Forum > General Board

wood stove install and flue pipes

<< < (2/3) > >>

bitternut:
I agree with mike about the two 45's instead of the 90. I don't like triple wall pipe on the outside. I would use double wall with 1" insulation . Triple wall will give you a cold chimney and lots of creostoe. Make sure that the upper vertical section is long enough to give you a good draft. That 4' horizontal section is going to reduce your draft considerably. To be honest with you I would move the stove a lot closer to the back wall. To do that you would need to use a metal heat shield at the back of your stove and also a metal heat shield on the pipe on the back side. I have that on my stove and it is within a foot of the back wall.

Wait a minute...........your in the south. What do you need a woodstove for? :D  :D

SwampDonkey:
I don't know how they expect you to slant that last 40" pipe into the thimble. I've never seen it done on any flu here. It's usually straight and square into the thimble, but the pipe length is no more than 24 inches from the last elbow. Most of the time the stove sits to the left or right and not directly square in front of the flu. This way the pipe up from the stove hits an elbow, then that next section slants and then another elbow into the 24" section, then into the thimble. Something like this. But you can easily modify the setup for a stove sitting square in front of the flu with 45 deg elbows as suggested. Use a heat shield behind your stove and above the stove pipe.

beenthere:
I've an example of an angled stove pipe on my wood stove. I like the "less than 90 elbow" for better draft.
The first is from the wood boiler to the chimney.

The second shows the clay tile thimble I cemented into the clay tile chimney, and inserted a 6" pipe into that.

This is the original installation of 30 years ago. I never want to have to punch a hole into another clay chimney tile ever again. Once was enough.  :)

rebocardo:
> What do you need a woodstove for?

To defeat my $300+ a month gas bill from last year. They did not bill me for three months because the company was switching hands (gas south to south gas) and when they sent the bill it was over $1100 just for the gas usage for only three months. Nice to tell you the rates increased after you already have used the material/gas. I was used to $30-$50 a month for the gas water heater and clothes dryer. Nearly had a stroke when I saw the bill :D

I completely ditched the gas in my house, that alone saved $130 a year just on the monthly service charge.

When I moved to the Atlanta GA area I thought "hot" and "peaches". Sometimes it gets down to 10 degrees here. Though it usually pops up to 40-50 degrees by three p.m.

Yea, I agree about the 45 degrees. Unfortunately, it does not seem they make the elbows (durablack - single wall) in anything other then 90 degrees and they only make the duraplus (triple wall) elbows in 30 degrees. I thought about trying to mix in another OEM 45 degree elbow  (I figured 6" is 6").  But, they give such dire warnings I got scared  ;)

My wall kit came with only a 9" extension for through the wall, had to buy buy another 12" triple wall for another $40. Spent more on materials then I did the stove  :o

The exterior chimney itself is going to be six feet tall and should put it as the highest point on the roof, if not above it. So, I am hoping that provides a good draft. I might run a grounding strap to it even though my house is surrounded by taller trees.

So, stove cement where the single mets the triple and leave the joints open on the single wall and I should be all set. I am going to screw all the joints together (impossible for the single to triple wall) once the set up is final.

> any of you guys know the practical differences from the double walled stuff to the triple walled stuff?

Yes, double wall (wall/insulation/wall) requires 18"+ clearance to anything combustible, so it can not be inserted through a stick built wall. If you do, you have to build an air box, etc. etc. Once done, you might as well just buy the triple wall stuff.

I had to retrofit a house once (working for a contractor) that had it going through a very tall ceiling and once you get the boxes built and everything inspected it just is not worth it. You have to insulate the screws from wood etc.

What triple wall (wall/insulation/wall/vented space/wall)does is surround double wall with an air pocket and a way to vent the heat between the 2nd and 3rd wall to the outside chimney to prevent build up of heat within the pipe.

Triple wall is rated 2100 degrees for an hour or something such as that. So, unless you botched the installation or ran a coal fire, you would have a tough time burning your house down. Which is what I worry about, botching the install since it is my first time.

So, triple wall installs were ever you can cut out a 14.50x14.50 hole. Which is the clearance between two studs on a normal 16 oc 2x4 wall.   

breederman:
  we have the triple walled chimney going up inside the house.  It runs through the corner of bedroom closets. I didn't frame it in the closets for a long time and you could always hold you hand on it.  Never had a creosote problem, in fact I don't even own a brush for it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version