear from abrasion and poor lubrication.

And agreed!
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

beenthere

I agree with SawTroll. I don't think chains "stretch" like the name implies. Wrong adjustment when new, and/or unclean bar rails or sprocket when new, and then wear.  My experience is with Stihl (since '75) and never experienced any stretch in a new chain. Have heard about it however. And maybe Stihl does something to avoid the apparent problem.  ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kevin

Chains stretch with heat, that's why they tell you never to adjust a hot chain.
They should be cooled off by the time you get to the shop though. :D

MDP

My personall experience has been that oregon chain stretched 1/3 more than stihl chain, not a huge difference for me, just have had better luck with the stihl chain, it just seems tougher.

Mark

Al_Smith

Stihl does make good chain,can't argue that.Now weather it's worth about double the price of Oregon from Baileys I'll leave up to the user.

fishhuntcutwood

MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

RSteiner

Kevin is correct, chains stretch because of heat.

At work we run roller chain, which is very similar to saw chain in a hot environment under vacuum.  You would not believe the change in length after a few cycles. 

Saw chain will change in length more or less depending on the amount of heat you subject the chain to.  Trying to make that last cut with a dull chain puts a lot of heat in the chain, enough to take some of the temper out of the cutters.   Once this happens the chain never holds an edge like it did when new.

Randy
Randy

Steven A.

Thanks for all the good advice guys.

I just looked at Baileys website and I see they have a 16" bar and chain for $16.95.
Carlton Brand. That sounds cheap to me. Is Carlton a lower quality brand?

RSteiner

Carlton has been around for a long time.

My only experience was over 20 years ago with a length of saw chain, I liked the Oregon chain better.  However, the Oregon chain was a chisel tooth and the Carlton was not.

Randy
Randy

rebocardo

I have used some Carlton chain. It was not good, it was not bad. No opinion really.

I have never had any chain stretch enough where it could not be adjusted. Stihl, Oregon, or Husky.

treeape

In a year i me and my tree svc crew go through about 4-5 hundred feet of chain. I prefer to run Oregon and i have NEVER had to remove a link because of chain stretch. Some thing else is wrong.

outdoortype

I think the Stihl dealer was either misinformed or pulling your leg.  I say this because I bought a brand new Stihl chainsaw w/Stihl chain & it stretched more than my new Oregon chain on my new Husky.  Also when I put a new Stihl chain on that same on Husky, It seemed to stretch more than the oregon did. I was amazed because I expected exactly the opposite.  I prefer the Stihl brand because it seems to stay sharp longer but it doesn't cut much faster if at all.  Oregon makes a pretty good chain.  From what I've heard, Stihl has yet to find an answer to Oregon's 95VP.

ehp

some of the stihl chain is based off of .063 then the driver thinned down to the gauge of the bar but the top of the driver where the rivets are is still .063 so that makes the chain stretch less but also makes the chain cut a wider path threw the log, the stihl chain forsure is a harder metal but that can be good and bad  it depends more on what you are cutting .
I know on the 044's stihls with a 20 inch bar and 7 pin gear you can stretch the chain to where you need to pull a link out very easy cause when brandnew you are about half way threw your chain adjustments  so it doesnot leave much left , guys falling trees donot have much trouble but the guys cutting the trees up on the landings do

Thank You Sponsors!