iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cooks super sharp

Started by pacodog, September 29, 2006, 03:57:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pacodog

hello everyone was reading in cooks magazine about their new blade has anyone tried this with what results.

duffdav

I got five last week . I was curious as to what could be so radically different to deserve all the accolades they are heaping on them and a pending patent. I also got some Simonds and Lenox in the same order to compare them with. It seems the only difference I could discern is the back of the tooth is shallower and not as high compared to the Simonds and Lenox. I need to get out the protractor and check. It looks like a slight variation of what they were selling as their Tech blade.

I have used three of them so far and seen no difference from normal as far as cutting sharpness or duration of sharpness at least in what we were sawing this past week. I get cutoff trim pieces of 6x10 's that a local company are buying for some kind of piling for the subways of New York City. I saw them sideways with the length of the grain into 10x14x1.5 wedges for the mining industry. This produces piles of big long stringy strands. Maybe a deeper gullet is better for the chip to curl up in. It may be unfair to rate them until I can do some normal sawing but the fellow running my mill asked me not to get anymore. I ordered Lenox this week.

The special sharpening instructions say just sharpen the face of the tooth and not the backslope for a few times as they revert back to a normal shape. It doesn't mention what angles to attempt to maintain to keep them as Super Sharps.

My initial impression is disappointment. Hopefully others have better results in normal sawing as I am sure we all would like to see something radically better.

Thank You Sponsors!