iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fire Pits

Started by Radar67, September 29, 2006, 07:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radar67

Does anyone know the best rocks to use for an outdoor fire pit? I'm looking for something that won't explode when they get heated up.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Mr Mom

Have you tryed fire brick?? Should get them at your Tractor supply store. I have seen them there.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

Tom

What kind of fire pit, Radar, a cooking pit or a trash pit?

I use some old concrete flooring cut from a warehouse on mine.  It was about 8 inches thick and was cut out in 2'x2 1/2' blocks, give or take.  The concrete will burn and have to be replaced, but you are talking about 10 years or so.  A little protection should make it last even longer.  I'm not familiar with stone. We don't have any. :D.

Radar67

I want to build a camp fire for minor cooking and in general, just to have a place to contain the fire and enjoy it. I'm looking for more of a rustic look, something like rip-rap or large river rock. I know the rip-rap will explode when heated.

Stew

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

Furby

From what I have read, any rock that hasn't been recently submerged should be ok to use.
I've also read to heat them up slowly and not real hot the first few times, as a way to dry them a bit just in case.
Haven't had a lot of experience using rocks though so don't take my word for it.
I use concrete pavers for mine here at home. Dry stacked.

pigman

We made a firepit out of some old limestone rocks ( I guess there is no such thing as as  new rocks  ::) )a couple of years ago. The rocks have not exploded yet.

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Radar67

Thanks guys. Bob, yours is very similar to what I'm looking for.

Stew

Timburr

Rock cakes won't explode when they get eated up  :D

A local historian once told us that they used to use rocks that the dew  collected on....these were the ones that got wet in heavy dew. Something about thermal conductivity and non-porosity.

I've never tested whether this is fact or fallacy, 'cos all we have is limestone. In 10 year, we've had a few split, but not explode.
Sense is not common

pappy

We have a variety of rock to choose from,, granite, shale,ledge,quarts and any mixture of the afore mentioned...

I ain't no rock doc but they will all break down with time from the heat,, some will spit a fragment but not too far and most will just crack... Unlike Tom we have many, many,many to choose from... :) so finding a replacement isn't hard... Pile em up,, place a piece of steel catwalk on top and ya guts ya self a grill ta place your steak basket or cast iron pan to cook on...  Here we go again this thread will most likely turn toward food again  ;D
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Murf

It's not quite so rustic, but a couple of old 20" split rim truck rims, welded together make a first class fire container.

Make a dandy BBQ too!!  8)
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

thurlow

Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Timburr on September 30, 2006, 07:44:31 AM
A local historian once told us that they used to use rocks that the dew  collected on....these were the ones that got wet in heavy dew. Something about thermal conductivity and non-porosity.

I've seen rocks like this many times and most often find them on high humidy days although there is no rain and the ground and woods are dry. These rocks are usually dark gray or almost black. The dew or humidy beads up on the surface.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Timburr

I'm glad you've made a statement. If you'd asked ?? I wouldn't be able to clarify :D :-X
Sense is not common

Murf

Seems just about exactly what I was thinkin' about there Thurlow.....  ::)

Obviously a man of good taste and sound judgement.  :D

If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Furby

Saw this at a customer's today and thought of this thread.
It is only a display, but I could see it in use with a couple changes.

Radar67

Furby, that is exactly what I had in mind for the rocks.

Stew

Mooseherder

This is our Firepit.
A 18 Wheeler Rim surrounded by field rocks.
A one inch Pipe is driven into the ground.
The Dutch Ovens are on an Arm that swings off the fire when it gets too hot
or while stirring the pot.  fire_smiley
The lower grill grate also swings off the fire when not cooking to enjoying the fire
at night.  Both are on machined collars w/tightening screws that allow you to adjust the heights of the grate or Pot arm. The pot arm has 4 slits cut into the top that hold the pot handles in place or for strategic placement of the pots.

My Father in Law on the left, Brother in Law , then Me. ;D

Tom

sawguy21

Those gentlemen certainly know how to properly spend a summer evening. 8)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Norm

Mooseherder did you make the grill grates and such or was it something you bought. I've been wanting one of those but wondered if they are available for sale.

Mooseherder

Norm,
I had made the original prototype without the grates, basically wanted it for the Dutch Ovens. Drove a pipe into the ground and set-up an extended plant holder bracket on a smaller diameter pipe(longer) that fit into the previous pipe. This allowed for swinging the pots off the fire. My friend who owns a machine shop saw what I was attempting to do and showed up with this surprise one Sunday afternoon. It was totally unexpected. He did a great job and much heavier duty than the prototype. Anybody who can weld will have an easy time to make one. They can save the photo in their pics and resize it for better view.
He showed up, Drove the pipe in the ground, slid the first collar that went below the grill grates, set the collar height (he had cut each collar set bolt in half and welded the top half across the set bolt to form a T for ease of moving the collars up or down. Slid the Grill grate over next(larger diameter pipe welded to the back of grill grate) then slid a collar next to support the Pot Arm, Then slid the Arm over the collar (Back of arm is welded to larger diameter pipe also.
I encouraged him to make a hundred of them and I would sell every one. He says too busy.
The grill grates also act as a holding table if desired. It also makes great hamburgers when there is a circle of family and friends around the fire at night. Okay, now I am missing my camp. :(

Norm

Thanks for the explanation Mooseherder. They remind me of the ones I've seen used on campfire cafe only yours look heavier duty. My metal working skills are terrible but I'll keep this thread in my memory in case I do some bartering with someone handy with a welder. :)

Woodcarver

You might take a look at Cablelas, Norm.

http://www.cabelas.com/products/Ccat570006.jsp

Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

DanG

You guys get mighty fancy with some of your doo-dads.  My firepit is just an old 15" Dodge wheel set on 3 brickbats.  It works real good, especially since the tire has burned away.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Norm

Thank You Sponsors!