iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Todays special project

Started by chet, September 28, 2006, 08:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chet

This is 28'x12" White Spruce octogon post, that will become the center post of a spiral staircase.

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

sprucebunny

That sounds like an interesting project.

Will the treads be spruce, also ???

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

getoverit

I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

pigman

Your mill must be longer than the average mill. ;D  That post looks like it has eight sides. :P
Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Left Coast Chris

How did you get the sides so even?  Do you have a jig?

Looks like you cut a square then stood the cant up on its corner and shaved coners off?

Nice job!   8)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

ScottAR

Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Burlkraft

Wow Chet...That's one nice post.......It looks to be even on all sides ;D ;D

Good job :)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

chet

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

chet

The tough part of da whole project, was finding a log big enough and straight enough that I could center the pith, maintain 12", and have clean wood over the entire length.

pasbuild

If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

chet

:o  Dat wasn't even nice.  :D

OneWithWood

Question, Chet: Will the white spruce split like poplar does when centering the pith?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

chet

The tree I used was a blow down and had been down for about a year. Checking with a moisture meter after I cut it, it was already at 22%.  :)   
Normally Spruce isn't as prone to splitting and being already almost dry should really help.

tcsmpsi

Chet,

Did you cut that with your Norwood?

A good looking piece of wood and should be integral to an awesome set of spiral stairs.

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

chet

Yup, cut it on da Norwood. The staircase is for a private invitation only supper club in town.

Frank_Pender

Chet, are you going to be invited to the club?
Frank Pender

chet

:D I'm not too sure if I'd fit in with dat kind of crowd.  ::)  Even if I did brush all da sawdust from my jeans.  ;D

tcsmpsi

Chet

Since I know now that you did cut it on the Norwood, what kind of deck set up do you have for that length?

If I remember correctly, didn't I see it in a mobile mode?  Is your long deck set up something that you 'back into' (so to speak)?
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Thank You Sponsors!