iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

McCulloch Pro Mac 610

Started by FREDRICO, September 30, 2006, 07:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FREDRICO

Got a cheap buy on a 610 McCulloch and nervously brought it home, drained out the gas and put in fresh 50-1. (always use 91+ octane) Started on the first pull and seems to run pretty good. Now I haven't used a Mac since the 60's so would like to know how old this saw would be (it has a chain brake on it) and what would be the proper oil to gas I should be using. It has a 24 in. bar so am wondering what the pitch of the chain would be. Any info would be appreciated.    Fredrico.

twoodward15

Fredrico, I've got the timber bear (it's a small version of the 610). I think they are supposed to run 40:1.  Unfortunately it isn't the powerhouse that you'd think it should be.  I use mine on a chainsaw mill and it does an OK job.  Nothing spectacular, but it'll have to do until I can get a better bigger saw.  All I can say is get the idle worked out so that when it heats up you can let it idle to cool off.  Mine gets very hot.  It's been a hard starting saw, but I think I've got that all worked out now.  Time will tell.
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

sawguy21

Probably uses 3/8 .050 chain which is common. Because of the chain brake, it was built in the 80's during the Black & Decker period. The price was right so run er till she drops.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

They aren't a bad old saw in spite of the bad rap a lot of folks have given them.It could have been made in the late 70's,they all had chain brakes.

The chain size is 3/8 " .050 .They came new with either a 16" or 20" bar ,so most likely that 24" was an after thought. Around 1980 ,K-Mart sold them for $169.95,with a 16 " bar.They were around $250 when they first hit the market.
McCulloch sold a bunch of them.

My 610 has worn out 4 bars and is on the 5 th.Most likely went through a 5 gallon bucket full of chain loops.I've always ran it on 32 to 1,old school,ya know.It doesn't get used that much any more but the old gal will still do a good days work in spite of being around 30 years old.

My one suggestion on that saw is to periodically check the fasteners because it will shake them loose.The anti vib really is not that bad though .

Most of the hard starting problems are stiff innards in the carb.On mine believe it not,I've never had the carb off in all these years.

Oh,I nearly forgot,keep the saw dust blown out of that saw on a regular bassis.The danged solid state ignitions will give you fits if they over heat,which they do if they don't get air.You can tug on that thing til the cows come home and no putt putt  what so ever until they cool off.

Tom

I ran a PM610 in my sawmill operation to split logs, buck and trim.  It did me a good. job.  The only complaints I had were, weight, sharp corners (it is a square box) and the oiler wouldn't oil.  It had an automatic oiler that was backed up with a manual oiler. Thank goodness, or I would have been dead in the water.  One day, when it was about 9 or 10 years old, the manual oiler quit.  The plunger wouldn't plunge.  I pushed too hard and something gave way inside. It never oiled again.  I tried to get another oil pump for it, but there was nothing available.  It sat in my wife's flower bed for several years and I finally gave it to a neigbor's boy.   He took it home with the intentions of putting it on a go-cart.  It still ran like a bandit. :D

Jim Roy

I've got a 610 dating back to Feb 82.  The Pro Mac 610/650 manual that came with it says  "Use only regular grade leaded gasoline. Do not use highly leaded, unleaded or low lead gasolines. Chain saw fuel is a mixture of gasoline and lubricating oil. The correct ratio of
gasoline to oil is very important. Follow the ratios in the Fuel Mixture Table. McCulloch 40:1 Two-Cycle Custom Lubricant is recommended. If not available, use a good grade SAE 40
two-cycle oil at a ratio of 20 to 1."

I now use Stihl oil at 40:1 and regular 87 octane gas.  Evidently the usage has been so low that the unleaded gasoline available to day hasn't become a problem but what are others doing about the "unleaded problem".

Jim

leweee

just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Lankyloader

Would like to thank those who answered the pro mac 610. Hey lewee, that site you recommended was great. Have printed that up and it has all the info I needed.

Al_Smith

Quote from: Jim Roy on October 02, 2006, 09:44:56 AM

I now use Stihl oil at 40:1 and regular 87 octane gas.  Evidently the usage has been so low that the unleaded gasoline available to day hasn't become a problem but what are others doing about the "unleaded problem".

Jim
Tetraethel lead was added to gasoline to act as an anti knock compound and it also kind of lubricated the exhaust valves of 4 cycle engines.I personally have not had any problems what so ever with the modern gasolines .Fact of the matter,some of the old Mac Kart engines were recommended to run on white gas .White gas,for those that don't know,was non leaded gas they sold to use as lantern fuel,back in the days of leaded gasoline.The lead would foul the jets of Coleman lanterns and stoves.

Thank You Sponsors!